Anxiety and Depression Support

Fear of my throat closing up

Okay so i have generalized anxiety disorder, depression and major OCD. i am not allergic to anything that i know of but i keep getting scared my throat is gonna close up because it keeps getting tight and i always need constant reassurance that it is not going to and when people tell me its not gonna i still think it will. My throat always gets tight I'm assuming its caused by anxiety and whenever i get that feeling i start to think its closing up. Also i always get this other feeling in my throat that theres a piece of hair or something stuck in my throat because that had happened and led to a panic attack and having to go all the way home. can someone please explain to me how my throat will not close up and just give me lots of reassurance to and please don't forget to include the piece of hair in my throat feeling because i fear that I'm gonna choke or something by a strand of hair!!!! is that even possible?

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Anxiety plays with your mind and makes every physical symptom seem like death. For me it is my chest.. I feel like I may drop dead at any second.

I do not think you can choke with a piece of hair... but because the anxiety is causing that feeling you will keep experiencing that . I think when we get really obsessed we need to find a distraction, something that will keep our minds of the sensation.

2 likes

I had the same feeling previously and rushed to the doctors who informed me that there are two glands in the throat area that become swollen that can give the sense that there is lump or air in the throat this is caused by recepter from the brain when we panic. I reassred my self by drinking water or breathing control.

2 likes

Read about globus hystericus. It was one of my first manifestations of anxiety and reading about what happens and why really helps me

1 like

You may also like...