Anxiety and Depression Support

New Medication + Sleeping Life Away

I'm on a new antidepressant. My doctor said it should really start working 3 to 4 weeks from now. My mom has been saying lately that i am sleeping my life away. I have nothing else to do though. I applied to jobs and they still haven't replied. What the heck am i to do? I have no friends. Not to mention I'm always tired due to insomnia. Last time i checked depression can make us sleep more or less. I'm just waiting to get a job now and i'm impatient. I'm such a loser and i am sleeping my life away.

25 Replies
oldestnewest

Your not sleeping your life away..you have so much life ahead of you, I doubt you'll sleep through it all..and your not a loser...your mum just wants to see you being active and not sleeping..think about it if you saw someone just sleeping wouldnt you say the same...I know it's hard when you feel this way and easy to just sleep when depressed..ask your mum if she wants you to do anything..If not, and like you say, you have nothing else to do, then go for it and sleep..sometimes it's healing to sleep and it gives you energy after a couple of days of it..but you do have to get up and do things for your own good..just do everything in moderation for now.. your doing well..

3 likes

Thank you. Yeah that is how i kinda feel. Depression makes me sleep all the time but i am still fatigued constantly. But there are days when i get a burst of energy and try to move around more. I can't wait to get a new job because that could somewhat help me with getting out more and interacting plus money in my pocket...lord knows I'm trying my best!!!!!😒

1 like

Yeah I'm the same ..God, I just stay in bed most of the time..I have nothing to do either..nor do I have friends...Im looking for work aswell but in the meantime I'm like a zombie..honestly, I don't care, I do look after myself though, like shower , eat, and do something if I have to but for the rest of the time, ha, im lying down, dosing off, half awake, sleeping..but it feels so good and I'm enjoying it as much as I hate it.. but so be it, I can't better myself.. a life of depression and anxiety, fighting it all these years, i dont want to be like this but find it impossible to do otherwise, this illness is full time work..but, never give up..Im not giving up after all these years of hard work...hope is all I've got..good luck with job hunting..

3 likes

Damn, why must life be so hard for us?😟😡

Stay strong! Can i message you on here?

Hey Vonnah, i also started a new med 4 days ago and also sleeping so much 14-16hrs a day i hope this gets better for you, God bless!

1 like

Thank you! Same to you✌

1 like

Yeah, of course you can.

1 like

Hi Vonnah how can you be sleeping all the time and have insomnia? i know i shouldn't envy those who sleep, but i do. i've met so many people with depression that sleep all the time- but i since childhood had the other kind of depression- where i never sleep enough. At 14 i had to drop out of high school bc i was only sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night, and later as adult could only work part time, and eventually had to get on disability, bc it's not possible to function on 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night, and sometimes zero sleep at all. so given a choice i'd much rather have the other kind- the kind of depression that lets people sleep 8 or 9 or 12 hours a day, bc that's half a day of not being conscious of the pain and anxiety. I have all forms of insomnia- it takes me hours to fall asleep, then once asleep i wake up after a couple hours and can not sleep anymore . Hence I am often dizzy. So again, I'm confused, do you have insomnia, or do you sleep a lot? either way i hope you feel better

3 likes

I have insomnia for sure. It takes me hours to fall asleep and whenever i do fall asleep for no more than 3 or 4 hours, i wake up or get waked up and can't fall back to sleep.

Now, with my life situation i have no friends and no job at the moment, no license. So i literally have nothing to do but lay down in bed. I have been falling asleep lately off and on throughout the mornings but not for long. Just dozzing off here and there. But trust me i have insomnia and had it since 17.

I started Lexapro and my doctor told me to take it at night because it can make me drowsy. I take it at 11pm. And i don't get drowsy but the first few nights i got really bad nausea. But i always fall asleep around 5,6,7 in the morning.

2 likes

it definitely sucks. 6 or 7 a.m. is my average too and people do not understand. people condemned me my whole life to make me feel like a loser, but stop telling yourself that- i was telling you that before, to try and say nice things to yourself, about yourself, even if you're faking it. try to stop those condemning words and self-talk . what we have is real, the struggle is real. still praying for you . i pray you find friends that you can get close to , who understand. maybe a support group....

