AF Association
14,024 members16,951 posts

Posture!

Most from what I can see (including myself ), talk about what foods/drinks affect us, nobody seems to mention posture. When I say posture I do not mean sitting bolt upright.

Probably more of a male thing (women do - do it), I have noticed that if I am sat watching say TV with my right foot resting on top of left knee (I know, don't do it) - it will start off a limited Afib bout......any thoughts/ideas as to the cause?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

We always advise post op surgical patients not to cross their legs due to circulation being reduced in one or both limbs as a result. I'm guessing that due to the altered or reduced circulation in your legs when you cross them, the heart has a bit of a blip trying to be as efficient as it would be if you were "spread out"

Like trying to push water through a hose at full speed when it's got a kink in it.

6 likes

I did think that it was along a similar line, having heard it said re hospital patients out of surgery in the past. I note "We"......Thank you.

I think that AF can also be triggered by the vagal nerve which may be affected by posture. I have SVT not AF but that can be set off by sitting as you describe, especially if I've just eaten.

2 likes

Hi John,

There is a very strong link between your diaphragm and the cardiac sac around your heart - each can affect the other. Personally I've found that looking after my posture (in addition to my meds) can hugely influence the length of the gap between episodes. I use monthly Amatsu (a form of Japanese osteopathy) to rebalance my body, specifically the cranial aspects of the treatment. If I have an AF episode then I may get a couple more before my next Amatsu session. After that it can be 6-8 months before the next session.

Bowen therapy works in a similar way to relax the vagus nerve.

Caroline

Caroline, thank you. I feel that only by having an inquisitive, mind along with noting what does or can set it off, can inroads be made to alleviate the condition. I have yet to see any thought in writing from the medical profession on this. If there are any tablets/medication/operation involved, then they the (medics) appear to be on it, in many respects it is containment medication/sticking plaster just to hold it together. It does not appear (to me) that enough thought is being given to what the actual cause might be.

You may also like...