Anxiety and Depression Support
20,764 members18,419 posts

How I cured my anxiety and depression

Diet and exercise worked for me. I have a neurological condition that left me house bound for a while and ultimately led to extreme anxiety and depression. Fast forward to today –I still have my condition – but it no longer controls me – or prevents me from living the life I want.

I exercise daily - nothing extreme 15-30 minutes – enough to work up a sweat. I put on some of my favorite pumped up music that makes me want to dance (sometimes I end up dancing more than exercising) even though I cannot dance properly because of my condition, in the end I feel amazing! Exercise releases Endorphins which trigger a positive feeling in the body, and it decreases anxiety and depression.

I cut out coffee – and avoid all caffeine and refined sugar.

I increased my intake of foods high in Vitamin C and B – these are 2 of the main vitamins that become depleted due to stress and anxiety because the body uses them up rapidly when coping with anxiety.

I hope this is helpful to some – there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Imogene

29 Replies
oldestnewest

Thank you Zape, like you, I do not like the idea of drugs - which was a big part of my motivation to find a natural way.

I have tried nutrition and diet and exercise. Nothing has worked for me.

1 like

Hi Gm - I am sorry to hear that diet and exercise has not worked for you - everyone is different and has different needs - however I will say that it is important to eat properly - if your body is properly nourished then it will be in better shape to help you cope - the brain needs proper nourishment to function optimally - good luck to you and I hope you find a solution that works for you.

1 like

The same here..though it helps, if you are not too depressed to do it..

3 likes

Thanks again Zape - I agree with you 100% - I was offered many "experimental drugs" for my neurological condition - and told that I would end up in a wheelchair without them - instead I chose a natural path and today I am walking and dancing! I hope to empower as many people as possible with the knowledge that drugs are not the ONLY answer.

Thanks for posting. I love my coffee but have thought about doing decaf tea instead. I love the music and exercising it does help me. Im glad to know that someone else is trying different things to manage their anxiety. Im still working on it.

1 like

Hi Gem, thanks for the comment - cutting out coffee definitely made a difference for me - even though it wasn't easy to cut it out but definitely worth it - no more palpitations. continue working on it - pay attention to what triggers your anxiety and then "talk yourself down" as much as you can - that was what I had to do in some situations to stop the anxiety from getting the best of me - good luck!

1 like

Thanks for sharing and I feel that exercise to moderation and consistency really helps me. If only I could cut out coffee:) I’m down to a cup in the morning a day.

Hi I am glad this worked for you and whilst I agree that good nutrition and exercise would make us all feel a bit better lack of motivation is often a factor in depression. I think if it was as simple as that though very few would suffer from depression and anxiety.

4 likes

Thank you hypercat - you are absolutely right - as a person who has spent many years depressed - I know all about lack of motivation - however I reached a point where I grew tired of being the depressed negative person that I was - and I did not like having my children and others see me this way and so I decided to "fake it till I made it" and that is how my journey to wellness began. I decided that if I was going to have to live another 50 years then I was going to have to find a way to make myself happy..otherwise I did not want to go on living...that was my motivation.

Oh I did that too back in my late 20's. I reached a final crisis point where I decided I had to end it or do everything in my power to improve my life and make it worth living. I obviously chose the latter and most times I am grateful I did. I didn't do the health thing but concentrated on learning how to make friends, find passions in my life and achieve things such as going to uni as a late learner. I struggle greatly with the self care bit and can't get the motivation to do this.

Still my life is a lot better than it was though the depression is life long and I have had to accept this. I am just glad I can live my life though my comfort blanket of being able to end it if I choose is still there. x

Cutting out dairy noticably decreased my anxiety and it worked fast, within 24-48 hours of no milk, cheese, butter, yogurt. When I eat it now I especially notice irritability.

Anyone else tried cutting out diary with success?

1 like

Hi Imogene, because of my anxeity I've lose 40 pounds. When I get anxeity I have a difficult time eating. I'll go days living on a hard boiled egg and a cup of V8 juice knowing I could make my situation worse. I broke down today at a mall today going out shopping with my daughter hoping to help myself get out of my anxeity mode. I don't have the energy to excercise because of the lack of food. I will give what you said more energy. I HATE the way I feel, it really grabs a hold of you and won't let go. Thanks for your support

1 like

Hi PJRR, I can definitely relate to what you said about not eating -because of my past depression and anxiety I had no desire to eat and my stomach literally did not want food - I had to remind myself to eat and force myself to eat otherwise I could easily go all day without eating and not feel hungry - i would only realize that I hadn't eaten when I felt like passing out,and I was also underweight. I wrote a response to hypercat higher up stating that I felt like I could no longer go on feeling the way that I did, because like you, I hated feeling that way every day and did not want my children seeing me like that anymore. I learned that nourishing the brain and body are very important and not eating only amplifies your problems because then you become deficient in many vitamins and minerals which your body and brain need to cope with life's daily stressors. I hope this was helpful - I know it's not easy but you have to take one step at a time.