3 likes

Yeah i wish.....😔😒

Saying nice things don't work for me. All i see is ugly.

Hi Vonnah have you looked into support groups yet? Even if you can't say nice things about yourself, at the very least, stop saying bad things. I have to remind myself of this bc i criticize myself a lot, but there is a Bible verse Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue". Words are powerful- what we hear from others- what we tell ourselves. If you can stop saying bad things about yourself, there is power in that . I had said "Even if you're faking it"---- not that i'm advising you to become delusional-- but remember, i know where you're coming from. i had told you in a past post of yours- that at your age i looked in the mirror once and was so disgusted at the ugliness that i beat myself with a belt till i had welts on my shoulders and back. Among other things that repulse me-- i had said that i hate being tall, i think this makes me ugly manly disgusting. NOTHING will make me see different, and when i see short women i see them as feminine, appealing and what men want. plus i am slim small breasted which i also think is ugly, and dark hair, which is not in itself so bad, but i just think blondes are prettier than dark-haired. so when i see a short blond woman with big breasts i feel like crying. but i just tell myself, i am beautiful to God, and since God made me, i am His work of art. it's kind of "faking it" bc i don't 100% believe it, but this is NOT a delusion. It doesn't change how i see things, but it helps ease the edge of the pain a little bit bc i know it's the truth, that there is a reality beyond this one and that's how my faith helps me. same with the loser thing, i know most people see me that way, and i see myself that way, but something REALLY Does happen when you keep drawing close to God and reading His Word, the Bible and going to church if you have the energy. i do sometimes start to see how God perceives me , which is Pure Love. i glimpse this every now and then- but the voices of the world, of the media, TV movies, people around me- drown God's whisper out. see if there's anything like shows you watch, things you read, that reinforce why you think you're ugly. stay away from those, and if possible, the people who condemn you. keep listening to the voice of One who loves you, this is why i constantly draw close to Jesus, because the more i hear His Voice, the better to drown out all other voices, including my own, that keep telling me how awful i am. i pray this for you, His Peace, His Love and Joy , this Christmas.

1 like

Perfect. God used you to write that! That really helps. Your so right and i have to drown out my own voice and stop looking at other bad influences on tv and the media that make me feel more depressed and ugly. Its all unrealistic anyways. I gotta keep focusing on bettering myself.

Have you ever heard of BDD? I think we both got it. I have to call the psychiatry people back to set an appointment. I will ask questions and be honest with them and let you know how it goes.

1 like

yes we talked about it here before, you private msgd me a link on BDD questionnaire and i did it and it showed i probably have it. But my time in sessions with psychiatrist and counselor is limited, and i talk about the things that bother me most which is, right now, my terror of my future growing old alone, panic attacks due to that fear, how to get into assisted living etc. Who will take care of me when i'm old sickly and feeble? etc etc. Probably those horrible fears distract me from how ugly i see myself lol. it's not on the forefront of my mind like it was when i was your age. So that's another tool i had mentioned to you before- distraction , preferably with a positive though like something funny, anything that can make you laugh. Blessings

1 like

Yeah, i sent a voicemail to the psychiatry place and i am looking forward to setting my appointment in the new year. I will try to discuss my concerns. I did the questionnaire and i had the same similar results. It's scary. My ugliness really do affect me daily.

