Medical alert: Hi Does anyone carry a... - AF Association

AF Association
18,165 members21,975 posts

Medical alert

reikimaster
reikimaster
30 Replies

Hi

Does anyone carry a medical alert card with A F ?

This sounds really bad but the support I had from the hospital that picked up this condition were not particularly helpful they passed on my information to my rheumatologist

This was last June I was diagnosed with AF

My GP prescribes my new medication and takes care of my BP

I’m currently on Bisoprolol & Candesartan

Thanks

30 Replies
oldestnewest
Eadaoin

Yes AF is only list on my Medic Alert bracelet along with a few other things.

reikimaster
reikimaster
in reply to Eadaoin

Thanks

Luludean

I just have a card saying I am on Rivaraxaban . Nothing about AF.

reikimaster

Is this quite a strong drug?

I still get episodes of strong A F but haven’t mentioned it to the Doctor

1 like
Buffafly

You should mention it to the doctor as the meds you are taking are not helping your condition enough.

1 like
reikimaster

I’m terrified of him mentioning “procedures “😣😳😩😬

Buffafly

There are more effective medications than those you are taking but you would need to see a cardiologist to be prescribed them. In the long term 'episodes of strong AF' are not good for you and you are more likely to need 'procedures' if you ignore them. I assume you are under 65 as you are not taking an anticoagulant so it is definitely much too early to give up on a good QOL.

doodle68

Hi reikimaster :-) I think the alert cards a bit useless really unless you have pockets in everything and remember to transfer the card.

I wear silicone bracelet that carries the details of my medication and can be worn all the time even in the shower.

Unlike a bit of card it is instantly noticeable by any medic checking your pulse and can provide your details even if you are unconscious...

theidbandco.com/Rubber-Medi...

3 likes
reikimaster

Great thank you 😊

goldey
goldey
in reply to doodle68

Thank you SO much for telling us about this great place to order a medical alert bracelet. I never got one before because I thought the metal ones would be a pain to wear. But these soft bracelets are just perfect! Bless you!

Kaz747

I have a medical alert card in my purse and in my specially marked mobile phone cover (see my post from yesterday). I also have a medic alert bracelet.

Becksagogo

I have to say I think it us a good idea to have a medic alert bracelet especially if you fall ill in a different area of the country where your medical records are not readily available. My work place has a list of medication in case something happens during work hours but then I am a worrier!

Bagrat

I keep thinking I should. I have a message on lock screen of my phone about AF and apixaban. Someone suggested a waterproof plaster on chest with info in indelible ink. Think thats a great idea, sorry can't remember who

1 like
Angie06

I have the silicone alert band that I wear and it mentions to look at the alert card that I carry in my purse.

Haha too many other conditions to mention on one band!

Lesleyray

Hi, I wear a medical alert bracelet and I have alert cards everywhere, I also let folk like the gym, dentist and church know just in case

Kind Regards

Lesley

Vonnieruth

I have a silver bracelet with disc saying I'm on Apixaban I also have meds and pi suffer PAF on the screen on my phone so it can be read when locked I state my name and husband's with his mobile number

BobD
BobDVolunteer

Are you not on anticoagulation? This would be the only reason I would have to wear an alert tag.

1 like
Hidden
Hidden

Yes I do, AF and anti coags (I have other heart conditions as well) but I would even if just for AF and it's a must for anti coags.

Tapanac

I only have a medical alert card as I am on Rivaroxaban, an anti-coagulant.

GrannySmithgs5

I wear a silicone band on my wrist saying I'm on Riveroxiban. Have no need to ever take it off and if I am in need of medical aid the first thing they would do is check my pulse ......hopefully seeing the band . Cheap and cheerful and available from Amazon etc .

Jean

1 like
President2012

PAF on my medic alert also as well as Warfarin.

DK81

I have a medical alert card as I am on Apixaban, an anti-coagulant. I have the text in Spanish on an A4 sheet, which I can carry in my rucksack when in the Canary Islands.

Morzine

I have a card that comes with my apixaban the anticoagulant and have it in my purse.....I gave one to m husband so he could tell someone if need be as I doubt he’d remember otherwise! In fact he might forget the card anyway!...bracelet sounds a good idea.....

Aufgeblassen

I can't imagine a scenario where you are found unconscious, and they need to know you have it.

Barb1

I have a wrist band but I only wear it when I dont have a handbag with me. That contains a summary of all my medical ailments.

reikimaster
reikimaster
in reply to Barb1

Hi , if I did that it would be like a weekly shopping receipt 😳x

Barb1
Barb1
in reply to reikimaster

The wristband just says about the anti coagulant

dickie007

Yes, also on Bisoprolol & carry card with me, just in case. Got 2nd cardioversion in 2 weeks, fingers crossed. All the best

reikimaster

Awe hoping all goes well with you . Take care I’m going to google cardioversion now xxx

jedimasterlincoln

I have a "pod" on my house keys containg a day's medication and a printed rolled up paper with my regular medications, medical conditions name DOB and next of kin.

You may also like...