1 like

Thank you for your support, I'm making an effort to get out even if it's for a little bit. Drinking water. Taking vitamins do what I can to keep my strength up. Dealing with financial situations need to find a job which is not easy for someone my age 63. and my mom who is ill almost 90.

I'm trying SO HARD to over come this. Don't know when was the last time I felt happy? I'm scared for the future, I know I shouldn't do that cause we can't see it, I'm having trouble keeping my mind from going there?

1 like

Hi PJRR, I wish I could offer more advice. I can completely sympathize with you. The only thing I can say is start by taking care of yourself so that you can take care of your mom and so that you will be in good emotional shape for a job interview. I wish I could offer more help. Just remember -one day at a time - when the thoughts creep in tell yourself not to dwell on them - instead, dwell on what you CAN do to that will help your situation. I know it's not easy but even reaching out for help is already a step in the right direction.

Thanks for your support. I know it's up to me to get it together. That is my goal. I don't really have any support family or friends they have their own way of dealing with me isolate n ignore. I told them that makes it worse. So I don't speak to them about my feelings anymore and just pretend when I'm around them. Also looking to move away, they are part of the problem. So this we'll be for the best.

1 like

It is hard, if not impossible for people to understand if they have not experienced it. Just stay focused on you getting healthy and what you can offer (job-wise) because I believe that everyone has something that they can contribute to this world even at 63! age is just a number, it is your state of mind that matters. I wish you good luck and send you positive energy :)

Thanks your SO SWEET an asset to this site. It is I think to impossible for others to relay to us. I need to deal with my health so not letting them get under my skin with how they FEEL. How I FEEL is RELAVANT. I have a grandson I want to be around for also. Thanks for your UPlifting words.

1 like

Really happy for you ! I'm all for healty eating any exercise! And it does make a difference for me. Unfortunately, it has not been enough to help to stop intrusives painful thoughts, ruminations and depression and consequently stop the medication, which I suspect am addicted to -:(

2 likes

Hi Anna, I cannot comment about the medication because I have never taken any medication(I am a person who is scared of pills) however I know about the intrusive painful thoughts - it's hard to escape them - there are things everyday that can make it very easy to go there. The difference now is that when the thoughts come I don't allow myself to get trapped in the deep dark hole with them - I acknowledge them, accept them then let them go because I know what will happen if I don't. I hope this was helpful, good luck and don't give up.

2 likes

Thank you, Imogene -:)

Will try these patterns. Thanks!

Ive been going through it for 9 months are u on any meds? Its hell everyday im willing to try anything. Im on medication but still have anxiety alot I've been off work for 9 months do to it i just want my life back.

Hi Afraid male, I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. I am not on meds and never have been because it was a personal choice - however like I said in my post cutting out caffeine and sugar made a huge difference. The anxiety for me was a mind over matter thing - I used to have severe anxiety while driving and learned to talk myself down while driving so that I could avoid getting into an accident - then I continued from there trying to talk myself down about going out, interacting with people etc... and exercise really did help me release a lot of anxious energy as well. Maybe you could think back to what triggered your anxiety 9 months ago, and pay attention to eating/sleeping habits. I also was not eating properly which left my body unable to handle the slightest amount of stress. Hope this was helpful, good luck to you.

1 like

Thanks im trying to get back im not the greatest about staying on task but i manage i guess my next hump is going back to work i hope it goes well for me because i need this and my family does also. Its been 9 months of hell and a total of 3 yrs but i need to force myself each and everyday to keep up and keep going...

If you are determined you will eventually be able to conquer it, have faith. I'm not sure if you saw my response to your testosterone question, but high cortisol levels usually lead to low testosterone..exercise increases testosterone which in turn will lower your cortisol level. Being in a constant state of Anxiety depletes the body of many things remember that. I wish you luck.

1 like

WOW I will try it but I love coffee sugar and cakes.

Hi Kimmy,

It takes time, one day at a time to build new habits and a lot of determination. You could start by cutting back on coffee and sugar instead of cutting them out completely right away (which would be challenging) Just remember, if you really want to do it you can!

I live down the street from a coffee shop and I used to get my coffee and doughnut fix almost daily - Now I can drive by there without any temptation, but it took time.

You may also like...