AF Association
14,686 members17,645 posts

Abbreviations and Acronyms

The Afib forum is a great help to many, inclusive of our neighbours from other countries. One thing that comes up on a regular basis is "Abbreviations and Acronyms".

Unfortunately whilst the poster understands the Abbs & Acs, many others do not. In the busy world that we live in, not everyone is going to have the time, or the inclination, to search ie Google to find out what that term is. I feel that due to that situation, we are possibly losing the knowledge of valuable contributions/experiences - as has been said many times "Knowledge is everything" - we imo, are in danger of losing that extra bit.

We also have new medical terms/references coming out that supercede names etc of yesteryear. On the basis of the aforementioned, I am wondering if it would be considered, that we have something on the lines of say "Wikipedia". Basically it would be a sticky, that would be an indexed catalogue updated as we go along - only an idea.

70 Replies
oldestnewest

Look to your right. There is a pinned post with all a and a,s.

4 likes

Hi Bob, I see the A & A to the right. The point that I am trying to make, is that it is not up to date. We consistently have posters using Abbs that they are familiar with, (their medical condition etc), that most of us do not understand.

2 likes

I am happy that the list is current for the terms used in connection with Atrial Fibrillation which this UK based forum is about. Yes there will be cultural differences such as the US use of language and names of drugs but that will always be the case. Yes people often create their own abbreviations and we would have no way of stopping this. Yes people may join with other conditions and use abbreviations appropriate to those which we are unable to understand. I often have to go to Google for such purposes and see no way around this. One example would be those discussing thyroid issues which are not covered by our remit or another would be the use of M.G. because that member has that condition. We can't do everything for everybody.

7 likes

"We can't do everything for everybody."

You are right of course. Having said that many forums try to be as knowledgeable as possible - what is wrong in trying? it would also be progress/moving forward, or do we stay in the dark ages?

1 like

When I came to the forum four years ago, I always had Wiki open in a separate window to look up abbreviations - still use it on occasion to learn more from other posters.

Is our world really so busy that we haven’t time to either ask about something we don’t understand or to look it up?

In any field of knowledge abbreviations and short cut speech will occur - my own area of expertise was infamous for jargon - but, as long as it isn’t used to exclude others, most people seem to manage. On this forum a couple of dozen abbreviations is usually enough to be familiar with.

BTW ‘abbs’ is a new one to me.🙂

4 likes

"BTW ‘abbs’ is a new one to me."

Is it? Hmm, and you did not need to ask what it was......clever you😉

Re busy world - some are working/raising families (not me), just pointing out. 🙂

1 like

I use my phone to log on and cannot find the icon in right to click on Mind you I'm always doing things wrong even when replying

1 like

You are right the list seems to only be available if you access the forum via a computer.

Pete

Thanks Pete Least I know it's not me missing it That's why I ask if i see something I don't know Even if I ask wrongly

1 like

On phone or tablet computer, pinned posts are usually at the bottom of the page in portrait orientation.

Well I found it at bottom Clicked it and it took me to here

Click on the one with the arrhythmia alliance logo beside it.

healthunlocked.com/afassoci...

We live and learn

1 like

Every day is a school day

1 like

What is a computer....

1 like

An electrically powered abicus😜

3 likes

Pete it's battery powered

Mine isn't. It has to be plugged in and all connected together.

Isn't it like a abacus

It's all bits and bytes...in years to come we will flick a switch and there will be light..

2 likes

IMHO sadly no one list can be completely comprehensive. But I wouldn't have any problem at all with someone asking me what an abbreviation meant in the course of answering my post/thread.

TTFN :D lol. tyvm

7 likes

TT FN ????

You had to be a Radio2 listener ........

Tata for now Thank you very much

3 likes

As I said - only an idea. Having said that; If anyone wishes to look, then you will see that it is problematic, as other posters have posted numerous posts concerning the matter.

If anyone is suggesting the answer is to "Google" the answers, then that is plainly the wrong approach, as it is detrimental to the forum. To go down that route, then you might just as well go straight to Google and bypass the forum. The whole idea of any forum, is to accumulate as much knowledge as possible, so that it is a one stop shop.

Personally I do not see it as any big deal , as it could be updated as we went along. If Americans, Canadians,Australians,Newzealanders/ wherever, have different terms, then just add the country, instead of correcting it as we go along.

It would be proper if we could help another, by knowing what they were talking about, instead of Criss Cross referencing.

1 like

Perhaps you would like to send an email to the admins and ask them - and post suggestions. That’s what I did after getting rather fed up of answering repeatedly - which resulted in the pinned post.

Bear in mind that admins are volunteers only and the rest of us just posters,

Personally agree with other answers above TTFN

2 likes

WDYFOAGAL..........

1 like

There you go.......probably an insult - totally wasted😂 I told you we need a proper list - thanks for proving it😂

1 like

Why Don’t You Facilitate Organising A Glossary About Letters......

