AF Association
16,074 members19,141 posts

Just diagnosed advice please

Hi after 3 days with a terrible headache, vomiting and almost passing out, very high blood pressure and heart rate of 200 i was taken to A&E and had an overnight stay in hospital. I was diagnosed with adfib. The problem i have is that i lost some of the hearing in both ears. My right ear is now fine and the headache has almost gone but i have a terrible very loud droning sound in my left ear its driving me mad. This has been going on for three weeks now. I have been to see a doctor but told my ears are clear. Is it usual to have hearing problems after an episode of afib?

Thanks

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Not usual, but possible I imagine. Do you know your Chads2Vasc score?

Perhaps an appointment with an audiologist would be helpful.

Thanks for your help my score is 1. I am going for a hearing test next week.

I think that the noise in your ears is caused by your high blood pressure.

I have very bad tinnitus but the volume increases and I get very high pitched whistles in my head at times of stress and particularly when my blood pressure is high.

Hopefully now you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure you can be prescribed some medication to address the problem. This may not stop the noise completely but should reduce it for you.

Pete

1 like

Hi your comments are very helpful. My blood pressure has been very high. A few days ago it reached 200/100 and i nearly passed out. My Gp said it was it was high because i was monitoring it ! and he said that high blood pressure doesn’t have any symptoms but for me I know thats not correct. He has agreed for me to have a 24 monitor fitted.

I agree with you. There is of course some truth in what is known as 'white coat syndrome' I suffer from that myself.

However, if you are taking your BP at home after resting for a sensible amount of time and relaxed and it is high, then it is high.

I have been having high BP problems recently particularly when I couldn't find a parking space at the hospital for my appointment to see my EP - not exactly idea.

Pete

Many people with AF suffer pulsatile tinnitus, unfortunately the only way I found to relieve the irritation was to put in earphones and listen to white noise or an audio book or music but I only noticed at night. As far as I know there is nothing you can do to stop it other than stop the AF.

Funny thing is that after I awoke from GA after PV ablation I couldn’t hear my heartbeat and thought for a few moments I was dead. It took me about 3 weeks to get used to NOT hearing my heartbeat, weird I know but you do adjust and get used to it.

Hi thanks for your comments. The noise is just maddening at the moment and it’s difficult trying to ignored it.

I think part of mine was a mispent youth going to see music groups in small venues. But I know it gets worse when I get stressed which as we know is often the case when having an episode of AF

Pete

Thanks the info is helpful

Yes, sorry, it sounds like tinnitus - I have had tinnitus since I was about 40, but I have found that bisoprolol made mine worse, did they put you on that in hospital? It's worse some times than others, but eventually you get so you can ignore it.

Yes i am on bisoprolol.

Check out tinnitus online. I do t have it but a close relative was recently diagnosed. There is a lot if research into it and latest seems to be say ing there is a connection to the vagus nerve. now there is a lot if discussion on here about AF and the vagus nerve so it would make sense that yours was brought on by the af episode is your AF now under control. Maybe when you have had time to recover and everything calms down it will go away. I can imagine how horrible it must be . Goid luck🍀

Thanks i will chech it out

just had an annual visit to cardiologist. , Blood pressure check, as usual,went haywire, cuffs on and inflated,

and reset and inflated - arm went pink,

and tried to reset and inflated some more and arm went red,

and again and arm went purple.

Reading by this time was 240 and 140.

Saw the cardiologist and he agreed that a note would be put on my file for manual readings only - no electronic kit.

So my question is 'Are you sure your blood pressure is accurate?'

You may also like...