Starting to have second thoughts about my ablation procedure πŸ˜’

I am seriously starting to have second thoughts about my ablation procedure now ! I have been on here over a week and I have seen a lot of people saying that they feel worse after there ablation ? It seems a lot of people are ending up with more ectopic heart beats and fast pulse rates than before they had the procedure. To be honest my EP told me they wanted to do it before it gets worse as it's harder to ablate in some cases if your in persistent AFib ? But I am very confused now as I have only had 1 run of it that I no of . However if I don't get the ablation procedure and I have another Run of AFib and it doesn't stop or it gets worse I will probably be pulling my hair out that I didn't have the ablation procedure. Has anyone on here actually had a successful ablation and not suffered with long term ectopic heart beats??? That has had PAF ? I understand that it's a rocky start after the ablation procedure for the first 3 months or so ? But has anyone actually gone on to be free of them and AFib ? I have suffered every day with ectopic heart beats for at least 13 years and the thought of having this ablation procedure and having to go from having 5/to 10 a day to a thousand or 100 a day is just not going to sit well with me . I feel like I am about to go through a very risky procedure that is going to make me worse off but stop the AFib attacks if I am lucky !!! But then leave me with other things like a rapid pulse and more ectopic beats. Sorry for the little rant , but this is were I get very confused and disappointed that my EP has not told me about all of these things. I suppose what I am trying to say is Has this procedure actually worked for anyone 1st time or second time ? And has them symptoms gone away after the procedure and your doing good ? πŸ˜•

Skip

Featured Content

HealthUnlocked Health Blogger Awards

Which blogger helps you manage your condition?

Vote now

Featured by HealthUnlocked

101 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • i

• I had an ablation seven years ago and it was a success. No problems since then although I still take blood thinners. It was a godsend , I got my life back. I occasionally have a few palpations which I'm told are harmless.The procedure itself... I went to sleep and I woke up. Within two weeks my energy was back. I wish you well, Pam

• Aww thanks Pam πŸ’— so glad to here that your doing so well that's brilliant, I am really concerned about it and it's nice to see yourself doing so well , thank you for your reply I appreciate it x best wishes x

• I had an ablation for PAF and Flutter in Dec 2015. I recovered from the ablation really quickly but then I had a bad infection (nothing to do with the a ablation) so that set me back but as time went on my resting HR slowed to 68 and the little bursts of ectopics I used to have as soon as I lay down at night stopped. I had one 2 hour episode of AF once when I was ill and that was it. I don't take any meds for AF except Rivaroxaban.

I understand your caution but as you say you have an enlarged atrium the only way that is going to improve is by having an ablation. Don't forget, people with no problems after ablation are out enjoying life, not moaning on here!

• That's good to here your doing so well and to be honest I am new on here as I stated above !!

So forgive me if I was expecting to see some more people with successful ablations and how there procedures went for them !! But also I wasn't thinking it was going to be a forum full of success. there are going to be problems and ablations that weren't a success . As you no it is a frightening experience that has definitely took me by surprise at the age of 44 . I have also seen some good people on here that are very good at reassuring others when they are having problems. However I am just surprised by the amount of people with post ablation problems. As I said this is all new to me and so is this condition! And I wouldn't say coming on here trying to reach out for advice or wanting to be reassured is classed as moaning???? Think that's a bit harsh . Also there are people that have took medications and there left atrium has reduced in size before ablation, so that's reassuring to no !!!

• I don't think Buffafly meant you are moaning. I took that comment as meaning that when we suffer from AF etc we do come on this forum to ventilate. Many people who have had ablation no longer need to do this :) I am also waiting for cryoablation and I also have fears and doubts. Especially about the thought of loads of ectopics in place of my arrhythmias as I despise having ectopics all day long that I can feel which occasionally happens to me. But I guess this is a chance I will have to take and I just pray that it works to help me get my life back. Last night I went to my mum's house for a big meal with my siblings and my mum. It was great fun and lovely food. But the entire time at the table I had the usual fast AF, pauses, horrible feeling in my chest and feeling of being compromised all over. I am used to this and don't talk about it as I would be constantly going on if I did as my arrhythmias are so frequent during the day on and off. So I just hope that ablation will change this for me and that I can do simple things like enjoy a meal with my family without arrhythmias lurking over me all the time. Best wishes and you are amongst friends on this forum as we all understand the torment of arrhythmias :)

• Thanks for your reply vony . Isn't it funny about eating and palps? Your the first person on here I have that problem in common with . Mine are that bad sometimes I have to eat standing up so a avoid going out to meals with my kids , I've found eating only small amounts of food helps , definitely a connection between the stomach and ectopic heart beats πŸ’—. And yes it's horrible when you have all these things to add up . I am just human and have bad days like everyone else, thank you for your reply appreciate it and good luck with your ablation , some good things about cyroablation on YouTube X

• There are plenty of others who find that eating and AF are connected. It is all to do with the 'vagus nerve'. I suggest you search on here for 'vagus nerve' or 'vagal AF' and read what others have written (see the box in the top right of the screen)

Also do read Bob's reply to the next post, about ectopics and breathing exercises. They do seem to help.

• Hi Sam

I'm not going to go into my Ablations,

Just to tell you, about a Cardiologist called

Sanjay Gupta,

He has many extremely helpful and inciteful videos on u tube..about Atrial Fibrillation

I have pretty much watched them all.

