Atrial Fibrillation and Exercise. - AF Association

AF Association

22,817 members27,659 posts

Atrial Fibrillation and Exercise.

Falco1 profile image

Hi. Does anyone know if Bisoprolol and Apixaban prevent you from going back into A.F. rhythm if you do any exercise? Wanting to do first fitness session today since spending 5 days in hospital with A.F. Heart rate back in sinas rhythm now but guess always going to anxious that A.F will return after a bout of exercise? Thanks.

36 Replies

Do not over exercise. Maybe invest in a heart monitor with a chest strap and keep your pulse under 120. As you haven’t been exercising for a while start slowly and work up. Exercise never put me back into AF but picking up a large box of books and moving a super king mattress did so just take it easy.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to dezi

Thanks dezi. Plan to do a cycle session maybe 30 minutes teatime when it's a bit cooler but won't push too hard and see how it goes.

dezi profile image
dezi in reply to Falco1

Hard to remember at my age and state of health it’s not a competition any more it’s just keeping fit 🚴 I was a physical training instructor and it’s still hard for me to not go for it as I always used to and I’m 77

CDreamer profile image
CDreamer in reply to dezi

And therein lies the danger - going for it especially in a class if you are in the least bit competitive.

dezi profile image
dezi in reply to CDreamer

Don’t do classes but I tend to think I am still in my 30’s and expect the same performance. My wife quoted me a funny the other day: “Older men are isually in A&E because they tried to do things they used to be able to do when they were younger”

Gertsen profile image
Gertsen in reply to dezi

That made me smile 😊

john6 profile image
john6 in reply to dezi

Give yourself a tap on the head and say "That day has arrived"! It happens to everyone and being here able to talk about if means you have (in this case) had a gentle warning from nature and survived. You will not make the Olympic team due to the fact that it has already been chosen and unless tiddly winks is involved next time, then 81 is definitely going to be too old. Maintenance is the order of the day, anything else, then you are asking for trouble.

I knew of a lot of very fit guys who played Squash. It was shocking to revisit some yrs later to see them @ 55 yrs of age on walking sticks or had had operations for ankle/knee joints and hips. Unfortunately, exercise whilst good, it is not the holy grail for longevity and fitness. As Peter O'Toole (the actor) once said upon being asked how he stayed so fit "It is due to walking behind the cortege of friends of mine - who used to go to the gym"😄. Maintenance in "Moderation"!

dezi profile image
dezi in reply to john6

One new hip and one new knee. Still going strong!

john6 profile image
john6 in reply to dezi

It's not the knee or hip that you should be concerned about (don't tell Greta) that you have added to the plastic pollution 😁 - it's the rest of you that has to be replaced. Going on the knee/hip, you are obviously going for the long haul - bit by bit should be interesting 😂

dezi profile image
dezi in reply to john6

Wish they could give me a new back and neck

dunestar profile image
dunestar in reply to john6

The problem is not exercise per se but not knowing how to move well. If your movement is not well organised and you exercise a lot you are just grinding away at all those joints. Unfortunately in this country movement education approaches such as the Feldenkrais Method are not understood or appreciated.

john6 profile image
john6 in reply to dunestar

Wise words. Unfortunately, we live in a country where they seem to blanket everything as if all are equal in build/Cardio vascular system etc, as such the same information goes out to everyone with very few (including myself) never having thought of or heard of the ie Feldenkrais Method.

Singwell profile image
Singwell in reply to dunestar

When I broke my arm 4 years ago I mentioned to the orthopedic consultant that I was going to have Feldenkrais therapy and she said " new one on me". Been doing it for years.

Apixaban is anticoagulant so that won’t.

Bisoprolol is used to control your HR so good luck with exercising as I couldn’t even walk upstairs when taking. Take heed of Demi’s advice!

Biso affects everyone differently. It may stop you going into AF IF your AF was triggered by high HR but AF is such a rogue condition I gave up predicting what would or not trigger an episode so you won’t know until you try, we all react differently.

Just be aware if exercise is a trigger for you then you may have vagal AF - in which case Bisoprolol being a Beta Blocker is not advised.

richardbogle.com/blog/vagal...

