Palpitations following ablation

So I'm in my 20s and have regular PVCs so I opted for an ablation which was done last week.

Since the ablation I've been getting weird fluttering in my chest along with a thudding heartbeat which is a lot worse than pre-ablation. I've told the doctor who has put me back on Bisoprolol in the meantime to try to reduce them.

My question is for anyone that has had an ablation, did your heart inflame after the op and do weird things or am I alone? How long was it till they went away?

17 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Hi there I'm 45 and had an ablation on 18th Aug. 2 days later I went into arrhythmia the wort ever and went into A&E twice with tachycardia. So I have been a lot worse post op. It's 26 days later now and I'm currently getting arrhythmia every other day for 2-3 hours at a time. My cardiologist said that hopefully things should settle down with time and he knew of people in a worse state than me with great outcomes. So my advice is to expect stuff. Things you haven't felt before. But don't panic and be patient. Your heart has been through a lot and it needs time to initially complain and then get used to its new setup.

• Thanks for that. It's good to hear this.. "he knew of people in a worse state than me with great outcomes".

I guess I'm just annoyed as I'm getting these constant palpitations which also feel like I have something stuck in my throat, hopefully they'll settle down soon. All the best and I hope it works out for you too.

• Thanks I hope you have a smoother recovery than me. I've also had discomfort in my chest and a dry cough. These symptoms are just starting to go now too so again don't worry. Just try and relax and let your heart heal.

• This is quite normal. IT takes three to six months for the heart to fully recover and odd things will happen. Relax. Rest and then rest some more. Look at the bruises on you groin and and think what state you heart is in!

• Hi , yes I am getting some nice little skipped beats now and had them straight after procedure. 2 weeks post ablation today . Are you back on any beater blockers ? I went back on them for another 3 months as they help the heart stay calm while it's healing. I have read a lot of people say it gets worse before it gets better, so try and ride it out . I also have indigestion and cough when I breath in . But like bob says rest and more rest as the heart is healing. Some people don't get or feel ectopics after there procedure, however some of them are on more drugs so it could be helpful with them . Also I have seen some people don't feel anything after ablation then months down the line they get a lot of irregular beats . Also others like us that have a lot of problems strait afterwards with ectopics and then it passes in a few weeks and bliss !!! It's so early right now and I no it's a pain in the backside as we just want to feel normal again, but I think we have to try relax as much as possible and ride it out . One thing I do find helps me is drinking about 3/4 cups of boiled water a day and then plenty of bottled water , NOT COLD WATER!!! I have seen it's not advisable to drink ice cold water anymore for a lot of reasons. Hope your ectopics pass soon and you start feeling better ๐Ÿ˜Š

Best wishes

Sam X

• Sorry just seen your on beater blockers, give them time to work as they can take a few days to a week to get going on the right dose , it should help with your ectopic beats ๐Ÿ’—

• Thanks for this detailed reply, I appreciate it. I hope you get better soon too :)

• No cold water hmmm I recommended that to my brov can you tell me why please or point me to an article thanks

• It's from a family member that's a personal trainer and also from my mums dietitian. Apparently it's a shock to the system and also to do with taking meds . Apparently its advisable to drink water from the bottle at room temp ! But I'm no doctor. You might find it on the web .

• Ahhh I'm a cardiac nurse and that exactly what you want the shock to the vagus nerve, it slows it down hence it ultimately slows hopefully the heart rate,,,

I didn't want to be presumptuous is things change all the time,

Another trick we do is holding your breath then bearing down as thou you are on the loo

Thank you for your answer

• O yes I have done that in the past myself, this was more to do with the indigestion I had post ablation and wind ๐Ÿ™Š so stuck with room temp water . Apparently it's better to digest meds with as well . ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• Ahh with you now, my brov hopefully having ablation soon , were you well After ?

• Mine was a bit complicated as they found SVT in my right atrium and it was very near my AV node ๐Ÿ˜ฌ so the RF ablated right and cryoablation in the left . So my ticker has took a good kicking . But 2 weeks down the line I am ok ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿผ getting ectopics every now and then some days more than others but it was the wind and digesting food strait afterwards was a bit hard . Past that now though ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผjust still taking it easy this week then up my pace a bit more next week . What kind of ablation procedure is he having ?

• So pleased to hear xx

• We don't know till wed next, one problem is he has regurgitation of his triscuspid valve

I asked an ep the other week and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

Fingers crossed

• curejoy.com/content/never-d... hope this helps ๐Ÿ˜Š

• I had a lot of arrhythmia post maze procedure and mitral valve repair.

Way worse than pre op. It took quite a while to calm down but about a year later, and from then on, (now almost 4 years) I have afib less than 1% of the time. Palpitations decreased beginning about 6-7 months post op.

You may also like...