Anxiety and Depression Support
28,359 members28,560 posts

Words are powerful medicine or poison... you choose

A learning experience today. A new poster was ungrateful for some advice (from an incredible contributor and friend of mine) that could have set her free had she given it a chance. Just a reminder, your words matter here. Respect people who put their neck out to try to help. We are broken and taped back together just like you. Never assume your pain is greater than someone else’s. Everyone has tragedy and a broken heart. Everyone deserves basic decency and respect. I stand with all of you fabulous people here who work hard every day to support eachother. So grateful and humbled to call you my friends. And I’ll defend you to the end. This is a hate-free zone!!

39 Replies
oldestnewest

I completely agree with you. No one has to answer any others on here and try to help but if we all weren't around there wouldn't be a site. There is a great group of members here now who are lovely and caring and this site has improved no end in my opinion.

You may not like what someone says but the fact they have bothered to reply and give an honest genuine response should be respected and there is no place on here for rudeness or trolling others because you don't like what they say.

I am very hesitant in answering new people until they have been here a while and I think they are ok. At one time I tried to make sure most newbies had at least one reply but having had my hand bitten off a few times am much more cautious. Also so many new people just post the once and never come back in again so leaving a long reply is a waste. That seems a shame but it's just life I guess. x

12 likes

Yes my friend I’m beginning to see how this works. Some folks hurt people for no reason, just like in the real world. So glad you’re here by the way! Can’t let the darkness drag us down. Can. Not. Let. That. Happen!! Will keep my heart open for those who need my love. I have so much of it to give it’s pouring out all over. As is the pain at times. Thanks for your support my hyperkitty friend!!

5 likes

Purr purr hi just logged in and saw the post you are talking about and have put my 2 cents in. No one but no one attacks my friends on here and if I see it I will always say something. I feel sorry when someone is hurt enough to do that but it impacts on the rest of us which isn't fair. Take care my friend x

3 likes

It’s true. This person is in immense pain. But you can see she rebuffs help, she turns away from the light, her negativity consumes her. An example of what NOT to do in life. Thanks again for your hard-won wisdom. Lord knows I need all I can get.

4 likes

Hypercat, i have the greatest respect for all the knowledge you bring to our forum. I am always grateful we have someone like you.

I do, however disagree, with you when you say that leaving a long reply to a newbie is often a waste of time. When I reply to someone, I always take into account that there are others who will read my comments. Maybe, just maybe, those others can gain insight into something I have said, and yet never post it.

Another thing I try to keep in mind is that so many of the younger generation have grown up in day care facilities. Manners are not taught. The skill of getting along with others is not taught. Negotiation is not taught. So many life skills that are typically taught in families are not taught in day care. No fault of the families. So many are forced to work constantly, and are then exhausted when they are home. These things are not taught in the schools, either. These are the signs of a society in breakdown. But that is a different subject.

How much does this contribute to the behavior we see in the young; why do so many feel so depressed, anxious, unwanted, unloved, out of sorts, feel lost, any and/or all of the things we see expressed on this forum?

The point I am trying to make - any small way that I may be of help, gives me a reason to live. We all need a reason to live, and this, plus my grandson, is mine.

It is okay if you don't want to post to newbies. I respect your wishes. but, often I will. Even though, at times, I have felt baited. I accept that as a possible consequence, and do not become alarmed, just sad for the person.

You can show someone the door, but only they can walk through it. You tried, Lisa. That's all any of us can ask. 😀

3 likes

Your wisdom knows no bounds. Your words heal me! Thanks Brian!

3 likes

True that. Love ya! XO That is the sweetest pooch! :) adorable. Made me smile!

1 like

Love ya too my sweet!! 💕👯‍♀️💕

Thanks for your support!

1 like

You bet! :)

1 like

I agree. Very well said! Cute dog, by the way.

2 likes

Thank you so much! Yes he is the cutest boy oh man is he cute...💕

1 like

When I comment on this site I gain something regardless of others replies. I no longer give others control of my emotions. I do agree that kindness is the correct path, but adversity is a great teacher. The perfection in our world is that nothing is perfect.

3 likes

Whoa that’s an interesting concept. Perfection in nothing being perfect. Liberating. Not giving others control of my emotions is something I’m working on. Appreciate your words.

3 likes

What’s the dogs name? They look cute. Although I am biased towards Lhasa apsos. No dog can hold a stick to my Lhasa when I had her.

3 likes

Charlie🦊

He looks like a Charlie. Does he wear clothes? Halloween costume?

1 like

That question is so awesome. I just love it. No, he has Yoda ears so he doesn’t need much else. He was turned over to me to take to the animal shelter at 3 weeks old. These “accidental” or “unintentional” kids are the best gifts! May sound nuts but he definitely is my “kid”.

1 like

You are talking to someone who spent fourteen years homebound with a Lhasa apso as my only friend. I totally understand where you are coming from. I never noticed yodas ears before. You are right Charlie does have Yoda ears. I am not a huge Star Wars fan. I enjoy the movies though. I didn’t like the last Jedi. It was hard to follow the plot.

