Anxiety and Depression Support
19,642 members16,766 posts

Feeling sad and stressed

I’ve had break downs crying every day this week due to stress and generally feeling sad/lonely. Been severely stressed with school exams, 2 music exams, dance exam, 3 dance shows, athletics comp and moving house all in the space of 2 months. Feeling more and more self conscious, especially at dance when I wear leotard. Even broke down crying at dance and in the toilets at school the other day. Not been diagnosed with any mental illness or anything but does anyone have any advice please?

18 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi nice to meet you. It's hard to know how to advise you without knowing your age. How old are you please? x

I’m 16 x

1 like

Thank you. I am asking coz you sound very young and you have to be at least 16 to post on here. This is for the safety of minors on an adult site.

It sounds like you have been too stressed at the moment and your body is reacting to it. My advice to you is to chill for a while and have some quiet time where you can recharge your batteries.

Can you go on holiday or something? x

Okay thanks and no I can’t at the moment until we’ve moved house x

Wow! I would alleviate as much stress in your life as is possible! You can’t do anything about school, but you can make an effort to calm down and try to center yourself. Do you like classical music at all? You kinda have to get used to it. I sit in a quiet place, get in a position of comfort and just listen. It really does calm you down. I like piano music. If you’re interested, you can go to YouTube and search for the composers Beethoven, Chopin and Liszt. A great classical piano player is Vladimir Horowitz. Give it a go!! Hoping things get easier for you!

1 like

Good reply but not sure youngsters are into classical music! It's probably the latest bop and grind or whatever :) x

1 like

I agree, but the music is relaxing! I prefer classic rock, but no relaxing there, just singing and moving around!

1 like

When I was down when young I would listen to Leonard Cohen and Pink Floyd. I must have worn out my albums of these. :) x

2 likes

I still very much enjoy Pink Floyd with “Time” being my favorite song. I also like “Fearless”

Thankyou! Yeah sometimes I do listen to classical music if I’m doing homework and things or I get bored of the charts. Thanks for the recommendations, I enjoy listening to piano and strings music especially because my grade 5 piano exam is next friday x

2 likes

Excellent!!

Hi Rose,

Anyone who has all of those things going on would feel stressed which could lead to depression and anxiety. The biggest fear you probably have is to feel like you have to be perfect. A lot of people who are in performing arts tend to feel this way. Take a deep breath. Set a schedule for yourself and make sure you are getting good sleep. Tell yourself that the only thing that you can do is to prepare as best you can. Perfection doesn’t exist...focus on doing your best. Make sure you are still enjoying all these things because that’s most important. Keep a routine and schedule with breaks in between. Talk to yourself positively each day and before bed tell yourself something to show gratitude. Breathe and sleep well. Also you are in an age where body image is a big thing and you’re growing and dealing with changes both physically and hormonally. Be grateful for being healthy and strong enough to do all that dancing!! Be confident and show yourself some love! You’ve got this!!

Jen

1 like

Thankyou so much

Think you sound like you are putting too much pressure on yourself, do you really need to do all these things, think you need to take a step back, and refocus, go for a walk, talking to someone, will help. Poor self image is a basic lack of self esteem, I certainly hope no one else is pressurising you to be all these things, it feels overwhelming. This is a great place for help, talk to me anytime, although it is a long time since I was 16! Take care, baby steps xxxx

These feelings are often intense, but they ALWAYS pass.

Crying is nature's way of relieving stress, so let the raindrops fall.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Have you tried meditation?

yeah I’ve tried a couple of times but just couldn’t focus at all

I'm sure your parents love seeing you so involved in activities, sports, dance, etc. I do know that they can go a bit over the top by "encouraging" their children to get into everything possible, but it's just too much!

Is there any chance you could talk to them about how stressed & burned out you've become? It's important that they really, really listen to you; your mental & physical health depend on it. Something has to go in the near future.

Good luck & pamper yourself as often as you can!

You may also like...