Anxiety and Depression Support
29,325 members29,818 posts

Losing faith in God with this illness

I believe in God and have my own personal relationship..I am more spiritual than religious and have strong faith my own way..at this point though, a week or so, I'm starting to have doubts and am questioning myself..it doesn't scare me, but I just never thought I'll have come to this..i just want to hear some feedback to gain back that little missing faith before it manifests to the worst..I am everywhere but nowhere with depression and anxiety and didn't think I would let it affect my spiritual faith but it has..thank you all in advance.. god bless everyone..

46 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Ellinaki. That sounds just like me.... i lost my partner last year in the blink of an eye my world had changed. I too have always been a spiritual person (not religious) but i felt that crumble. I was happy in my own personal beliefs until this point and when i started to question it i just felt nothing. I saw the futility of life and nothing else.

Im not going to ramble on but now - a year and 3 months later, i can feel him with me.

My advise is to try to put your faith out of your mind and gradually you will feel those things you hold as sacred will return.

I hope you can regain your spirituality but just be patient.....

Love and Peace

Shadow

3 likes

Thank you for sharing your story..love and peace to you too..

1 like

Hello ellinaki!

I believe as you do and find my own version of spirituality to be fulfilling. I try to think of my difficulties as opportunities to grow and evolve into the person that my God wants me to be. I ask for help in coping with difficulties. When you make it out to the other side, you will have a greater understanding for the experiences. Just take it one day at a time, staying close to your form of spirituality. Have faith and trust that these trying times are to be a part of your beautiful journey! Wishing you the best 🌷🌞🌷

Thank you so much..

1 like

God is always with us, even when it’s hard to feel his presence! Pray for guidance.

Thank you

Well hello there!!! Keep your power, I know you can because I believe in you!! I've now gotten to the point that only I can give my power up, don't allow anyone to take that from you. Stand strong & proud!!! Love & Hugs!!!

2 likes

Thank you so much..

1 like

You know it's my pleasure!! Love & Hugs!!! Hey here's my joy just for you!! I've got a lot of it today, I'm going to make it a great day no matter what comes my way!!!

Hehe..thank you..

Great I made you laugh....keep on doing it!!! You know I'm here for you & always will be! Dump trucks of love & hugs, sounds like you need that right now. XXX

1 like

I think it’s natural to question sometimes. I know the feeling of doubting and it’s frustrating and saddening. What I do is pray for guidance. You are a beautiful soul and have inspired me many beautiful times. I believe you will find what you need my friend. Hang in there 💕

1 like

Thank you so much.

I wish,that you will feel better soon. I understand, maybe you are like me and just wanna give up bit can't. Best to u

Thank you.

I love Psalms in times of fear or doubting. (When I’m not so discouraged that I dismiss it) David’s progression is ‘woe is me, woe is me, what do I do? How do I get out of this? Why are they after me? Where can I go? Where are you God? Do you care?’ Eventually he moves to some hope and faith but I love and relate to that progression. It doesn’t say what span of time the progression is so do not be hard on yourself about that. You’ll believe when you believe. Not before and not later. Sit with it and let it work.

Grace and peace to you.

2 likes

Thank you..also to you.

I’ve been on this struggle for the last year or so. I haven’t been to church & I have been really angry with God for lots of things that have happened. I don’t know what to do, or how to fix it. I keep reading the Bible & it doesn’t ease my pain. I pray, but I don’t feel that comfort anymore. I feel so far from Him, & I don’t know what else to do. I hope things get better for you, & if you have any advice for me as well - that would be lovely. <3

2 likes

I just read admin comments about religion and politics. I enjoy conversations like this but will choose to respect the forum policy for the benefit of all. I’m in favor of group private messaging to fulfill prayer needs or biblical encouragement so as not to incite or take away from the intent of this forum.

2 likes

Thank you in advance for following these rules in the future. As faux says , this is not a site of exclusion. I am sure you can find other sites or PM members about these needs. I have flagged Elliaki's original post.

1 like

Why is it when we talked about politics on this site....a lot of people complained and wrote about how it's breaking the site rules about no politics, because it causes conflict...but it also says no religious rhetoric either...there have been many people, myself included, who have had horrific experiences from so called Christians....and that is why we don't post 'trigger' comments, and it's why the site rules say no politics or religion. Why are these posts allowed....are we going to burst into flames because some of us don't want them here? It's not just a site for Christians....it should be for everyone...this single mindedness excludes those that are not of this one faith....ones that are agnostic, ones who have been abused in the name of god. I've seen some of the worst abuse on sites whose bible thumping members used scripture to decimate other members and abuse them.

2 likes

Hey thanks Faux- glad you found this! You rock!

