Anxiety and Depression Support
26,351 members25,699 posts

Medication vs Medicating

Greetings all,

With no shame whatsoever I’m on medications for depression and anxiety. I must say they have helped save my life from being miserable.

Then there’s “Medicating.” That is, instant fixes that temporarily feel good but wear off not so long after. The type of Medicating I’m writing about is shopping for items that seem attractive but I really don’t need.

For example, I bought a new laptop a few months ago. It seemed so attractive and powerful. Yet the laptop I already had was good enough. I felt that “rush” when the new laptop arrived. But after it was all set up, a few days later the rush wore off and the depression returned.

So I’m making a new commitment I would like to share with everyone: I will only buy things that I actually need, such as groceries, household items, etc. Big ticket items that I don’t need, I do not want to buy to “Medicate.”

I’ve learned if there truly is a positive way to “Medicate,” it’s meeting other people that are friendly, empathetic and supportive, such as this site.

Thank you for being here and for your support.

Best,

MZ

14 Replies
oldestnewest

I am guilty of medicating as well. I am trying to become more self conscious and aware so that I am able to lessen or avoid this type of behavior.

3 likes

Welcome to your home away from home.

It’s really great you can notice what you have medicated yourself with and have the fight to change it. It’s something to be proud of.

July 26 is my sobriety date. It’s 12 years thank god!

Keep your smile on your face. Don’t ever give up. We are always here for you.

3 likes

Thank you Fishmonster. Do remind me again of 7/26. March up and get that 12 year sobriety chip!

Thanks for being there.

MZ

1 like

How did you do it ? Sobriety ? I am struggling because I am on medications for depression and anxiety but crave alcohol for numbness. Although lately it's more of lethargy and anger..but I can't seem to stop for even a whole day, afraid of feeling or not even knowing what I should feel like in the first place.

1 like

Hi Bug,

I recommend signing up at alcoholexperiment.com. It's a very informative and supportive site.

Best wishes,

Eliza

I’m also on anxiety medication Xanax and will be starting a new antidepressant in a week when my Shrink gets back in town. I look at it this way I’ll take Xanax as needed like a diabetic takes insulin when needed. Yes I’m also diabetic. As far as purchasing items , I find myself on amazon every night buying stuff. Were all looking for that feel good feeling but it last 24 hours and I need that fix again. It could be worse people do a lot worse things to get that fix.

1 like

They call that retail therapy. It’s like any other drug. You get a taste and start chasing the high. Kudos to you for recognizing it. I too am guilty of retail therapy. Like you I have set limits and seek healthier ways.

1 like

I relate to that. I slowly stopped entering sites like Amazon, nowdays I don't even remember anymore, unless I really need something. But I still strugle with food, I medicate myself and minutes later It's not enough anymore. I'm trying to keep away of unhealthy products and similar recipes.

I'm happy with this new accomplishment of yours. I wish you the best.

Very true MrZee thank you for sharing your experience!

1 like

You’re welcome, ReardenSt331

MR Zee - great words of wisdom-

1 like

Thank you Laxma ❤️

Hi MrZee, just stopping by to wish you a good weekend

and hope you are doing well. Agora1 :) x

1 like

Thank you Agora1. It’s a day at a time for me. I have my ups and my downs. But I truly cherish the ups. I’ve learned at my age that “ups” may last only for a fleeting moment which means I do what I can to enjoy the moments when they do occur.

1 like

You may also like...