Anorexia Bulimia Care
2,331 members1,166 posts

Do I need to get help?

I've had what I think is possibly an eating disorder now for over a year, and I'm getting fed up of it. I skip meals; don't snack (ever); worry that I'm eating too much and I've forgotten what it feels like to feel hungry. I also purge after eating when at work.

I've lost a stone and a half, although I did manage to gain a bit during the summer holidays.

If I go to the GP, will they think I'm too fat to be anorexic? I worry that she'll tell me I'm a healthy weight and that I'm being silly. I've just worked by BMI out and it's 15.5, I think.


3 Replies

I would suggest you need to see your GP asap - and, if you can, be open with them about the situation - and how you are feeling. Your BMI is lower than it should be - and purging is not good for your body.

From experience the longer you leave it the harder it is to fight your ED - and to admit you have a problem. You have been brave in admitting something is wrong - so get to your GP and say you need specialist help - don't let them pat you on the head and send you away with good words.

Good luck - and keep talking - let us know how you get on with the GP.


Hi HugoPugo,

From what you have described you are definitely suffering from an eating disorder. As crazycrossstitcher says, you need to get help as soon as possible - go to your GP and ask to be referred to an eating disorder specialist service (this is very important - I have experienced treatment from a variety of medical professionals over the years and the only ones worth their salt were the adult eating disorder specialist services). There is no way that your GP will think you are 'too fat' to have an eating disorder! At 15.5 you are seriously underweight and could easily be hospitalised - I have in fact been hospitalised at this weight. Medically, anybody with a BMI of less than 17.5 is anorexic, ao you are way below even this threshold. Please please get help soon, because even if you don't think you are feeling the effects of your low weight your body certainly will be and if you lose any more weight you run the risk of some serious medical complications and even death. Take it from someone who has suffered from an eating disorder for nearly 10 years: the sooner you get help the more likely it is that you will be able to recover, so you need to make that appointment at once!!

Good luck! :) xxx


Yes you really do need to go to your GP. Just in terms of protecting your physical health they should be doing blood tests if your BMI is at that level. I know the feeling that you're too fat to have an ed - but that is the eating disorder talking rather than you. Maybe try to think of how you'd feel about a friend and what you would advise them, if they had written what you have. You're not going to be told you're a healthy weight, I promise. GP's are more clued up on eating disorders these days than in the past and hopefully you will find them understanding. You've done really well to make that step towards accepting it might be a problem. Maybe try to find someone in your life - a friend or family member - you can talk to, too. That can really help. Good luck and let us know how you get on x


You may also like...