1 like

Thank you...my post doesn't say anything about Christians... regardless, I'm happy you replied..

the comments are the issue ellinaki....I really value your sharing, but for some members it becomes a forum for religious rhetoric and then it starts getting preachy and one sided. I've seen it happen on sites before. For some members such as myself who have had religion used against us, and have been bullied and abused in the name of god, it's a trigger for us. And when the ball starts rolling on posting prayers and scripture it seems to become a theme on these sites. I have nothing against anyone's faith....It was expressed by some members here to me about commenting too much about political views and I understood how that can be offensive to some and argumentative. So it's the site rules, and that's understandable.

2 likes

Please remember- this is not a religious site- those are the rules. Go to another forum if you wish.

there is a time and a place for everything.....and even here we can pm other members to talk about issues that the site rules don't permit on general posting.

1 like

You're right faux- thanks for the reminder!

1 like

Do you feel good for posting?..you should not stick your nose where it doesn't fit next time..pls move on..and you can't talk about rules yourself..hypocrite..but whatever makes you happy..pls don't reply to any of my posts..

Please don't take this personally....I am sorry your hurt...this is what always ends up happening....and I absolutely hate this when someone gets hurt...no matter how diplomatic you try to be, religion is always such a touchy topic, I have Jews, Catholics, Christian Protestants, and Agnostics in my family. They are also divided on politics right down the middle. So....we don't discuss politics or religion....for this exact reason, someone takes it to heart and gets their feelings hurt.

1 like

I'm not hurt at all..this is great that we are having this chat and you are able to express anything you like..but it's people like gogogirl that need to to express their views differently so we don't end up like this...I'm all good..I'm glad we all got this out..we are in it together one way or another..

Did I call you names? Absolutely not. Please read what Faux says- I concur with her. I referred to the rules- and that is not being a hypocrite. This site is not for personal name calling either- but I am not offended, and don't know why you would take following the rules of the site personally. You are welcome to PM anyone about these issues.

Agnostic is considered religious as well as ‘bible thumping’ would be considered derogatory. Let’s respect all forms please and refrain.

2 likes

agreed...no disrespect intended....although I don't think being agnostic is a religion.

3 likes

❤️to all:)

1 like

It's not religious.

4 likes

Hey, truce- let's move to the next topic , and have a good day. You can always see the rules on the site- this is not personal . Have a good day, and I am not a hypocrite. Gee, I do not even know you. The best to you, though- we are all on here because we are just reaching out for support.

1 like

My only theory is that people who suffer through things grow wiser and stronger. They experience deeper emotions and understanding than people who rot in prison or who are genuinely bad people. Bad people maybe aren’t worth hardship because they’re so subprime compared to good people. They don’t deserve to grow and become wiser through challenging times.. Idk if that makes sense.. but i always tell myself god wouldn’t give anyone anything they couldn’t handle..

Yeah I hear you..I think like that too..thanks for reassuring me..I got scared cause god is my only hope..and I was losing hope..and I don't want to lose my connection with god...

4 likes

Listen to sermons by Charles Stanley he talks about our trials and anxiety and depression, and our relationship with God. ❤️

1 like

Thank you

2 likes

Don’t lose faith. My brother fought an aggressive cancer for three years, and near the end he told me “There is Grace to be found in suffering” .

It changed my whole perspective.

We also know a young married couple, she is 29 and was diagnosed with Stage Four brain cancer. Again, she and her husband are in a very bad way, but their Faith is like a beacon to me and everyone around them.

I will pray for you, that if it be God’s will you will recover, and if not, then He send send His love and Grace to sustain you and keep you close to Him.

Give your pain to God, He will be up all night anyway.

May He bless and keep you and let His grace shine upon you.

2 likes

(((((((((Ellinaki)))))))))) I have lost my close connection to God a few years ago and I still try spiritually but it’s way different. I’m really sad about it as it’s the most important thing to me.

So maybe I understand where you are coming from. And I think we can try to be be patient and never blame ourselves. Ooops I blame myself ... oh well. ;p

1 like

It’s not a matter of blame if you were to get a disease like cancer you want to be blame yourself for getting it it’s the same thing with depression and anxiety it just happens and the mind tries to trick you into believing things that you never would’ve believed of before don’t let depression and anxiety define you there is hope and there is answers at least give the acupuncture I try and see if it works for you it’s definitely better than pills

I suffered from major depressive disorder and anxiety it was like a living nightmare for almost one year I was taking pills but none of them seem to work at all I prayed and prayed and prayed but no change it didn’t happen until someone recommended going to acupuncture after five sessions I was back to my normal self absolutely no depression and no anxiety I recommend acupuncture to anyone that is suffering there’s no need to suffer

1 like

Shoot I’m having doubts also. Things are getting worst for me. It’s harder and harder keeping faith in something that I can’t see or hear:( I’m scared, but there’s really nothing I can do.

I'm scared too...

You may also like...