36 year old man with AF

I was diagnosed with lone AF this time last year.

I woke from sleep with an irregular heartbeat and thought it may have been anxiety. But my symptoms grew increasingly worse and after a few hours my heart was pounding in my chest and leaping and flopping wildly. I thought it would pass, but when it didn't I decided to go to A+E where I was diagnosed with AF.

The doctors offered me a cardioversion but I was too scared and ended up having Amiodarone. I reverted to NSR 12 hours later.

I have been on Diltiazem ever since.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Were you seen by an EP or a cardiologist? Strange that they chose Amiodarone. Normally they use Cardizem to convert AF. Amiodarone, if used regularly has some really bad side effects.

The med you are taking is also sold under the name Cardizem. I tried it but it completely wiped me out. I had no energy at all. Now I take Rythmol and it has decreased the attacks a lot.

I also started AF at about 39 and I only had 1 or 2 attacks a year. I was not given a rate control drug until I was 56 and my attacks had increased in length and were happening 1 or 2 times a week. Be agressive in treatment. The longer you let it go the worse it will get and harder to cure.

• Thanks for your reply TheStand.

I only had Amiodarone over a 24-48 period to convert ne to NSR and have been on Diltiazem since.

I've never seen an EP but my cardiologist had told me that the current treatment is "wait and see". Should I ask for another consultation.

Can I ask what you think might have triggered yours?

Cheers

• I am on a few different forums for people with AF. And I can promise you that the current treatment is not "wait and see" Many cardiologists are not very experienced in AF. They deal primarily with the mechanical operation of the heart. There are many cardiologist who have dealt with AF and do properly diagnose and treat it but that is really not the norm. An EP is an electrophysiologist, A cardiologist that has specialized in the electrical functions of the heart. AF is an electrical problem in the heart.

I saw and trusted a cardiologist for almost 10 years using the "wait and see". If I would have known better and saw an EP I might not have AF now. There are many people on other discussion boards that through either meds and/or ablation have been AF free for many years. Check out AFIBsupport on yahoo groups. Many people there who have dealt with AF for many years.

AF attacks will increase over time and usually get worse. As said, I started out with 1 or 2 attacks a year and by "waiting and seeing" for 9 years I was having 1 or 2 attacks a week. If you talk to many AF people you will hear that same story over and over. When I finally saw an EP (after about 10 years) He got very upset that no-one had explained what was going on and what the available treatments were.

Are you taking or did he discuss a blood thinner like Warfarin? AF will not kill you BUT since the heart is not pumping properly blood can pool in the heart and a clot develope. Then when the AF is over the heart starts pumping right again and the clot can be pushed out of the heart and cause a stroke. The number 1 danger with AF is a clot causing a stroke.

Triggers... You will hear different things from different people. I have had this now for about 12 years and I have tried to figure out what was causing it over and over. After 12 years all I can say is "It happens when it wants to". They have (through studies) tied it to sleep apnea as a possible cause but many have AF but not apnea, many have tied it to alchohol but I have it and do not drink at all.

I hope this info helps.

Tim

• Thanks Tim.

I've requested a new appointment with my cardiac doctor....still very confused about whether I'm on the right course of treatment

• I've had my follow-up appointment with my cardiologist.

He told me that the condition is relatively benign and that there "isn't much wrong with me".

• This is what happened to me more or less the same as yours I was about twenty years older than you though at the time that I first had the pounding heart that woke me in the night. I didn't do anything about it though and just thought I'd been having a bad dream. Later the attacks happened in the day and I began to think something was amiss. The dr put me on a diaretic for high blood pressure also a beta blocker. I later saw a different dr in the same practice and was sent to see cardiologist about high blood pressure I then had a cardiogram which didn't find anything wrong. Later I rang dr when I had another attack and she sent me to hospital where I was diagnosed.

Years later, four years ago, after being in persistent AF for a year I saw an electro who advised taking Flecanide and to try cardioversion first. This I had three years ago and until recently have been ok. I'm now off beta blockers and feel so much better! The blood pressure has gone down as have my weight and swellings. Just to add that I've been tried on many meds but they all made me I'll I mean the heart meds I still take the Flecanide and aspirin . I'm so happy that the BP has gone down so much I'm in my eighties now and busy . .terjo

You may also like...