And have made my decision on a third ablation just by his very words,

I urge you to search for him on u tube, I know you will have you're mind put at rest and allay many fears we all go through.

He also has a forum on Facebook,

Good luck to you..

• I have been following him on YouTube for ages now 😊 and he is amazing πŸ˜‰ but to be honest I think I have his head done in as well πŸ™ˆ aww thank you for your help I will keep watching his videos as he's fantastic over AFib and ectopic heart beats πŸ’— best wishes to you X

• I got the result my EP confidently promised me but if I hadn't I certainly would have been moaning, very cross and possibly having a complete meltdown! I didn't mean to imply I don't sympathise 😞

• No worries πŸ˜‰ πŸ‘πŸΌ good to no your doing well I hope I get the outcome I want X

• I also am hoping for ablation soon. I see the EP after my Provider refers. I dropped the one I had as he was not very responsive and was very abrupt with me. I can relate to the sitting around the table with family/friends and bouncing into Afib. You sit there trying to be normal all the while feeling rotten and wishing it were not so.

• Sorry, bad choice of words late at night πŸ˜ͺ As a few others do I still visit because when I first had AF I had very little information and the only people with AF I knew were older members of my family which wasn't helpful.

• Your comments are always thoughtful and helpful Buffafly xx

• Your comments are always thoughtful and helpful Buffafly xx

• 😘

• you mention your age and that may be a factor in the EP's thinking as there would be many years of potent drugs if you went down the drugs route- however I do understand you are thinking very carefully about the risks involved and that is sensible

• Thank you rosy . I am getting the jitters and I would think a lot of people go back and forth with this at some point before there 1st procedure? I appreciate you taking the time to reply thank you X

• I can understand that and it's difficult for you as you say you have only had one episode of AF- are there any underlying reasons for your AF?- are you an athlete? any other heart issues? Thyroid problems? these should be sorted out if you have them as the AF would be just a secondary result if so.

You are free to seek a second opinion or to say you want to delay ablation and wait to see what happens.You need to have proper medical advice based on your medical history- most people decide to go for ablation when their symptons are making their life very difficult- in your case , because you are a lot younger, the EP might be thinking it's best to act now to prevent a cycle of AF developing as the drugs needed have bad side effects if taken for years- can you ask to talk to someone else a the hospital as it may help you to make your decision

• My last scan came back with mild regurgitation in the matril valve but no sighn of heart disease, also now have a serverly dialated atrium. This was a shock as every scan I have had over the years has came back 100% normal. My last scan was 3 years ago . But I have been getting off the dreaded diazepam over the past 3 years what was given to me as they said I had very bad anxiety and to chill out πŸ™„ them benzodiazepines reek havoc with your nervous system when cutting them and my heart revved up its game over the time I have cut it down . I am apserlutely convinced the BP rises up and down have caused me to go into AFib and maybe the regurgitation is now there because the atrium is so dilated. I have a cardiologist and a EP the EP didn't have my scan results on the day but has now and I think I need another appointment to ask more questions. I think I have to get the ablation as they did say it's better to get it now than later . I have really got no choice as I don't want to avoid it then bang I have a run again and it stays . Very flustered with it all to be honest. But loosing my older brother at the age of 46 in his sleep with no warning to heart failure and now a first cousin is in heart failure at age 40 and is male body builder? Makes me think I need it doing as ime on my way to heart failure in the near future. This is why ime very nervous and my head is saying you have to get it done . The EP looked at everything on the day she had at the time and offered me the ablation. So dignosed November and looking at July for procedure. But I told them I want my EP who is a professor at glenfield to do it and no one else .

• it sounds like you are in good hands- you were right to mention in an earlier post that you should have someone- and a centre- where many ablations are done. The risk is much reduced when you have an experienced set up- I asked an EP who is very experienced what their serious complication rate was and it was very much lower than the averages you see in articles.

I think the main things is to keep calm- easier said than done I know. Being younger, you will cope better with the minor complications that people have. A large number of people seem to have short runs of AF just after ablation because the heart has been disturbed so don't take any notice until some time has gone by

Good luck !!

PS tell your body builder relative to detrain- that will help the heart to normalise again

• Thank you rosy I think your in the bigger picture now of how it's going for me πŸ™ˆ but yes I will definitely ask a lot more questions . Thank you for your support and feedback it's so helpful to me and I appreciate all comments good or bad . And thanks for the advice on my cousin, he's calmed it right down but the wired thing is him and my brother never had any palpitations or warnings 😳 so at least we're lucky to feel them in a good way hay πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ’— thanks again for comenting and your advice X

• good luck-myope all goes well fr you

do let us know how you get on

• sorry bad typing ! meant hope all goes well for you !!

