Anxiety and Depression Support
23,070 members21,296 posts

Depressed and anxious

Been living with depression my whole life. Anxiety started in my mid 20s. With therapy and medication I have manged to live a pretty good life. Lately things started building up. Whenever I get like this I've leaned it'd usually not just one thing but several things all coming together at once. Summer is the worst time of year for me with the humidity and bad days for folks like me with respiratory problems. I have had a couple bad weeks in a row now with bad headaches and it wears me down. My Dog is having issues and may be looking at end of life. I feel like I've been dealing with having to go through this for awhile. I thought I was losing her last September when I found the lump on her. The worst part is not knowing if and when anything will happen. In any case it's been rough here lately.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I can totally empathize with you...around 3 weeks ago I took our 14 year old husky to be euthanized. I have not regretted that decision for one minute. I could not watch him suffer another day. I know that he’s running again and no longer feels like an old man. The anguish and pity I felt for his condition is also free.

I agree with you that usually our depression stems from a cluster of different stressors. Keep fighting and remember that it will pass either in time or by taking deliberate, positive steps to make it happen. I am thinking about you! 🙂

1 like

Thanks, my dog is 13. She had some seizures recently. The vet did blood work and he one number was high for her heart. She had the seizures when she got really excited as she was going to the car. Right now she stays in the house and is doing good. There is no evidence of any problems. I'm waiting to hear from the vet with more information. I have an anxiety problem and I don't want to through this but if the dog is doing OK I can't see putting her down, even though it's tough

1 like

I totally agree with you! Thank goodness she’s doing better!

I’m sorry kateba. I’m in my 40s and have had anxiety and depression since my 20s as well. I have also done quite well for several years with medication and occasional therapy, but this summer has been horrible. I got hit sideways with multiple stresses all at once and of course this happened after I had successfully weaned off my Zoloft. I’m an educator so I’m off for the summer with limited income and no daily agenda to keep me busy. I did start therapy and also weaning back on my Zoloft. Both have been very helpful as has this group. I have 3 little dogs and I know how therapeutic pets can be. How old is your dog? Do you have other pets? Hang in there. You aren’t alone and welcome to this amazing group of caring and understanding people.

Your comment about "not knowing if and when anything will happen" hit home with me. I've had anxiety since my early 20s. I've had the same experience where the anxiety will get worse when stressful things are going on, especially when you don't know what to expect. As someone with anxiety, I don't cope well when I feel that the future is uncertain (even though, in reality, the future is ALWAYS uncertain). Right now, for instance, I'm going through a divorce and the sale of our home. Not only have I been depressed and in mourning, but my anxious thinking has soared, and my usually mild OCD symptoms have worsened.

What I have learned over the years is it's about control. I tried for years to be in control of everything and I realized there are many things you can't control. My mind has this habit of imagining the worse possible senerios, like with my dog. The vet called last night and I got much more encouraging news and she's the expert. My mind still wants to contradict her. I'm not sure you can ever turn those thoughts off, just have to realize when they start that they are not rational.

You may also like...