Anxiety and Depression Support

Dealing with my job and depression

I’ve suffered with depression for as long as I can remember and I want to know if anyone has some advice about how to deal with it when you’ve got to go to work nearly everyday? I’m currently in warning at my job because I’ve had to many sick days, when really it was days I just couldn’t get out of bed.

And I still struggle to get up to go to work everyday but the stress of not paying my rent if I quit is what keeps me there and honestly it’s making me ill and I don’t know what I can do to improve this situation.

I feel like it’s driving me further and further into my depression and I’m suffering.

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello, I feel the same like you. I find it really difficult.

Depression is taking the best of me. I only work 2 hours every day, from Monday to Friday and still find it very hard. Also I need to get another full-time job but I must say I'm very concerned about that because I don't know if I will be able to keep it. The problem is if I get a full-time job i won't have any option and I will have to force myself into it cos as you said I need money for living, pay bills, etc.

I understand you and I feel it.

At the moment I have no advice cos I can't even help myself but maybe try some exercise before going to work, some yoga, or making breakfast, something normal that keep you active. I feel better when I finish work but when I work really early is a nightmare.

I am telling you this so you can now you are not the only one and we can find a solution to help ourselves.

I feel your pain, best wishes and stay strong x

1 like

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one going through this, I find it hard to do anything before or after work cause I do 9.30 to 18:00 so my life is so taken over by it :( thank you so much for replying to me x

Well I am worried cos I have to find a full-time job and depression is killing me so when I find it I am not sure if I will achieve it and keep it

When I wake up I curse my life, imagine when I am starting working earlier.

I work from 12 to 2. Not bad

Yeah it’s difficult to go full time, the only chance of it being okay is if it’s something you love and that’s hard to find when your suffering

1 like

Nothing makes me happy, I don't want anything either. Even if I got my dream job I wouldn't enjoy it! I live miserably. :( why are you depressed btw?

Can’t say why I’m depressed really, it’s just something that I’ve suffered with since I was 15, I had a rough childhood which might be a aspect but there are a lot of aspects of my life that makes my depression worse, not something i want to get in to. It’s a mental health issue that I’m trying to live with.

1 like

I wish I knew a solution. Never an easy thing.

Perhaps the job in order to have money which is necessary to live is beneficial in other ways.

It does insure that you get out and face life instead of holding up like we all want to do. I feel your pain.

Try to focus on the task. When you're mind get off it. Refocus.

I have had times I would be so blank like nobody was home in my mind.

SC

1 like

Thank you for your reply

Hi Megan. Does your job have an employee assistance program (EAP)? If you’re not sure... the person in charge of Human Resources would know. EAP’s often provide mental health services or referrals. I know it’s hard, but maybe letting someone in a supervisory role at work know that you’re struggling with depression would help. I hope all goes well for you. I called off work today and yesterday because I’m in a funk that I can’t shake. You’re not alone.

1 like

My manager is aware of my depression but to be honest the company care more about you being there then anything else, you could be on your deathbed and they still ask you to come in but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one, thank you

Hi Megan, I can tell you the path I followed when I was in your situation, work-wiseh. I was fortunate enough to have insurance through my employer, and I realize you may not have this resource available First, i took advantage of disability leave., I then checked myself in to an outpatient program for mental health. That was 20 years ago. Since then I consider myself in recovery, taking one day at a time--e ven one moment at a time .

Even if you don't have insurance, you should be able to find free help through your local mental health department. And, actually, as I am writing this, I am remembering that my son, diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 27 got help through mental health and through NAMI. Yes, depression and anxiety are mental health issues, as well as schizophrenia. Praying food your recovery...

1 like

Thank you for all this helpful information

So sorry there is so many of us and no solutions I lived with this for40 years and have been able to retire but just lie around and feel guilty that I'm wasting my life away.

1 like

Yeah it’s a tricky one, money means living guess, unfortunately

You may also like...