Anxiety and Depression Support
19,654 members16,779 posts

Looking for advise with being more social

HI all,

Do you guys ever feel like your mind is so foggy and like you can't think properly or don't know what to say or how tl interact with people.

Now that I am trying to grasp a healthier clean mindset and a healthy fulfilling lifestyle I am staying away substances that i would use to avoid and geel the void of loliness and sadness. As I am becoming more independent and having to face lifes challenges and obstacles it is very hard, scary, and anxiety provoking but I already made a lot of progress so going back to my previous habits would just worsen the progression of moving forward. I do struggle witb a neurological disabilty called NVLD (non-verbal learning disability) and interferes with me socially and is a huge cause of my social anxcity it also interfers academics/organizing skills. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or feedback on how i can Interact with people without crossing the line and coming off cool. Sometimes I talk to much or I don't know what to say and come off really awkward. I Also sometimes feel like I talk to much about my mental illness and don't know how to say it in a vauge manner or coming up with other topics. I also take things too literal due to my NVLD Lastly knowing how to say no to guys and playing hard to get lol sorry took a little bit of a turn there haha

I just feel not like myself lately and i havn't been myself lately my social anxciety has taking quite the toll on me.

4 Replies
oldestnewest

First of all I feel like we’re twins. I have diarrhea of the mouth when I get anxious which is almost 100% of the time. I am very awkward in social situations and therefore have no friends. I remind myself, Be quick to listen and slow to speak. Try to think of a pleasant open ended first line of conversation that leaves them to answer a question and then follow their lead. I have to constantly remind myself to stop talking and listen. Speak when spoken to and not blabber. You can talk to us about mental illness and unless necessary due to the situation don’t go to that conversation. If so keep it short and simple. I journal and sometimes write down short statements to describe my situation and then move on after it’s said. Preparation is very helpful.

1 like

Hey thanks so much for reading amd responding to my post! I like how you said "be quick to listen amd slow to speak" that is very true I talk so much amd sometimes I talk to make things less awkward but it does the oppisite usually lol. I was reading this book and It was saying when you feel like you are talking so much use this acronym W.A.I.T (why am I talking) which is so clever amd useful haha. I Started to write things down myself and it's been very useful! Once again thanks for responding to my post!

Xo

2 likes

I need to use that too! WAIT. Good advice.

2 likes

I’m not that social either only use to talking to people I know

You may also like...