Alcohol v caffeine or both starting afib off and ectopic heart beats πŸ’—

This is something I have been wanting to ask about? Sorry for all the questions again πŸ™„πŸ™ˆ a lot of research has pointed to alcohol and AFib some towards caffeine as well . But as I gave up caffeine years ago because it made my ectopics worse and eaven chocolate 🍫? I did like my few wines back in the day😬 however I tryed something out and you could say I used myself as a tester . My drink 🍹 of choice was white wine and soda, red wine , or cider . But this after a while would start me sneezing about half an hour after I drank any of them . I do like a tipple on a Saturday and sometimes a Tuesday night not a lot . However I had a hemorrhage from my uterus 3 years ago and a blood transfusion. Now this was before my AFib was dignosed. So on my drs advice I switched to Guinness and black for about 4 weeks and noticed I didn't get as many ectopic beats or sneezes. So then I went back to red wine and yes it started again and ectopic beats πŸ’—. Now I have been diagnosed with AFib my cardiologist is not a fan of alcohol but said in some people it can trigger symptoms and some it doesn't. I still have a couple of cans of Guinness but don't go silly but hangovers are definitely gone now for me ! As I have noticed when I have been on a night out the next day my heart is jumping all over the place . But if I have a few cans and no more ime ok πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ does anyone else still drink caffeine or alcohol? Or did you give it or both up before or after your ablation! And no way will I touch a drop of alcohol after my ablation at least 3/4 months if every thing goes ok πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ but if things are not ok I just won't drink ! But I would love to here some feedback as there's a few people that have been ok in moderation and had no problems with both caffeine or alcohol. Would be very helpful for any feedback on this πŸ’—πŸ‘πŸΌthank you all X

Skip

Featured Content

HealthUnlocked Health Blogger Awards

Which blogger helps you manage your condition?

Vote now

Featured by HealthUnlocked

26 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Alcohol is a definite trigger for me, but not a small amount of caffeine (one strong coffee in the morning). The only alcohol which I drank - note the past tense! - was wine but it caused me endless arrhythmias and misery. Even de-alcoholised wines gave me ectopic runs and someone said it could be the sulphides rather than the alcohol.

Sugar also sets off ectopics (I take Flecainide, so am AF free) and I check labels fanatically for sugar content, or, even worse, artificial sweeteners.

The only way you will know for sure is by trial and (unwanted) error.

• That's exactly what my doctor told me about sulphides . Wine is full of it as beers 🍻 and reds . But funny thing Guinness isn't . And yes sugar for me and chillie dishes . I think sulphides definitely pay there way in agitation in the heart with AFib and other rythem problems. Thanks for the feedback 😊

• No trouble with tea - drink ten cups a day but no coffee.

After trial and error I found that wines without a sulphite warning ( all wines have it included but only has to be on the label if it exceeds 10 parts per million ) are mostly drinkable , more so whites than reds.

Thats because of the tannins in red wines are also a trigger with me , so i never drink oaked wines.

Imported Ciders,Beers and anything inbetween I have to avoid as they always seem to react - maybe the sulphides breaking down ?

Mostly its trial and error as everyone reacts differently.

• I don't see why AF should take control of my life and I drink two cups of proper tea with caffeine in the morning but no more than that as I am a poor sleeper. Through the day I drink red chai and redbush / rooibos tea which are naturally caffeine free and peppermint tea. I drink hot water too. I gave up coffee a long time ago as whenever I had it I thought afterwards that I wished I had had less of it or none at all. I've given up hot chocolate and chai latte (which can be very sweet) for the same reason. I think too much stewed tea years ago may have been the cause of my AF.

I've had one glass of wine this year and I think I had three glasses last year and nothing else alcoholic. It doesn't seem to affect my heart but I all but cut out alcohol five years ago as my GP suggested it can trigger AF. Subsequently when I took warfarin I did not want to rock the INR boat.

• Good feedback πŸ‘πŸΌ and it's very interesting to see how caffeine and alcohol effects us all . I started warfarin just over a week ago and got told to just stick at the same thing don't change anything as it can effect the levels so I am sticking to it now πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸΌ a couple of cans of the Guinness is a treat for me . I will miss the Irish πŸ€ stuff after my ablation.

• Yes, alcohol affects your INR and it's best to keep things level and not have a few drinks once a week. The new anticoagulants are not affected. I had a Guinness at the brewery when I was in Dublin the year before last.

• Since Ablation 2 June last I have been AF free, have had a few runs of upsetting ectopics it seems when I try to 'come off' my 1.25mg Bisoprolol. Alcohol was one of my triggers for AF, just 1 pint was enough to start it 3 or 4 hours later. Since the procedure I have kept away from beer (not a wine drinker) until last week when I 'risked' a pint of shandy. All was OK. I shall be very cautious and try another shandy when I feel the need. I used to love a Guinness, perhaps a Guinness shandy? On second thoughts, perhaps not!

