Memory Health: Alzheimer's Support Group
800 members356 posts

Stress and working memory

Stress and working memory

Hey kids, I would like to ping the crowd here and see what anyone else knows of this. I was reading an article the other day, something medical, forgot what...but right in the middle of it there was a statement that said there was proof of the effect stress can have specifically on working memory. It had a link for a reference but that was behind a paywall I wasn't in the mood or financial position to deal with...

What hit home though was that the following facts kept rattling around in my head:

* Stress impacts working memory.

* Working memory loss or corruption is a very common symptom of dementia

* As anyone will tell you, at times dementia can be stressful AF. You can often feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders and you can't figure out the simplest thing, which feeds the stress....which I now see feeds the problem right back.

Just sayin'. If thats true, one question leaps to mind immediately: does anyone know if they ever tried giving dementia patients de-stressing meds to see if their normally crappy memory improved? Even for a short while?

Oh yeah the brain scan above doesn't have shit to do with the story, it just looked cool.

Peace

Jeff

2 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Jeff, beyond cannabis, what other kinds of de-stressing meds come to mind? The problem with benzodiazepines, for example, is that they are terrible for memory!

Christian, honestly I don't know. Aside from cannabis, the only other thing like that I have had are valium and qualudes (sp). That's why I am asking and wondering if that is an element in cannabis actually making me more functional, not less.

You may also like...