Based upon my use of this board over the last two months, my advice to my newbie self would be
1. Read the forum rules. Read them again.
2. Read the information provided by AFA
3. Find and follow a small number of experienced members who post regularly and who communicate effectively.
4. Accept now what you will learn fairly soon, that you know a lot less about AF than you think you do.
5. Shut up and listen.
6. If you must speak, remember less is more.
Top of my list of members I follow is CDreamer and I recommend her to other newbies.