• Thanks rosy I will stay on here eaven if it's successful as I would like to help others like myself that are petrified πŸ™πŸΌπŸ’—πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Hi

Hope u feel well and welcome to this fourm 🌺

Yes your right the words given to you were harsh and sharp

Unfortunately we will always come across rude people in life that dont think about what they say

But many here are kind aNd sweet

You are young πŸ˜‰ research and refective on afib and everything around it

Change your life style

inflammation seems to be the key to this afib in otherwise healhy people

🌺

• Thank you for your very kind words, I was thinking it was just me being a bit dramatic about the moaning thing , but I honestly think people are very confused and nervous about ablation procedure like me . A lot of people find it hard to ask for help or comfort and reassurance about there journey what ever outcome it may be ? I am trying to get as much feedback good or bad so I am prepared for the procedure and get no sneeky surprises afterwards unexpectedly. So I don't mind hearing people having a good rant or saying how it feels. I am just a bit jittery and I think now talking to everyone on here that it's totally normal πŸ™‚ to feel that way . I am quite a bubbly person that has a sense of humour and people think ime doing grate ? But i joined here to speak about it as I am driving my poor husband insane with it all so now he's getting a breather and poor bob is getting it πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ™ˆgod bless him lol . Aww thank you for your reply I appreciate that πŸ™‚πŸ’—X

• I don't think Buffafly's words were either harsh or sharp - I moan, complain, seek comfort and advice and do it all on this forum. If I think too much about AF, it scares the hell out of me - and my AF is mild in comparison to what some people here have to suffer.

If I were rid of it tomorrow I might join the ranks of the non posters, but in the meantime, I'll feel free to moan - it's my safety valve.

• Buffafly, you are one of the lucky ones as your first ablation worked. Perhaps your AF wasn't quite as severe as some get! I've had three and still get AF and am in week four of a disabling attack now. How can you talk about people with AF moaning on this forum! This site is to help and reassure people when they need some support, that's what it's here for.

• That's exactly what I thought jean , and agree with you on that . Thought it was a bit harsh myself and I thought that's what this forum was for to reach out to people good and bad πŸ˜•πŸ’—X

• It is and it's very rare that we get anyone making cutting remarks on this site. I think buffafly has apologised so perhaps it was just words spoken in haste and not meant as nasty. x

• i read Butterfly's remark to mean those whose ablations didn't work come back to let off steam whereas those who have successful ablation don't-- think it was meant to reassure re success of ablation !!

• Jeanie, I wasn't​ lucky, I had the expected result. You and a relatively few others didn't and are entitled to moan, scream or sue if it helps. Sam asked for a positive story and that is what I took trouble to write instead of reading my bedtime book.

• I had cryoablation almost three years ago and have not had afib since. The only problem I had was internal bleeding because I was given lovenax together with coumadin which was just too much for me. I was given a blood tranfusion and t he leak was surgically sealed off.

There were no other problems so far.I'm very happy with the quality of life I now have.

I hope youfind this helpful in making the decision.

• Aww that must of been frightening at the time ? They have said that's one of the risks to me . So glad your doing so well it's lovely to here that Rebecca x thank you for your reply I hope your AFib stays away and you have no more problems πŸ’— best wishes from me x

• Do it. You will never look back. I'm 2 years in and have no problems. Good luck!

• Thank you for your reply and that's fantastic news !! It's nice to here some good feedback. Wish you all the best πŸ’—x

• Hi Sam I think with Ablations it's effect differs on different people.I my self have had two Cardiversions and two Ablations over a six year period the first ablation lasted eighteen months still with medication ,the second Ablation was carried out six months ago ,was admitted to Hospital three weeks ago for three days with a heart rate of 130bm and a pause between some beats of 4 seconds .I am now on 10 bisoprol and 25 flexedine no problem at the present time ,but it's like living on a knives edge .No alcohol only decaffe coffe and tea.We all know Sam how you feel I have read on this site some one having six Ablations .Wish you well Sam for the future .Lofty in Dorset.

• Aww thanks lofty , sorry to hear about that. Hopefully this second one will be the one for you . I don't no if this may help in any way but I am on a Facebook page and some other people that have had some failed ablation procedures have gone to another EP and hospital and they have had a successful ablation. Just a thought as I got told to make sure that my EP has done a lot of ablations and check all there background as well as what type of ablation procedure they use . Wish you well and hope your AFib stays away πŸ’—best wishes xx

• Hi Sam72-

I reckon most people who've had successful ablations aren't on this forum.

Mine was in 2005 and it was a total and immediate success. It was no problem at all. Only issue I had was being careful showering and moving for a week with my groin entry point.

I went into hospital with bad AF that had just turned persistent, and I came out with nothing, absolutely nothing and I felt great. In my case, there was no recovery period that I was aware of, except my chest did feel funny/tight for a week, maybe two, that was it. I came off drugs a few days before the ablation and stayed off them except anticoagulation which I'm on probably for life. The drugs were affecting my life. I was back at light work in a week or less and went on holiday to Seville the third week.

My AF came back a little, as predicted after 8-9 years, so I'm back on drugs now but I reckon the drugs couldn't cope with what I would have now, had I not been ablated. I actually can't imagine what it would be like now as I was in a right state back then.

I had a 2nd ablation about 3 years ago, but it had to be aborted for other reasons. I hope maybe I'll be offered another but my drugs are coping well at the moment.

First ablation was under sedation, 2nd GA. Not sure which I choose if offered a choice.

I'm not trying to convince you to have an ablation, just telling my story to give balance as most posts on the forum generally are to do with people with problems. Best to work on actual stats and expert opinion I'd say.

Anyhow, whatever you do, I hope you get your AF under control.