2 likes

Haha, if I knew what they were.......I would not be asking in the first place. I think that you need that " lie down in a dark room "😉

😀

In this digital age where people are losing their writing skills i would prohibit the use of abbreviations and acronyms. It is amazing how lazy we have become.

7 likes

Absolblinkinglutely!!

4 likes

Ikr

Indeed..

The abbreviations list provided by Admin is pretty comprehensive

healthunlocked.com/afassoci...

if I don't understand something and it is not in the list I will make the effort to look it up or I can always ask in a thread and someone will know and tell me.

This site is 'free', run mainly by volunteers and a really useful resource for many of us, I think it is churlish to complain about minor details. We are lucky to have it.

4 likes

"I think it is churlish to complain about minor details."

I never realised that it was "Churlish" to state what was an "idea". Would you also say that the link in your post, incidentally (a sticky), obviously (requested by others) was "Churlish"?

It leaves me speechless to think that you would classify Abbreviations & Acronyms as "Minor Details"! Do you honestly think that clearing up communication is a bad thing?

John we come here of our own free will not by invitation. If this was a resource for which we were asked to pay it would be slightly different but it is not , it is free and run mainly by volunteers. I do not expect 'perfection ' I am just grateful this site is here at all.

7 likes

I understand it's free, I understand and do not expect perfection. Having said that I only asked............ "I am wondering if it would be considered, that we have something on the lines of say"?

Little did I realise that the Administration link had only been posted some 8 months ago, no doubt at the behest of others who had asked the same/similar request. I wonder if they received the same negativity as myself?

Hey no sleep lost, and its no big deal as I hear that the dark ages........might be alright.

John if I felt that way I would compile a comprehensive list of abbreviations and acronyms and send it to Admin with a request to post it as an update to the sticky or start your own thread .

1 like

Doodle the other problem which few seem to understand is that because AF Association who sponsor this forum has to comply with NHS directives and anything official has to be approved by the medical board and trustees we can't just do what we want. There are strict guidelines. For example it took me nearly five months to get "Recovering From Ablation" through the system and on to the website.

4 likes

I am not surprised by that Bob, it must take a lot of hard work behind the scenes to provide us with this facility.

1 like

Doodle/Bob, The simplicity of what I am/was proposing, requires no great effort as such. If either of you care to look back to my post, I mentioned "Wikipedia". Wikipedia from what I know, is updated as and when knowledge comes along.

At the moment we have a list that is out of alphabetical order, however it is a start. My thoughts are that an alphabetical list could easily be put together/added, to be added as and when Abbreviations and Acronyms cropped up. Basically the template is already there.

Then address your concerns to the admins.

Think I may have to join Flajack in that darkened room..........

4 likes

The alternative is.......you can always bury your head in the sand 😤

I will bring the Brandy.

2 likes

Think I’ll have a lie down in a dark room.....things might be better when I wake up.....😉

4 likes

Depends who you wake up with....

zzzz

1 like

I am afraid that your precious language, which nowadays makes the communication in the whole world possible, is slowly degenerating. As a "foreigner" on the forum, I hate so much when I meet:

"I no u 2!"

I understand it in the end, but it takes me 5 minutes!

2 likes

I agree it is pitiful. Unfortunately we have some with the IQ of a goldfish, who will deride/belittle you, for wishing for better communication.

Hello John, Please do feel free to post any new abbreviations or acronyms that you have come across and feel would be helpful to the community in the original pinned thread. It would be very helpful! Alternatively, if you would prefer your additions to be included in the original post, please email me, r.harris@heartrhythmalliance.org and I will gladly add them! Best wishes, and thank you. Rachel, AF Association Patient Services

2 likes

Hi Rachel, Thank you for a refreshing response.

Whilst I will take up your kind offer, it was never my intention to overly take up anyone's time. I was envisaging something on the lines of the existing list in alphabetical order ( imo very much a cut and paste job). I would not expect vast additions, however, occasionally a new one will come through, easily put into alphabetical order for ease of reference. It would imo be correct to know what medical terminology that person is talking about.

Once again thank you. Regards John.

Let's keep this forum friendly. This forum is quite unique in that there is very little rudeness and insults about people's IQ etc. This forum is a source of great knowledge and individual experiences. It is a valuable resource for all of us. Let us always remember it is in the main run by people who give up their time to help US understand this rogue condition we call AF. I for one value this forum with or without explanations about abbreviations used by posters. If I don 't understand something I will ask or look it up. Cheers Roy

3 likes

I think that you need to stay up to speed, by doing that you will see that I am not the instigator of any insults. If you are happy to waste time looking up Abbreviations & Acronyms then that is up to you. Having said that numerous members have stated otherwise. As you can see Admin are quite happy with the suggestion.

I have not noticed you on here recently, which may explain as to how you missed many insults on a previous post directed at me - that did not seem to bother you, if you were here! Anyway as much as I do not like that route - it does not bother me, as I will never be the one to start it, however, it (can) comeback if pushed.