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to CDreamer

Thanks for advice CDreamer. I guess it is if don't try won't know scenario.

dezi profile image
dezi in reply to CDreamer

Yes. Just like me couldn’t even walk downstairs one Saturday morning and because we had initially consulted with a cardiologist privately as there hadn’t been a cardiologist at our hospital for 14 months we had his home telephone number so my wife telephoned him and he said to come off then. Haven’t managed to find a type of drug of that nature to suit me.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to dezi

Hope you get the right meds soon that work for you

BobD profile image
BobDVolunteer

Only exercise to a level where you can do so an talk at the same time.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to BobD

Cheers BobD. Guns give it a go teatime

For the 20 months of my AFib journey i used to go running to get out of AFib and into Sinus. Took about 7 to 10 mins. Sadly that trick stopped working as my afib progressed. We are all different. However I am fairly sure my afib was not caused by exercise. Bisoprolol is a rate control drug, with some minor anti arrhytbmic properties, so it prevents you having excessivly high HR when in afib. So answer to you questuion is not really. However all you can dois try it and see what happens. Not medically trained.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to KMRobbo

Cheers KMRobbo. Didn't want to chance it yesterday. Will have to later today as the saying goes the longer you leave it the harder it will get!!

KMRobbo profile image
KMRobbo in reply to Falco1

Just ease in to it. Do you have a hr recorder on when excercising? If so keep looking! All the best.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to KMRobbo

Haven't got a heart monitor for training. Maybe should invest in one when get paid. I'm banking on the fact it was 6 years ago when last had a.f prior to 2 weeks ago. Maybe just a blip this time. Chancing exercising for the first time does freak me out though incase back in hospital with 186bpm again.

So much sage advice. As an ex marathon, fell runner, long distance cyclist and road racer. Plus of course squash, football, rugby you name it. Whist not exactly hobbling, at 72 I manage hill walking, recreational cycling. Do 40 mins a day Tai Chi and breathing exercises. Listen to your body. Keep out of the red zone Bisoprolol will as others have said slow you down. Dont try and beat it , go with it. Enjoy your life.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Tryfan

Thanks Tryfan much appreciated

brit1 profile image
brit1 in reply to Tryfan

which style tai chi do you do? I did take classes but have forgotten how to do it (I think it was Yang style)

Tryfan profile image
Tryfan in reply to brit1

For form it is Yang style. But mostly I do my own set regime. A mixture of lessons gleaned from courses with Masters of Yang and Chen style for exercises. Add to that acupressure and breathing, its a hybrid at best. But works for me. Except in this hot weather. I did run classes many years ago, but now mostly for my own health and entertainment.

brit1 profile image
brit1 in reply to Tryfan

have been doing some basic QiGong exercises (plus I walk daily)but will try to get back to doing a Tai Chi form :)

Hi. As someone else said, neither drug will stop you going into AF. Bisoprolol made me exhausted and breathless so would not have been able to exercise when I was on that. I had about 9 AF free months late 2019 to last summer and a session on the exercise bike knocked me back into AF and it's been rough again ever since with more cardioversions, an ablation and another cardioversion to come. Just take it steady, especially so soon after your episode.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Ducky2003

Thanks Ducky. Guns try a session teatime when sun goes down

I recently rejoined gym activity. My special introduction included advice on maximum heart rate using this calculation as a guide.

220 - age = max heart rate for normal people.

ie, 220 - 50 = 170

Those taking Beta blockers need to work between 50 to 70% of this figure.

ie, 170 x .50 = 85, & 170 x .70 = 119

So limit your workout from 85 warm up to 119 at full swing.

Drink loads of water and if you feel feint, ill or light headed STOP! And tell someone pdq (fast) for your own and their safety.

This, in some quarters is said to be more inaccurate as the age increases, but you know you’re own body so be very honest with yourself and be careful.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Cigarboxblues

Thanks cigarboxblues. Taking all this advice onboard

As others have said, the Apixaban is to prevent strokes, and has no influence on your ability to exercise. I found that in walking up hills, the Bisoprolol stopped my heart rate increasing quickly enough to make the climb as easy, but with persistence it eventually caught up with the need and still went high enough to cope. However, you are taking it to limit the maximum heart rate to prevent damage when you go into AF, so don't expect to be as exercise tolerant as you were!

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to momist

Thanks. I'm learning about Bisoprol and axiphan through you guys which is great

Bisoprolol give me Pulsatils tinnitus and rivaroxiban loss of memory to side effects from the time I start this médoc what is the way I me struggling ti know ?????

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Raoudha

Hope your side effects get better soon. Haven't had tinnitus with these meds.

You may also like...