Memory Health: Alzheimer's Support Group
765 members336 posts

What is the job description for a patient with dementia?

What is the job description for a patient with dementia?

Not a trick question, I want to hear from you on this, "you" meaning anyone with an opinion. Like most I lived all of my professional life living up to one job description or the other. It defined not only what i had to do but what I could do to excel or succeed.

These days I cannot define my day because I have no idea what one is supposed to do in this situation, what is expected. Without that target I find my days have become rudderless, without direction or purpose. I know I have cognitive defects and that doesn't leave a lot of room in the job description. Without that description, how do I know what to work harder on, what I am succeeding on, failing at, etc. I just don't know, the doctors don't have one and my wife is doing the Aerosmith thing with the concept of a "permanent vacation".

So please answer me, anyone reading these words....what is the job description of a progressively worse dementia patient (complicated by Parkinsons)? How can he or she measure and judge the quality of his or her remaining days?

2 Replies
oldestnewest

A thought: try something very linear. What were you doing in 1978? Write about it. Then move on to 1979, etc. Could keep you occupied for awhile....?

Errr close but no cigar. I was using the term job description as a general term to describe what my CURRENT "job" requirements are. I did not mean for me to recall what my jobs were. To put that in perspective......dude: I survived and thrived in the dot-com boom and bust, don't you think I (re)wrote my resume about a thousand times by now? No I know the gigs I have worked, more enough of them anyways. No this was meant to ask for a definition of what is expected of me at this point in my life *today*, because *today* I can never figure out what to do/what I can do in the morning and in the evening, not know if this was a wasted or good day....without something supplying definition to this all, I just feel like I am floating through my days, rudderless to use an expression. Not something I have ever been comfortable with in my life...

You may also like...