• Good news there πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌ glad all is well for you , and yes O the beer 🍻 mine was bud and good old Stella 😬 but for some reason the Guinness is ok πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ but if I go over a certain amount then I will pay the next day πŸ™ˆ beer cider white wine red wine calnt touch it no more . Thanks for the feedback appreciate that πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Also I am happy to stay on the bisoprolol for life if it keeps them ectopics at bay after my ablation procedure πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Yes, I would like to ditch the Biso completely, hospital says keep trying to do without. This week I got a pill cutter and I am 4 days into half a tablet! That's 0.75mg a day! No ectopics as yet but it took a week or so for them to appear last time I stopped completely. I'll see what happens, can do no more. I must be a sensitive sole! Back to your question, caffeine never effected my AF but I have reduced it down now.

• That sounds more doable to be honest with a pill cutter πŸ‘πŸΌ I went from 7. 3 to 5 and noticed strait away πŸ™ˆ but that was before I was dignosed with AFib . Yes just go slow your only on a very low dose so should think you will get there no problem πŸ‘πŸΌ

• I found that coming off Bisoprolol did seem to 'unsettle' my heart for a few days, perhaps ten, but after that all was fine - so expect a little uncertainty at first, persevere through it, for a fortnight at least perhaps, and you could be out the other end with your heart as settled as ever - and no Biso!

• That's useful info, thanks. What dose of Biso where you on, did you just stop?

• I was only on 2.5 am initially, then changed to 1.25 am and pm. Then cut out the pm dose (which I often forgot anyway!), and then, many weeks later, cut out the am dose as well (with doctor's agreement of course). Now I have it as a 'pill in the pocket' to take only when AF strikes, in order to keep the heart rate below 100 at such times. The effect usually lasts about a day, during which I don't think as clearly as usual, which is a nuisance, but it's much better than never thinking clearly!!!!

• My daily 1.25 is referred to as the baby dose by the hospital! It never seemed to control my AF, h/r between 130-160ish. I also had prescribed a 2.5mg Biso which I took as an extra to the daily dose when an AF event came. This also didn't seem to do any good. Perhaps the dose wasn't enough. If taken daily though the 2.5 lowered my NSR to around 40ish, which was too low for me, like a zombie. So I didn't want to try a higher dose. Since last June I have been AF free but 3 times stopping the Biso has resulted in these ectopics which have brought feelings similar to the AF! So I went back on Biso. This time when I stop this half dose and if the ectopics return I must put up with them and try to see them out like you have done. Thanks.

• Sounds good to me πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌI would prefer to be off it as I no it doesn't help with depression in some people, so I might feel a lot better than I do now which is a bonus πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Guiness is a no no for me but lager is ok.

• Isn't it weird that it's different for us all πŸ€” this is good to no as I am very interested in this thanks for your feedback πŸ˜ŠπŸ’—

• A bit boring I know, but as a general rule, alcohol and AF don't mix. Some say it's OK in moderation, others say, why take the risk. My missus and I sometime share a can of lager with dinner, and maybe a glass of white if we go out somewhere nice.....but it's best not to touch the stuff after an an ablation for at least 3 months, longer if possible.....good luck, John

• Yep I agree John πŸ‘πŸΌ won't be touching it for at least 4 months after the procedure if of cause it's all ok πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ but definitely don't want to upset my ticker again πŸ™‚ going to try every thing to not let it come back again . Thanks John πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Sounds very much like you have similar triggers to what I had. I used to find lager and wine gave me palpitations, and maybe an af episode if I had too many and a hangover! 😬

Guinness on the other hand didn't really give me palpitations,I think it was the gas on the lager and maybe sugar on the wine?!

Love a Guinness and it's my drink of choice now as its less gassy!☘️

Tea is ok for me although coffee is a no go - even decaff

In regards to PAF, alcohol is a trigger and post ablation my electrophysiologist said I should try a few drinks one eve to see what happens.I waited a few months to let things settle,but still got palpitations....just without the af....touch wood.

As boring as it can seem,I just avoid hangovers now. I don't let AF run my life but at the same time having it changed me and I know I have to be sensible to reduce my chances of it coming back.So avoid bingeing or big sessions.

• Exactly ritch just sensible and no binge drinking πŸ™„πŸ˜‚ honestly I seen a video of a fella on YouTube and he had an electric heart ❀️ while he was waiting on a heart transplant! He was bench pressing some wight while wearing a back pack with all his heart stuff in πŸ’ͺ🏼 😱 makes ya stop and think about how lucky we are really pall πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Exactly, it is bloody scary having something wrong with your heart but at least there are options available.I work out 4 times a week and have a physical job.So I count myself lucky.

If the af is effecting your day to day life then 100% go for the Abation.

• Tarr pall πŸ‘πŸΌβ€οΈ

• I'm OK with alcohol but I keep to a pint of Guinness or a medium glass of wine. I can drink coffee but caffeine gels for exercise are a definite no. I recall having a caffeine gel and 40 minutes later on the start line of a 10k my pulse was 200, so it was walk / jog all the way.

• Interesting that john , thanks for the feedback it's good to see how it effects us all different πŸ‘πŸΌ

You may also like...