Koll

• Aww thanks koll . I have heard it can come back and they go in again , my personal opinion is I think this is what happens to people with AFib let's hope in the near future they find a cure and an ablation procedure that is 99% success rate πŸ’—πŸ‘πŸΌ thanks for your reply and letting me no how your experience is with ablations . Wish you well koll πŸ’—x

• Worked for me first time - 2 years down the line. No AF and no ectopics that I am ever aware of.

You will always regret not having it done. Think on this; without an ablation, your AF will never get better and it will almost certainly become more frequent and longer lasting. And there will come a time when it is too late to have a successful ablation.

Conversely, the chances of you being worse off following an ablation are very small indeed.

Finally, and importantly, if you find the responses you receive to your question are not entirely balanced, don't forget that so many of those who have had successful ablations don't come to this forum anymore - because they don't have AF!

Good luck but think very hard before turning this opportunity down.

• Thanks Robert , i think because I was on a Facebook page with a lot of people that had not only AFib but heart failure and also SVT and more ? I have seen some people who have had successful ablations and not had nothing after there ablation procedure. Not eaven ectopics. So then with this being a AF forum I was expecting a lot of people that didn't have success but also thought I would see more people with successful ablations. I understand if people have had a successful ablation they might not stay on these forums? As I have said it's all new to me and Ime probably grabbing out to hope that every thing is going to be ok . But in reality it's not for everyone. Thank you for your feedback and I appreciate it big time . Best wishes to you πŸ’—x

• 80% of all ablations are safe and successful.

Those that have had had a successful ablation are most unlikely to hang around a forum for a condition that no longer bothers them.

I am one of the 20% which is why I am still here.

Pete

• Hi Pete sorry to here that . I understand what your saying and your right about the 20% . And also the 80% . I suppose I was hoping for more successful stories and outcomes but in reality that's not the case . However I was expecting more of the 80% to be on forums like this one as well as the 20% . If that makes sense? So basically if 80% have had success then I would think at least 40% or even say 20% would stick around to talk about that there own procedures. I hope I have put that right ? Take for instance this post ? Look at the comments and see how it levels out ?? This is interesting to me now as this is what I was looking at to get a good idea of the successful ablations and the unsuccessful. Thank you for your feedback as this is very helpful to someone like me . I wish you well and appreciate you taking the time to reply . X

• I think that people only look for forums like this if they want reassurance.

I am convinced that the vast majority would get their ablation done and get on with their lives not even looking for a forum.

I have to admit that when things are going well for me I don't look so often except to try and offer support to others when I think I can offer constructive comments.

Pete

• Hi Sam,

I had my ablation three and a half years ago and was taken off medication straight after ( apart from anti-coagulation of course). My post ablation 'thumps and bumps' are well documented on here but as a helpful warning not to be surprised or frightened if they happen, they are usually occasional and normal. I didn't develop anything new like ectopics, though my heart rate took a few months to return to pre- procedure level but was always below 100 so different but not a problem.

What I am trying to say is it is a bit like saying you are not going to fly in a plane because it might crash, No procedure is without risk and, as Buffafly said, many of the people who have had a successful ablation do not need this forum any more. Whereas the ones who are having difficulties are here for the support, we generally don't hear of the ones who walked out of the hospital and have never looked back. Liked the planes that landed safely.

My AF and Flutter had very few symptoms and I too wondered if it would be worth having the ablation but AF is usually progressive, I was 67 and it was more than worth it for me.

Read as much information as you can before you make the decision.

Best of luck

Angela

• Aww thanks for getting back to me with your feedback I appreciate it and your advice X best wishes to you and I hope you are doing well πŸ’—X

• Hi sam , I have had 3 ablations over a couple of years and I don't regret one of them. I have a good quality of life now compared to life before my ablations, I continue on my medication and have adapted my life style ( no running or alcohol 😒) but I am able to walk in the country and shop! πŸ‘these things I struggled with before the ablations. whilst I am not back to how I was before the AF, for me they have been a positive experience and would go through it all again ! Good luck

• Aww thanks for your feedback and reply I appreciate it . Glad your feeling better now x did you have PAF or persistent AFib if you don't mind me asking? I appreciate you commenting and taking the time to reply to me x

• I had my first and only ablation in Nov 2013. Took 5 months for various arrhythmias and bumps to settle but af free since. Fantastic to be able to do all the normal things again.

Having said that it does seem early days to make this decision if you really have only had one episode? Have you been given a Monitor to wear for a period to check if you are having episodes that you are unaware of?

• I had a implant loop recorder in for 3 years and they put the one in I had to actually activate when I felt something as they thought it was SVT symptoms I had been getting as apparently they are very similar. However older brother died in his sleep of heart failure no warning. And first cousin also male has heart failure age 40 . So I am thinking maybe that's why they aren't waiting for more episodes to come back. It's very confusing and frightening for me . X

• It is perfectly normal to have second thought just before the procedure - I certainly did!

But then life had become intolerable with episodes every few days. Yes, the first ablation made things worse for me and I needed a second which I had about 10 weeks later and that did the trick. I didn't have so much as an ectopic but my HR was raised above normal and took about 9 months to settle down completely. That is normal. It doesn't impede in anyway it is just a sign that you need to slow down a bit, not overdo things and listen to your body.

