TMI Time: Bowel Problems with Cymbalta (Duloxetine)

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced adverse side effects when taking Cymbalta.

I've been on 30mg for almost a year now, and I have noticed that I've been getting frequent haemorrhoids and/or passing a 'little' blood when I go to the toilet. When I say little, I'm not passing clots, dark stools etc. Like it's 'on' the stool, usually at 'break off' part. (Sorry for the TMI)

I'm obviously going to book an appointment with the doctor as it's recurrent and to check if it's nothing sinister. But I'm just wondering if it affects anyone else's bowels the same way?

I might consider withdrawing Cymbalta altogether as despite the above problems, I just don't think they're the right anti-depressant for me anymore. And from what I know about half-lives and from reading experiences, it's going to be a difficult one to withdraw.

Thanks!

Annie

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi dot the dot!

I have not taken this, but I just wanted to say that what you're experiencing sounds awful and I'm so sorry! That sucks!

For the hemorrhoids and any pain at the you know... exit site, I can recommend coconut oil. Keep a small jar of it in the bathroom just for those special times.

• I haven't tried coconut oil. I usually use, uh, Vaseline.

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you! 👍🏻

• Hello...I take the generic of cymbalta and make certain I have extra fiber in my diet, even sometimes take a fiber suppliment to avoid this from happening. I have the same issue particularly if I've had any pain management meds recently also.

• I am on 60 mg. of cymbalta. I have same problem. I have hemoroids and colon polyps after investigating further. Get checked out. Hope you feel better

• Oh my goodness. That's horrid. I'm definitely getting checked out now!

It happened about 3 months ago, healed (finally), but now it has come back...

• Don't panic. Maybe nothing. I'm prone to polyps get them every year. Also have an ulcer. I've had a bad stomach my whole life. But you should get it checked out. Feel better

• I'm the same as you - I've had bowel problems throughout my life, nowadays due to anxiety.

Thank you, I hope you're well!

• I also have digestive problems. Cramps. I cannot drink the awful stuff for a colonoscopy so I have no idea what I have.

• I've heard about the drink (a friend has Crohn's) and they couldn't stomach the drink either.

I hope it doesn't have to come to that for me, but if it happens, it happens. 😭

You may also like...