I just saw my phycologist

I just saw my phycologist and I swear sometimes I be thinking he doesn't know what I'm talking about. I tell him that I am better than before but that I still feel like I am in a dream and having weird life thoughts. And he tells me " let yourself dessosiate and daydream. Don't fight it" AHHHH WHAT? Ugh I'm wondering if I should get a younger phycologist. Maybe this one doesn't know about depersonalization/ derealization hell

21 Replies

oldestnewest
  • 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Are you on any medication??

• I am on an old medication called amitrypiline that's only helping with sleep. I was on Zoloft for 6 weeks and had to stop them because of side effects. Zoloft was my first medication ever. I was normal and happy 3 months ago. This came out of nowhere. It's pretty disturbing

• maybe that med could be causing the DP/DR symptoms??

I've also been on Zoloft and quit from the side effects. When was the last time you took Zoloft? I noticed having DP side effects while weaning off of it.

• Well I was having Dp/dr before Zoloft and when I started Zoloft it was worse. I been off Zoloft for a little over a month.

• Hmm... you don't think it's the amitrypiline? And it also does take some time to feel back to normal after Zoloft.

• No because I started amutrypiline after I came off Zoloft and before medications I was already in this Dp/dr hell. I'm only on 10mg of amitrypiline that started helping a bit with sleep. I am going to see a holistic doctor in June and hopefully I will be off this medication and go the natural route. This brain needs some rewiring

• Oh okay I See. Try doing "grounding" like when you're freaking out find 3 things you can touch, 1 thing you can smell, 2 things you can hear, look for a certain color around the room etc.

Just think to yourself, life is beautiful and amazing, you are here for a reason!

Yeah, I'm tired of the meds too. I'm actually growing medicinal herbs to make teas and tinctures to combat the anxiety.

• I was wondering, is it just short episodes of DP for you? Or do you literally non stop feel in a DP state? Like for hours..

• I find myself pausing from time to time to see if I'm on that mode and since my vision makes me feel dream like I start freaking out. And the weird thoughts also send me in that mode. It's very scary. I'm able to function but fighting my brain all day and trying to block these feelings

• I'm really trying but this feeling of thinking I'm in a dream and everyone around is fake scared the crap out of me. And also the life thoughts. I don't know how I'm going to be back to normal after this. Everyday for 3 months I get up wondering if I'm back and nope! It really sucks

• I don't know anything about derealization, but I have read and heard a lot of people tell me that I will never recover from anxiety, that I just need to accept it. I don't like that answer, and I don't want to believe it. What's the point of trying then??

• Exactly! I am with you on this one.

• I think what helps me with anxiety is cognitive behavior therapy. I never took any medication for anxiety. Maybe if you start practicing changing your thoughts, eventually you won't feel so anxious. That has helped me and I don't feel anxious as much as I used to but it takes a lot of practice. Once the thought enters your mind, think of it in a positive way. Hope this is helpful.

• I take CBT. And the phycologist I'm talking about is the one that's suppose to be giving me CBT.

• Okay great to hear. I will be hopeful that this will really work for you. Best of luck!

• I have both a psychologist and a psychiatrist for GAD and PD. I dont like taking medication either and this medication stuff is all new to me but sometimes it is the only remedy for quick onset of symptoms. My experience is to try talking with you psychiatrist for another med. There are lots of medications that may be a better suit for you with little side effects.

• "Shop" for a new therapist. If this guy doesn't click with you, you probably need to see someone new. I have tried several therapists until I finally found one I liked. I don't think this guy is getting it or doesn't understand the panic of disassociation.

• I agree! He is not getting it at all. And neither is my psychriatrist that keeps saying this is a phenomenal from anxiety. And that's pretty much she keeps saying over and over

• Find new people. Psychiatrists don't have much training in counseling; they come from a medical model and their expertise is in medications. You need to find different professionals help support you on this journey. Trust me, I have wasted a lot of time over the years with the WRONG doctors and therapists. Move on and find different people who may actually get it. YOU"RE in charge of this and your treatment. I was a mental health counselor for my entire career and the key is to find people who you truly connect with.

• Hi The fact that you have asked the question, "should I find another psychologist?" means this one is not a good fit for you. It is hard to find the right one but the wrong one is a waste of time and money. Best wishes on your search.

You may also like...