Exercise

I am 81, fit and active, recently diagnosed by GP with AF following two events when I woke up in the middle of the night with indigestion and irregular but not fast heart beat, all sorted by 2 Rennies. Have refused anticoagulants until I see EP shortly and have stopped bisoprolol because of side effects and started magnesium, Q10, omega 3 and vit E. I have radically altered diet, given up caffeine and reduced alcohol. Blood pressure is consistent at 115/80 and pulse 70 (quite often mildly irregular but never speeds up). I have had no more events and have no other conditions unless EP finds other heart problems. My puzzle is that, unlike most of you, I feel much better (and pulse better) if I take a vigorous 4/6 mile walk every day. Even going up steep hills my pulse doesn't reach 100. My legs may get tired but there is no problem with breathing. Any comments?

I have also posted a reply to Stinky1953's question about acupuncture; I find it helpful.

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • We are all different and react differently to AF. You are not alone in finding that exercise can help to convert to NSR. You do sound as though you are quite asymptomatic, exercise is great if you are able, personally I am not able most of the time in AF and rest is the only thing that helps.

Acupuncture is very helpful but it won't cure AF, is what was said by those who tried it.

• I'm very envious of you. If I try any sort of exertion when in AF, which is 120 for me, it most times shoots up to 230/240 which is very scary and I have to lie flat on my back till its "settles" back to 120.

• Your stats are very good and a walk is excellent exercise for AF. Be careful about refusing an anticoagulant. At 68 my CHADVASC was 1, I was a long time gym bunny and had a healthy diet. An EP told me I was a low risk for a stroke and not to take an anticoagulant as I am a bleed risk. At 69 I had a full stroke that has left me blind on the right side. I have taken the same supplements that you mention for many years, but they didn't limit AF nor did it stop the stroke.

• Hello Handybe2, clearly you have a lot going for you at the moment, I can imagine loads of members wishing they could cope with AF as well as you.....long may it continue as it will be an inspiration to many.

My only concern is your reference to refusing anticoagulants. Hopefully, your EP will soon resolve this issue for you, but the risk of stroke is considerable, even if your symptoms and overall condition are good.....keep up the walking, but please don't overlook the importance of anticoagulation.....best wishes

• I would certainly take the anticoagulants, I had a few months between diagnosis and being prescribed, and think I was at some risk of a stroke.

• When I was diagnosed ( I think I had had af for a while though) I had a six week wait for the cardiologist then a four week wait for the warfarin appointment, on week three I had a stroke. My warfarin appointment letter came through while I was in hospital. I was very lucky that the treatment worked and I made a full recovery.

• Thank you all for your helpful comments. I particularly take on board what you say about anti-coagulants

• I think the downside risks from a stroke are too great to take the risk of not being on anticoagulants. I have a low platelet count, but even so was strongly advised to take the drug. I am on warfarin which many seem to shy away from in favour of more modern anticoagulants. For me the great thing about warfarin is there is a simply antidote, Vitamin K, if I have a serious bleed. I believe only one of the modern ones has an antidote and that has to be administered in an A&E dept.

• I feel it's not very likely that one will need an antidote to sort a serious bleed. Either it's so bad that there's no time for an antidote to work or it's not bad enough to need one. The gap between the two seems very small to me.

• I FEEL THE SAME WAY AS FAR AS WARFARIN TREATMENT GOES...WHY WOULD ANYONE TAKE SOMETHING THAT HAS NO ANTIDOTE?

• Some of the new anticoagulant have antidotes mow

You may also like...