Anorexia Bulimia Care
2,816 members1,300 posts

Been diagnosed with anorexia recently but can’t stop exercising. I’m only 14 and I’m very scared.

I’m 14 and my GP has said I probably have anorexia. I lost 11kg in 2 years and I honestly felt so good but my parents said I looked too thin and took me to the GP and he said I was underweight. He said to come after a month so he could check on me again. During that month I exercised compulsively so I could eat more calories but ended up losing 5kg. Now, when I went to the GP recently, my BMI was 16.26. I’m scared and obviously want to be a healthy weight butI feel like I look good in the mirror right now but I know that’s not how people see me. I’m scared to stop exercising. I feel like I have to exercise to burn what I eat. My parents won’t let me do exercise and I am scared to do it in secret. I really don’t want to exercise but the voice in my head keeps saying if I don’t exercise I will gain weight. What do I do?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

That voice in your head is probably telling you you’ll end up looking huge or balloon up if you stop exercise but I promise you that won’t happen. You say “If I don’t exercise I will gain weight” but that’s the goal xx Every body has a natural weight it wants to be at. You have to save all your energy for repairing and healing and not tire it out with exercise xx

1 like

Thanks Sophie! I will try

1 like

EDs control all your thinking and it is that voice you are hearing. I would suggest you talk to a school counsellor - or if you can your parents - about your thoughts and feelings around food and exercise - or even ring ABC or BEAT helplines and talk confidentially to them - but please do talk to someone and get some support and guidance about what is reasonable re eating and exercise.

1 like

Thanks but my GP hasn’t told me anything about exercise and it’s just really hard for me. I don’t know, what if I become fat by not doing exercise?

Its a fear all those with EDs have - and you do really need to talk these thoughts through with someone - please do try the ABC helpline or BEAT helpline for young people - I am sure they can advise you.

Thanks I will try!

I haven’t been diagnosed but am too scared to tell my parents. I’m around the same age and exercise a lot and still feel fat. When I look at myself I feel fat even if all of my friends and family tell me that I look too thin so I just don’t eat or if I’m forced to I’ll say that I ate earlier when I didn’t. The only thing I eat is a bowl of granola every few days.

I know this probably isn’t the reply you was looking for but just know that you aren’t doing this alone and it will all get better.

Thank you so much for the support. It’s so hard and honestly you will get better too. Talk to someone who is a trusted adult other than your parents if you are too scared to tell them but please talk to someone about it. This illness is a tough one and we need all the support we can get.

You may also like...