Some people do too much too soon, I did after first, and boy will your heart react and let you know, in which case - rest! Three years after the ablation I am having episodes of AF again but I have had 2.5 years completely AF free and no noticeable ectopics - we all have ectopics - they are only noticeable to us when we have too many. The episodes I have now are not nearly as symptomatic than they used to be and I take absolutely no drugs - which was my main reason for wanting an ablation.

My understanding of your post is that you have had only one episode? There are 2 schools of thought here -

1. The sooner you have the ablation the better because AF begets AF so it will only progress and therefor the sooner you have ablation the higher the chance of complete success.

2. If you have had one episode and it may be your only episode ever. Lifestyle changes such as very careful alcohol management, diet - 80% plant, regular exercise regime - daily 10,000 steps of moderate to brisk walking and addressing stress and anxiety through relaxation and meditation.

If you have done all of No2 and you still have AF then it means that AF is not triggered by lifestyle - therefor I would go straight ahead and have the ablation.

If I am correct and you have had only one episode and you have a good lifestyle and couldn't possibly make any improvements such as weight loss, addressing possible underlying causes such as thyroid issues, diebetes, other cardiac conditions and a really important one - sleep apnea, then in your place I rather think I would investigate what else I could do to improve my health first.

At the end of the day only you can make that decision - would you be better off or worse? Which would you worry about more - having ablation or not? If you had another episode of AF what would you do and would you still have support of your EP and Arrythmia Clinic.

I didn't have an easy ride - I had AF for over 7 years before I even knew about ablation and given what I know now and ablation had been available to me - I would have said yes please! The procedure itself has some small risks but the potential benefits are great. It is a lot easier (for the patient) than you could possibly imagine.

• Thank you so much for this fantastic feedback. I now have a severely dialated left atrium and mild regurgitation in the matril valve . And what your saying is exactly what my EP said ? They want it done before it gets to make its own new pathway if that's the right words ? If I am honest I think my anxiety meds have a lot to do with my heart problems. But I am just getting the jitters now which has got to be normal. Thanks for your feedback as it's helped me calm down abit more and got my head on the have the procedure path again . Appreciate it and thanks again .

• Sam just consider this.

Ablation has the best chance of improving your quality of life. Fact.

AF is a progressive condition and will get worse over time. Fact.

Persistent AF is much more difficult to ablation that paroxysmal. Fact.

Successful ablatees seldom hang around here as they no longer need our support, Fact.

Ectopics and fast heart rate are NOT AF and do not carry the same burden of risk. Fact.

OK it took three ablations to fully sort my AF and had that not been done it is unlikely that I would have been able to have the life saving cancer operation which I did some six years ago. The surgeon agreed that he would have been reluctant to go ahead had I still been in AF and the alternative treatment (and this is my opinion) would have likely failed due to complications they found during the four and a half hour operation.

Would I have another ablation should I need it.? Yes in a heart beat. The time I have been AF free regardless of any ectopics has been so worth it.

Bob

• You are just what I needed bob πŸ‘πŸΌ good no messin around strait to the point guy . Them facts are good facts !! I think I am still trying to get my head around it all as some people go longer with it before they get offered the ablation. I am told November and procedure will probably be done July! Also new to AFib . And now on warfarin!! And highest dose of beater blocker. Probably just getting my head around it all now and getting jittery about it big time . Thanks bob , you have just put my dummy back in my gob πŸ‘πŸΌand believe me not many people can do that with me X

• Sam, I don't agree with your view that ablation is 'a very risky procedure'. Yes, there are risks but some will be soon be resolved if they happen and really dire ones are very unlikely. Instead, how about: I feel like I am about to go through a slightly risky procedure that is going to make me better off but might not stop the AFib attacks if I am unlucky !

I've had the following message from someone and I've copied and pasted verbatim:

'It is now 16 months since my ablation and my heart seems to be behaving itself, as I have not had any episodes of AFib since.

Thank you for the invitation to join you all for a natter, but I will decline if you don't mind. Apart from still taking an anticoagulant every morning I feel like that part of my life is over.'

• I have seen the risks and I think it's very risky that's my opinion on it I have the risks information in front of me now!! Unless your an EP or something else I have to disagree with you on that myself. Any procedures on your heart is not taken lightly. Once they burn inside your heart that can not be reversed . I am trying to get my head around it all in months as I found out November and will probably be in that lab in July!! That's a lot to take in for a person that thought they just had bad anxiety. This is why I came here to see for myself from people that are going to have the procedure and also had the procedure!

• Well, I understand your hesitation. We have had people on the forum who have backed out of ablations because they felt it was not for them. For me, very risky is a one in three chance of something going very wrong and my EP suggested to me that I had a .05% chance of that. I've had three ablations with no complications.

I am hesitating about having a fourth and that's partly because there are risks. It is also because actually I'm not displeased with the way things are. I get very minor AF occasionally. I'm about where I was seven years ago and the progression has been halted. I now take an anticoagulant (I'm 70) but I don't take a daily antiarrhythmic. I'm much better off than I was before my second ablation when I was taking the top dose of flecainide every day. Had I not opted for the ablation route, I think I would have permanent AF now.

I feel ablation is like crossing a busy road to get from the shadows to the sunny side.

