Anxiety and Depression Support

I WANNA SCREAM

Yesterday my friend had HARSH words for me, week this morning she decided to continued with her HARNISH by telling me I need to "Change my way of thinking" and that by saying "it's not easy" ? That I'm giving up? OMG I'm so tired of people who think they know everything!!! They have NO idea of what we go through??? Like telling a alcoholic to just stop drinking??? MAN I'd love to live in their MIND? I'm not going to go back and forths with her trying to defend how I feel? It's going to make my anxiety worse, Im trying to figure out HOW to get through TODAY?

16 Replies
oldestnewest

I think that for people that do not suffer anxiety is really hard to understand. They think you just can snap out of it. We all go through that because mental illness is so misunderstood. This is a good place to find people that can understand you. I do not know your friend and do not want to judge but he/she has a lot to learn about anxiety. If she/he is not willing to do that probably it is not the right person for you to share your thoughts with.

You need understanding and love. That is what actually will help. Hope you feel better soon.

1 like

Thank Strrling, your right she isn't somebody I can share this with. I was HOPING she would be? After years of trying, it's time to give up. I love and appreciate her friendship, don't want to lose it. She has so many good things about her, communication isn't one of them. Which is what I really NEED. Thanks for your kind words. Take care

1 like

You can still have her as a friend... I just think we all have friends for different things... keep her for the positive things that you love about her and cherish that. You will find someone you can talk to that can help or just listen with compassion :)

1 like

I do think it’s healthy to not share if it’s going to turn out to be the opposite of what you need. Very understandable not to want to loose a friend. Maybe you can agree on what not to discuss. Someone in my life who I deeply care about could not talk about religion with me since she would say I was going to hell yet now after years, we can to some degree.

Best to you! (((((((((PJRR)))))))))))

1 like

Thanks Starr, my friend just wrote me several paragraphs on what I could change??????!!! I can't take it...I just agreed with her and said thanks for caring...hopefully that worked ?

1 like

Wow! Good for you. I think you handled it well. I don’t think I could be that nice about it haha well maybe. So your friend is doing this out of care she has for you? I think she needs a few paragraphs of how she could change. 😉

2 likes

Starr I couldn't have said that better myself :) x

1 like

You are Hilarius,.."SEE your funny too". I couldn't stop laughing. I should give her a taste of her own medicin? I'll keep that in mind next time she complains about things, which sometimes she does. Lol that made my day!!!

1 like

Guess what just happened ? Seems that my friend just included one of kids in what happened? WOW, that PISSES me off. I don't like my kids worrying about me. How I know she did that ? Because out of the Blue my daughter texted me "I love you mom, everything will be OK". I haven't spoken to her to let her know that there's anything wrong? I asked her what brought that about? She said "just"? I'm not going to say anything to my friend about this. Don't want to keep this going. I will NEVER speak to her about how I feel ANYMORE. I'll do what others in my position do? PRETEND...PRETEND...PRETEND. I bet she takes credit thinking that what she did WORKED? Far from it???

1 like

What a friend. I didn’t want my kids knowing about my issues either. I would have been angry also. It wasn’t your friends place to tell your Daughter. You can come here to vent when you need to. Never no judgment and plenty of people who understand and care.

1 like

Thanks for your support. I don't know what she was thinking? I found out that our kids can develop anxiety from us? She has said that she has anxiety. So I'm sure hearing from friend didn't help her, but maybe gave her some anxeity to deal with? I reassured my daughter that everything was fine, which it is. Thanks

I do not know your friend, but I have met people who try the approach of "tough love". How's this? Tell your friend she just needs to listen or just drop the discussion, and vent to people here, others who care or counseling. A friend would I think just say I am here instead of trying to lecture you. I had a therapist like that who ended up with a temper tantrum. I left her. I have a new one now who seems like a good listener.

1 like

I agree the thing of it is? She's not good at doing either? She always has an opinion about everything and everyone. Which is why I don't talk on the phone with her very often cause her tone of voice is VERY authoritative to make me feel Like a child.? She probably doesn't realize it ? She means well, but doesn't know HOW to Handel this? She' has always been this way....So I don't believe she'll EVER change?

1 like

So... I imagine this friend is your age? I remember having a "friend" like that years ago. I have not seen her in years. It is okay I think for friends to be truthful, but they also need to be compassionate. She might be different from the person I talked about, I also like the comment about the curbside psych. Ask her if she has hung her shingle outside her new office yet!

I agree with the others. You could ask your friend how you can change your mindset as you are stuck there and see what she says. Then tell her she is a kerbside psychologist! x

1 like

So, go ahead and follow your post's title. Sometimes we just need to go outside and scream! Harms no one and lets some pressure out. (Your "inside scream" voice needs a pillow?) Have done it more than one time. My service dog could tell when I was reaching that point and would lean against me and we would WALK. Fortunate that my spouse doesn't understand but accepts my anxiety.

1 like

You may also like...