Anxiety and Depression Support
27,461 members27,294 posts

I am not sure who to tell

I deal with really bad anxiety and I haven't told anyone. If I tell my parents, they are going to take me to an expensive theropist. All of my friends wouldn't take me seriously. It keeps getting worse and I can't go through this alone. Do you think I should tell someone?

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I would highly recommend telling your parents your friend and your teachers because if your parents take you to a therapist then this shows how much they love you and they would just want you to get better. If your friend do not take you serious then are they really your fends because anxiety effects over 40 million people in the us and is an illness that I also suffer from and I'm so glad I told my fends teacher and parents about it because I would not be righting this comment today if I did not tell people about my anxiety I hope you feel better soon.

1 like

Yes tell your parents go to therapist and dr .

1 like

Please tell your parents before it gets worse ! Don’t be ashamed of getting help, everyone needs help in life so it’s okay

1 like

And you are not going through this alone, their r tons of people going through this right now. Hang in there

1 like

Yes, tell someone you trust. This is treatable and will get better with the right steps. Let your parents or someone else know. i am a teacher and suffer from clinical depression and always am willing to help kids with issues they are dealing with because I understand what it is like to feel like I am all alone in this. There are others like you. You are not alone. Talk to someone. Praying for you.

1 like

Thank you so much for your reply. You are such an inspiration and I hope you get better!

1 like

Thank yaa

1 like

Yes, please tell your parents! I'm a parent myself and I would want to know. They will be more concerned on getting you help than the cost of it. There are resources out there to help you. You are young and have a full life in front of you. Take the steps to make sure you fulfill it. I have a pre-teen girl that sometimes I worry about. I would drop everything and get her help if she needed it. If not your parents, tell someone. Maybe a school counselor or a teacher you trust. Good luck to you and get help now.

1 like

If you had a serious physical illness, would you ask for help from your family and doctor? A mental illness is no different. You deserve support and help. It's tough to reach out, but often you will feel relieved afterwards.

2 likes

LydiaN, you just told us and that's a start. By all means confide in your parents, they love you and would want to know. Good Luck and don't be afraid. xx

1 like

Agori1, I have told my parents about my panic attacks whenever I have them. They tell me that I worry too much. (I know that it is genetic. My grandmother, my father, and my sister are like me, but not as bad as me.) But, they still comfort me and try to reassure me that everything was in my head. Thank you for your support!

1 like

YES! Going to an expensive therapist is probably exactly what you need. I’ve done it. A lot! If you talk to the therapist unless you are a threat to someone or engaging in illegal behavior or something they can’t tell your parents. Sometimes it’s even hereditary. You may have gotten it from them and they may understand more than you think. Parents hide things from there children. As a parent I would hate to think my child was hurting and didn’t think they could talk to me or that I wasn’t doing everything I could to help them. One of the greatest things is a support system.

1 like

You should tell your parents. Them taking you to a therapist isn't a bad thing. It will give you different perspectives and coping mechanisms. You just have to decide also along with your therapist if you want to take medications. Only downfall to medications is they have side effects. Sometimes for some people the side effects can outweigh the benefits. But again it's different for everybody. Hope this helps but I think a therapist would be a great idea.

2 likes

You may also like...