• To be honest I don't mind taking a beater blocker for the rest of my life but at a lower dose . And I probably won't get off blood thinners for a long time , but I don't mean this nasty or to be rude to you in any way as I my mother raised me to have reaspect for my elders but I am 44 years old and it's very hard when I seen the risks on paper and got told them . So to my mum she's all for it and wants me to have some good quality of life as she knows how hard it's been for me over the years not getting a reasult. But now it's got a name it's frightening as it says usually people over the age of 60 get it ? However I no of children that have it . What I am trying to say is to me at the age of 44 them risks are risky taken my children's ages and how it effects us all as a family not just me . We're as some one like yourself who is 70 and probably is a lot braver and has seen more than me in life looks at them risks and it doesn't seem very risky . I am not trying to be disrespectful by any means whatsoever. But I had no idea how old you were and if you were a PAF AFib or persistent AFib patient. I understand we're you are coming from and I still think the procedure is very frightening for someone of my age and also for someone that has never had an ablation procedure done. I could be on here in 6 months time and be saying it was the best thing I ever done ? I appreciate your feedback and think I am just getting jitters back and forth about it all . I wish you all the best and again thank you for taking the time to reply to me as I appreciate it big time X πŸ’—

• Thanks for that. I agree with you! I have lived a lot longer than I hoped or expected I would and would not feel short changed if I was to expire right now. Thus it is perhaps easier for us oldies who have the best of our lives behind us to face a risky procedure.

I really thought I would die second time round or, even worse, have a stroke and I walked into the cath lab thinking 'these are the last steps I will ever take'. I think all candidates for ablation should be taken in to see the technological excellence at the disposal of the EP and his team - there are about six of them. At one of my ablations a very kind and understanding lady told me that I might not notice her - I noticed absolutely nothing or (probably more accurately) I don't remember noticing anything - but her job was to monitor me in various ways and I was to know that she would be watching me like a hawk all the way through. Very reassuring!

• Your a very brave person and the way you felt going in for your second one is exactly how I am thinking it's going to go for me ! I am petrified of hospitals as I haven't had a very good experience with them and I question everything before and afterwards. I have had so many drs look at me like I am a basket case and say it's all in my mind πŸ™„ but it doesn't matter what age you are every ones life matters and if your 23 44 or 84 we all have hearts β™₯️ and some need fixing. We all deserve the best quality of life that we can get !! My mammy has had beat breast cancer and whomb cancer and is 73 ! She's my inspiration and has a better social life than me . My husband being in the RAF took me away from my family in liverpool and brought me here to lincoln but my mammy will get on that train and do the 3 hour journey to stay with me β™₯️ she's a fighter and proves that as she puts it to me ? Her mind is able but the body isn't as willing? But she goes with her walking stick and bad legs and jumps on buses into town . I admire my elders and we are all going to get old there's no question about that . Your doing great and you sound like a very positive person Xx

• Sam since the blame and sue culture migrated from US to UK we are told all sorts of risks however small so that you can't sue the doctors in the unlikely event that it did. As a devout coward myself I would not do anything which I considered risky and I did it three times.

• Thanks bob I no I must have every ones heads done in on here over this procedure πŸ™ˆπŸ˜© but I honestly keep getting more nervous as the days go on . I think this has got to be normal or I would be crazy to not have fear or hesitation over the unknown . But you are right and I can't argue with what you have put to me ! I hope I can get a good outcome from this procedure and be able to help others with this like yourself and a few others on here ! I salute you and them bob ✌🏼your a credit to this forum . To be honest if it wasn't for you I probably would of left here sceard out my mind X

• I was having second thoughts right up to the point they administered the GA. It's not normal to be in a hospital preparing for a procedure.

However,it's now day 2 post ablation. My heart rate is now back to 65bpm (on 2.5 mg bisoprolol) prior to the ablation it was 55 BPM so I'm happy with that.

I am feeling more ectopic beats than before, but it's only day 2 and you know, the old ticker has had a bit of a beating hence the rest period. Maybe I'm feeling the ectopics because I'm doing nothing, I rarely feel them if I am up and doing something.

There is no pain, just some mild discomfort, but that's from having a GA rather than the ablation itself.

I know it's early days and I can only hope that it has worked. But given the choice of progressively more episodes of AF and a 70-80% chance of being rid of it I'm now sure I made the right choice.

I have a friend that had an ablation 9 years ago, he's not had AF since and regularly cycles 60 miles a day in the hills of Derbyshire. Let's hope that we can be the same.

• Aww glad to here off you mike . And your spot on I'm only human and going from November to now thinking and being told I was just anxious to you have AFib at 44 and aload of other heart problems to see you in July for an ablation procedure is a shock to me . I am trying to take it all in pall πŸ˜• wishing you a speedy recovery and sending my best to you Hun X

• Yay!!!!!

• Hi Sam72,

I had my first ablation a year last November. I was warned it would take a while to recover and while the immediate after-effects of the procedure were pretty minor, it still took about six months before I began to feel better and my heart rhythms settled. I've now been AF free for getting on a year which is great. However, I'm under no illusions - I know that AF can return so I treat every day as a bonus. I hope you go ahead with ablation and that it is a success for you. Just take it easy and don't expect immediate results.

• That's fantastic news and thanks for your feedback as i appreciate it x it helps me to no about the after effects πŸ’—

• No problem. I hope all goes well for you.