1 like

I have to say, very tall, thin,small breasts, dark hair? You just described the perfect supermodel. We always want what we don’t have. I have big boobs, a lot of very thick curly hair and I’m average height. I played basketball and always wished I was taller but being shorter helped me. I could swoop in under those tall girls steal the ball and take it down for a layup every time. My hair is all over the place! If I cut it short it’s so thick it sticks straight out and looks dumb. I want nice thin hair. My husband once told me he didn’t understand why woman tried so hard to have blonde hair when natural dark hair is so much prettier. My grandma was Indian so my hair is dark but I highlight it You can change hair color. So that’s easy. I am a Christian. I agree with all that. I don’t sleep well either and I’m disabled but not from anxiety. I think my anxiety got worse when I quit working. I love your advice on positivity. I want to see Vonnah. She is so down on her self and I don’t believe it one bit! I’m fat and my hair is getting grey now. I hate my looks. I still color my hair as able though and try to be presentable and take pride in my appearance. Vonnah dounble check your Med with your doctor. My mom in law took Zoloft in the morning and sleeps good. For one thing you are not exerting enough energy to sleep solid. Take a walk etc. Try your Med in the morning. I take NyQuil and I’m up all night. It’s 3:10am here. I know about not exerting energy and insomnia. Try going to bed at the same time every night in a dark quiet room. Lay in bed and resist urges for social media. Try take slow long deep breaths in and then breathing out long and slow. When you have noise it keeps your brain stimulated. Or light. You can also try melatonin. It’s all natural but always check with doctor or pharmacist before taking stuff with other meds. Then set your alarm. Get up and stay up. Clean, do laundry, take walks, journal etc. You can watch tv or movies. Then go to bed at the same time. Your body will eventually get used to it. You have to use energy to be able to sleep well though. Even when you are sick or injured your body is using energy to heal you do you sleep more. That’s how you heal faster. You’ll get there. Just don’t give up. God bless you both!

2 likes

God bless you💜 your so kind!!! I understand what your saying. I'm trying not to give up but then again there's times when i wanna give up.

1 like

Vonnah,

I'm completely new to this site and to talking to people with and about this affliction. I'm in a very similar situation as you. My "husband" (not legally married) always tells me I'm sleeping my life away, and I do feel that way. Besides the sleeping though I have NO motivation to do anything including taking showers, getting dressed ect. I also have no job at the moment (moment being 6-7 years) and no car (my husband wrecked it and is doing the repairs, for 6 years). I am on Wellbutrin, and it was working really well, until the last couple months. I'm a night owl as well with a common "bedtime" of 6-7am. However, there are days where I sleep for up 16 hours at a time. I feel very lonely as I don't have any friends, and my husband doesnt understand, he thinks alot of this is due to a different prescription I'm on for a different condition. Do you feel like you live in the dark as well?

2 likes

Of course i do. I live in darkness everyday. I'm sorry that you feel the same, as i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I can completely relate to what you said. I guess we gotta keep moving forward and waking up each day....i hope he understands you one day. I wish people would have more sympathy.

You can message me anytime. I'm here for you. Stay strong💜💪

You are only 19. You still have up to 80 years to go sweet girl. You’ve barely gotten to get a life yet. Keep applying for jobs. Indeed.com. You can make a resume however big or small and it takes 2 seconds to apply. Try looking up how to get a job. That sounds silly but they are certain things employers look for. Confidence, people skills etc. What makes you stand out? “I am a hard worker with a willingness to learn. I would be an asset to your company” Don’t just send it and forget it. They get hundreds of online applications a day. Yours will be thrown in a pile. After 2-3 days tops call them and let them know that you have applied and you are very interested in employment with there company. Make sure they received your application and ask them if there is anything else they require. You can even write it down and read what you are going to say do you don’t stumble or mumble. Speak strong polite and confident. Always thank them for there consideration you can find fill in the blank resumes and cover letters on line. They get them off the printer or fax and throw them in a pile. Make sure they pull yours out. Those are who get an interview. There are even employment agencies that will help you with that if needed. You could try applying for grants and taking some classes on line while you wait. It would fill the void. You can get financial assistance. You’re so sweet. Start with one class and see how it goes. PM me anytime Vonnah. I’m here for you sweetie.

1 like

Thanks😘❤💜❤💜❤💜

You know I’m here for you Vonnah. Message me anytime. How long is your trip?

1 like

Apparently it was 12 hours along with rest stops. It was long. Love you friend❤👋

1 like

That’s a long trip. Glad to know you made it! There are times when sleeping too much can be a good thing! Aha! Bright side! Bam! Ya see how I did that! Lmao. XOXO

1 like

Haha yeah😜😂

1 like

You may also like...