P.S. I note that you passed no comment on posters who "deride/belittle" other posters ! Is that alright in your book?

Everyone on this forum is fighting hard battles regarding their medical issues. This alone creates a lot of stress for us all. No need to add to anyone's stress level with subtle sarcastic belittling hurtful comments. There is a way to state frustrations and suggestions in a pleasant mature way.

2 likes

You cannot be reading the topic fully. If others start belittling as they did - they get it back. Another topic that you recently commented on, that I had posted, seen me taking copious amounts of insults/put downs etc.......strange that you never condemned those who were doing it.

Ah! An 'eye for an eye' philosophy. Just what the world needs.

No, not at all. The world is full of bullies in one form or another (cyber/keyboard bullying is one form), it is full of people who are out of argument/reasoning. Instead of backing out gracefully, they then resort to insults and put downs, if you let them get away with it - it continues.

Couldn't agree more Irina. Roy

1 like

😊

My comment about rudeness was not just about you John. Any rudeness from anyone whether or not it is in response to a perceived insult received previously or not is to my mind not acceptable on this forum. An eye for an eye policy does not work well. But it was nice that you have missed me on the forum " I have not noticed you on here recently " kind regards Roy

2 likes

If you care to go through my posts you will see that they are never rude or abusive. Tbh I think that you are over reacting, to what is no more than light exchanges between adults.

Whilst they might be light exchanges, I will mention that in the absence of moderation, I will not let it go, as I do not intend to become the forum punchbag, neither do I condone keyboard bullying/put downs as has been the attempt. Having dealt with people all of my working life, I have learnt to treat them as they treat me - it really does pay dividends, as those who resort to untidy ways against others - do not like it back. The result is, it stops.

Unfortunately much can get lost in writing, insomuch the way it comes across. Your comment came across to me as condemnation of me only, tbh re reading it, I still think that it was. It is there for anyone to see, that most of my posts are straight, some are tongue in cheek, (a bit of humour), others get what (they) sow - for reasons already explained. Having said that, none of it anywhere near to being over the top. I hope that I have cleared it up for you, and anyone else who might be interested. Kind regards John.

What does 'tbh' mean, John? Maybe you could add your personal abbreviations to your list and educate the rest of us. It would be very helpful.

1 like

Irina, If you read the the posts in particular your own, you do not like "sarcastic comments". You then bring your own brand of sarcasm by claiming that you do not know what "tbh" is😂. In the unlikely event of you not knowing, it is commonly known world wide as "to be honest". That one is so common that I would not insult people by including it. Having said that my original post was for people who do not understand medical terminology - there are many.

It is a great shame that people are being derisory to what was only (an idea), an idea that would be beneficial for those who do not understand how to get around the web. Of course the overall lack of thinking by others (this is not directed at you), is that if you/I pick up on the (wrong) abbreviation/acronym from an outside source, (there are many different interpretations out there), then the wrong information could be given out. If it were say in our own directory, then there would be less chance if that happening.

Thank you for your reply John. However, I think we should agree to differ on your perception of rudeness etc.posts.."IQ of a goldfish" adult banter...aw well. If you don't mind I will resist the temptation to go through your previous posts, I think the premise " They hit me I hit them" should have been confined to the dustbin of history a long time ago. But you are entitled to your opinion just as I am, its not right or wrong....just different. Take care. Roy

2 likes

Still no condemnation of those who initially dished it out, what does that say about you? I guess that forum favourites are allowed to get away with it - in your book. All of your comments are without foundation, because you "resist" reading my previous posts. That would be classified as lazy moderation. Roy, you should never comment without knowing all of the facts to the best of your ability. Have a good day, regards John.

Can't resist having a pop at anyone that doesn't agree with your point of view. Sad really...for the record I do like any rudeness from whatever source...you or anyone else sorry John but I have already wasted quite a few minutes of my life replying to you. I won't waste anymore. Bue and good luck

2 likes

Roy, the whole point of a discussion is for the other person to prove that your points/thoughts/ideas etc are wrong, otherwise what is the point. As I have said to others "dissect my post/take it apart", as I wish to know what the problem is, show me where I am wrong - so that I may learn. Re disagreeing, if that upsets you, then you really should not be on any forum or get involved in something that you are not prepared to read up on.

For the record "IQ of a goldfish" was directed at the poster who who wrote........ "WDYFOAGAL", as it is about Abbreviations and Acronyms, it does not take much working out to realise that it is rude/vulgar, and yet the purists say nothing. Having said that I will/would still communicate with that person in a civil manner.

Hi john6. I thought the point of a discussion was to have an exchange of information in order to learn about another point of view that might open our minds to new ideas and better understanding of others. No point in arguing with a closed mind. I've had enough of this thread. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Take care. irina

Irina, thank you. You said exactly the same as I did - in another form. As you can see I am open minded enough to read your posts fully, I just wish others would do the same and not cherry pick to suit. Anyway, I hope that you also have a nice day. Best wishes, John.

You may also like...