• Do not be put off by comments on this forum. It's a small number of people who regularly appear on here, and they are not likely to be those without cΓ³ntinuing problems, so dont think they represent the vast silent majority.

• Thanks gateman πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ’— just all getting to me and starting to get the jitters , thanks for your reply.

• I understand the posts but had my ablation early after diagnosis and honestly wished I hadn't for about 3 months! Pulse was all over the place! As low as 30BPM and up to 120 felt tired when it was so low couldn't go running and thought they had completely ruined me.

BUT 4 months on It got better. It can take longer depending on how long it takes for the scar to form. I am now 2 years in no episodes for over 18 months and run regularly up to 12 miles it worked for me and I was one of those cursing having ever let them do it. Get the full SP from your cardiologist get him to explain what makes it work for an informed decision before you decide.

I am AF and ectopic free at present and take no medication at all

Good luck

• That's fantastic news πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘ŒπŸΌthank you so much for your feedback it's brilliant to here some good news and I wish you well πŸ’—πŸ‘πŸΌ

• Hi Sam, I'm one of the silent majority. Three months post ablation, and with no problems apart from a very few short runs of ectopic beats, I still check the posts on the forum most days but don't feel I have much to say.

Before the ablation I had infrequent (about every 4 weeks) but very symptomatic episodes of paroxysmal AF resulting in twice being carted off to hospital in the back of an ambulance with a heart rate of over 200. My ablation was just over 12 months after first diagnosis but much of that time was waiting for an NHS appointment and then a date for the ablation. It was the severity of the symptoms plus the side effects of medication that prompted my lovely GP to refer me so soon.

I'm still very much keeping my fingers crossed but getting less anxious by the day about when another episode might start and looking forward to getting on with a PAF free life.

Like Bob I would undergo another ablation in a heartbeat if needed but I'm hoping I'm one of the 80% success stories that my consultant estimated.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide.

Val

• Sam,

Everyone's experience is different. When considering the primary clinical goal of eliminating or reducing AF, ablations are pretty successful. I'm 7 months post my second ablation with no signs of AFIB. However, the EPs often don't fully explain the side effects of an ablation even if considered clinically successful. I, like some others on this site, have experienced terrible PAC's which have not let up and are impacting my quality of life for which meds have not helped. I'm still hopeful that these ectopic beats will dissapate over time but I can't say for sure. Everyone is different in terms of how they react to the procedure- some have few or no side effects, some have a lot, like me. Having said all of that,, on balance, and depending upon ones overall health, an ablation is definitely worth consideration especially when factoring in the risks of stroke or other AFIB related event and the limited benefits of meds as time passes.

Best of luck.

• Aww thank you for your feedback. That's one of my concerns is the ectopics . Did you have PAF or persistent AFib if you don't mind me asking? As this is why they want to do mine as I have PAF ! They recommend getting in now before it becomes more frequent? Thank you for your reply I appreciate it πŸ’—X

• Yes, I had PAF, early stages, no other heart related issues and otherwise very healthy. I decided to try the ablation 3 months after diagnosis to nip it in the bud right away. First ablation did not work at all and second is holding so far. Yes, the ectopics are nasty and unfortunately the EPs aren't real sympathetic as they are not considered life threatening. But, they aren't fun. However, It Doesn't mean that you will get them or if you do, that they won't go away. I'm told that in most (but not all) cases they do go away or the intensity becomes much less. Hope that happens with mine. As always, these things are a personal decision but it's good to go into the decision making process with as much information as possible

• Sorry for all the questions but we're did you have your ablation procedure done? And do you no what type of ablation you had ? I find this very interesting as on my Facebook group this makes a great difference in discussions . Find that some hospitals and EP don't have the same outcome as others ? Not saying it's there fault of course! But it's very helpful knowing abit about the background before the ablation procedure X

• I live in California and had mine done at Kaiser Permanente. My first ablation was cryo and the second was radio frequency.

• Very interesting πŸ‘πŸΌ do you no what type of mapping system they used the second time ? I am understanding that my EP is using the topera rotation ablation procedure other name is F.I.R.M ablation.

• Ime in πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ UK

• Yes it sorked for my hubby second time but it does take several go's dor some people.

Good luck

Jane

• Thanks jane πŸ’—and best wishes to your hubby X

• I had an ablation some 7 years ago. I had PAF. Without meds just prior to my op I was in AF for some 12-15hrs a day. The meds were not controlling it and I had begun to get a reaction to the drug I was taking.

The ablation was a 98% success. Yes I do get ectopics. Ectopics are considered benign and generally are a prelude to AF. Compared to before OP I am now in charge of my life and don't give much thought to the ectopics. Are you sure you only get between 5 and 10 ectopics/day. The heart beats around 100,000 times/day so 5 is very very low as %age.

I would not hesitate to have another one if needed as I am so much better.

• That's fantastic news. I used to get a lot more but since my hysterectomy and put on biodentical estrogen they decreased . However the technical team told me every one gets about 200 a day but not all felt , so I probably get a lot more than what ime feeling . But ime on 10 mg of bisoprolol so that's probably helpful. Heart rate resting is 51bpm.

• In one of your other posts you mentioned Glenfield. I went there to have my ablation. The support there was excellent. You will be OK.