1 like

I heard it was terrible. And Solo, the new one is garbage too. Ever since Lucas sold to Disney for $4 billion, it’s everywhere and watered down and I’m so over it. But remains Yoda does forever. I’m glad you had a friend throughout those 14 years. Finally animals are getting a little respect for being therapeutic like that was ever a question.

I thought I was alone. The movies have been watered down lately. I wish they would release the original movies without all the added scenes and effects. I have memories watching them on tv with my brother and sister. By the time I was born the empire strikes back was the first Star Wars movie I can remember. I wasn’t born when the original was out. They used to have a Star Wars marathon on the tv on Christmas Day in the nineties.

1 like

I went to a marathon of the original 3 once and it was very fun but exhausting and I’m pretty sure I left with a migraine. Yeah, exactly, I want the originals with no new weird effects and “added” crapola. But it’s kinda ruined now. Not entirely actually because the symbolism and the “force” and the “dark side” are some potent ideas in these strange times or anytime. “Use the force.” The life force, your will, use it for good. That’s the message and it’s timeless.

Wow you saw them on the big screen? I was homebound when they re released them. I was able to see the revenge of the sith on the big screen. The town I lived in had movies in the park. They had a screen set up and you bought a lawn chair and they had family friendly movies. It was a few years after the movie was out but hey nothing beats the big screen. Even though I saw it already it was worth the mosquito bites.

Yep in L.A. when my brother was living there. This was probably 20 years ago and it was a big deal and we were drinking beer legally in the theater and thought we hit the jackpot of heavenly experiences. The theater was packed. One of those days when you feel at one with the human race.

1 like

Wow L.A. Did you see any celebrities? Jackpot of heavenly experiences lol. What beats beer and Star Wars? I only had beer once in my life. I had one beer on my twenty first birthday with my father. It tasted like a wet dirty sock. I don’t drink because of the medicine I take.

1 like

I remember Howard used to say shut up and act. I miss the old Howard stern show. I used to listen to him when he was on wnbc then he moved to 92.3 k-rock. It doesn’t seem that long ago. I think he is doing satellite radio now. I stopped listening in 2000. It became a soap opera where they would talk about themselves. I wonder if he would even be allowed on radio today. With all the political correctness people have lost their sense of humor and the concept of satire. If we can’t learn to laugh at ourselves then we are in very sad times. I been watching a lot of George Carlin lately. While I don’t agree with him on certain things I still think he is hilarious and he makes good points.

Oh boy yes when Howard was on KROQ or whatever yes and Robin did the news and Jackie the Jokeman and Ta Ta Toothy and all the sound effects and Beetlejuice and High Pitch Eric and Wendy the Retard. I’d be in TEARS. I have an absurdist sense of humor. But there’s so much of Howard I just hate. I never listen to him on Sirius but he’s there. He used to be hilarious at times.

Yes I didn’t like some of his humor. I didn’t agree with the way he treated woman. His on air personalities were funny. I remember all the ones you mentioned. I will add crack head bob, stuttering John, and hank the angry drunken dwarf. I like comedy. I like to laugh. It helps to cope. My favorite book is don Quixote. It was written so long ago but the humor is timeless.

1 like

That’s exactly how I feel about it. Well put. Yeah John, he was funny when he’d get all upset and flustered. Same with Fa Fa Fooey. Ha! It’s too fun to talk with you about all this stuff.

I read the post you are talking about. The poster said they are self medicating. They might have been under the influence when they replied. I find it hard to believe any rational person would lash out like that. It makes me sad to think of the dark place they are in when the peace of others offends them so greatly.

4 likes

Thanku for that comment. If i heard someone diss or talk crap on one of my posts where i was just giving my advice, id probably never come back on here again. Thats just who i am. I dont take hatred very well. And i believe that i have honestly helped some people on here so yes i agree, words matter and are powerful. God said something like, shoot, i forget. Im not all that good at remembering things but it was something on the lines of our mouths are like a sword or something or like its the most sinful...nevermind u get what i mean. Words stick forever.

2 likes

I agree 100%...very well said!!! I'm here for you too!!! Love & hugs!!! XXX

1 like

Thank you!!

My pleasure!!! XXX

Wow, you are strong. Is that your pup? What a cutie!

1 like

Yes thanks so much!

💕

Gorgeous photo too , 🌺 x

1 like

Thank you 🌞xx

1 like

Great point....and well said. Everyone's pain is valid...no lesser or greater than another's. It gets frustrating for some of us who do try to comment on someone's post, and it's never even acknowledged by the poster.....just ignored. So you think, why bother sometimes. Other times you may be taken out of context and you think you were helping, but what you said may not have sat well with the poster....I understand a lot of people drop off a vent and then just leave the site...and then some do actually want help....but it's hard to know who to try and help sometimes when the same exact post for help or advice is posted over and over everyday by so many new members.....

1 like

You may also like...