Anxiety and Depression Support
23,874 members22,330 posts

Recovering from appendectomy

Hello, I'm new here and am absolutely desperate for some help. Three weeks ago today I was rushed to the ER for an emergency appendectomy. I am 52 years old, female. I have had a phobia about having an appendicitis since I was 8 years old. So for 44 years every time I would get a stomach ache I would have a panic attack. Anyway, I'm having a really, really difficult time recovering from the surgery. I had terrible bloating and pain for the first week and a half which made me panic. I have no appetite but force myself to eat. I can't seem to shake off the feeling of doom and gloom. I feel I'm never going to get better. The panic attacks are a daily occurrence and I just feel like I'm spiralling out of control. I'm seeing my nurse practitioner tomorrow and am literally going to beg her to give me some Xanax. Two weeks ago when I saw her she refused and gave me Hydroxizene which made me vomit and have diarrea (sorry can't spell it!) Basically is there anyone out there that can give me some support, I feel so alone and totally desperate. Thank you

2 Replies
oldestnewest

I had abdominal surgery a year ago (not for appendicitis). Try having a bland diet with small meals. Three weeks is very early in your recovery. Recovering from surgery takes a few months in my experience. Also, are you walking? Begin with very short walks and increase just a little every day. Naps and early bedtime also help. xx

1 like

I'm so sorry this is happening. I don't have experience to share, but just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and that I care. Good luck with your nurse!

1 like

You may also like...