• Good to here that πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌthank you X

• I had a successful ablation about 4 months ago.

Feel so much better.

• Aww fantastic news πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌ it's so nice to here some good reasults thank you so much for your feedback πŸ’—

• Aww fantastic news πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌ it's so nice to here some good reasults thank you so much for your feedback πŸ’—

• I had an RF ablation on Feb 8th and things have been going very well. A few ectopic here and there but they are lessening. Absolutely no afib and I'm feeling pretty great. I had afib for about a year and am a very young 60 year old who didn't want to be on meds all of my life. My EP told me I could go off of blood thinners now, and that my heart is beating beautifully. I only got afib occasionally and usually after my evening meal when I sat down to relax (vagal type afib). My EP told me that it's best to get the ablation done sooner than later as afib can remodel the heart, and it just gets worse with time and one has to take more and more meds to manage it, and they're not without side effects. So I asked myself if that was the road I wanted to go down. I was petrified and read all the issues on this forum and was expecting the worst but my recovery has been really great. Went back to work a week and a half later with no problems. Started walking the dog 4 days later and took it slow. No caffeine or alcohol since because I want to give my heart time to heal fully. If you look me up you can see my post asking if anyone on this forum actually had a good outcomes, just like you did. Lots of us that have had good outcomes are not on this forum as much as before. Your heart rate will be faster right after the ablation but it will settle as will the ectopics with time...remember the heart has to heal. My EP told me anything that happens within the first three months post ablation is not to be worried about because it's part of the healing process. They just don't consider even afibepisodes within that time period problematic because you're still healing and the heart is irritated, although yes, it is a better sign of success if you don't get any at all. Best advice is to rest as much as possible and don't push yourself. I'm so happy I did this! I feel free from the anxiety this condition causes and am basically putting it behind me as the weeks go on. Hopefully I'll be one and done...and so will you! Best of luck with your decision.

• Aww this is so good to here sounds like your doing very well indeed. Fantastic news and thank you for your feedback πŸ’—πŸ˜Š and yes I believe that about the reamodeling the heart ❀️ that's what my EP told me and i am 44 so I don't fancy going onto anything more than the beater blocker that I have had for years and my blood thinners that I started just over a week ago . I wish you all the best and thank you so much for replying to my post . I am starting to feel a lot more confident about my procedure now as more people have commented about there procedures on here 😊 I was having a bit of a bad night last night and couldn't switch off to it all , but I suppose that's normal for everyone else that is going for there 1st ablation? Thank you so much again and good luck with your recovery πŸ’—X

• Have you noticed how many posters on here have had MULTIPLE ablations and still have AF? Not a selling point in my mind.

• Hi,I had an ablation a few years ago.Was diagnosed with PAF in my late twenties,and was triggered by stimulants like, alcohol (normally the day after a few) ,too much sugar/ or caffeine,exercising too hard ect

The ablation was deemed a success for me, I still get palpitations now and then and go easy on alcohol and exercise but I feel so much better then before.

Message me if you want to Know more about the ablation or Paf

All the best

Rich

• Aww thanks for your reply and yes same triggers as I have. Good to hear your doing well rich and thanks for that I will definitely take you up on your offer to a chat πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜Š

• @Sam72 I too am on the list for ablation and feeling nervous about it. But I know at least two people with PAF who have had the procedure in recent years and it's worked well, though both had to have a second. I think there may be an issue with having an experienced person do it. At Papworth they do 450 a year, so far with no failures I'm told. Worth checking the local stats.

• Aww thank you 😊 is that we're your having your procedure? I am havin mine at glenfield Leicester heart hospital with proffesor Andre NG , he was the first in the U.K. Last year to use the new topera rotation ablation. If you google him you can see his videos. Other names for it is F.R.I.M ablation. If you look on my posts I have put the video off YouTube on πŸ‘πŸΌit's very interesting 😊 good luck and thank you for your feedback, a lot of people don't check who's doing there procedures or what kind of ablation procedure they are having. I didn't no myself there are different mapping systems that can lead them to the exact part of the heart that is causing the problems? As some signal problems come from the right atrium and some don't eaven look there . Stay in touch πŸ’—πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜ŠX

• I have had 2 ablations. The first one was successful until I had a scalp surgery followed by a severe hemorrhage. I was terrified by that and a 2 AM trip to emergency and went back into AF. Then I had a cardioversion that didn't work. Then I had other issues and finally the second ablation. It's been a little over 2 months and all seems well. I did spend 2 days after the ablation in hospital as I didn't feel as perky as after the first one, but all seemed fine after I got home. My EP told me to take it very easy and not get stressed for at least 3 months, but OKed resuming gym workouts gradually. He told me that because my atrium is enlarged it promoted the failure of the first ablation. He thinks it should be better this time because they did some extra work. Because the procedure was so long (5 hours) I was really wiped but bounced back pretty quick. FYI, I'm 82.

• Aww sounds bad what you went through πŸ˜₯ ime glad your feeling better now tho πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌ thank you for your feedback, I to have a enlargement in the left atrium, but I have read on here some people's have gone back in size ? But also done reaserch that suggests people with an enlarged atrium don't have a successful outcome with ablations πŸ€” however they still do them . Did you have PAF if you don't mind me asking ? And has your atrium gone back in size now ?

You may also like...