AF Association
12,851 members15,677 posts

New Member From South/Central Florida

New Member From South/Central Florida

Hello, I am new to this site, and am located in south Florida.

I had a-fib and a-flutter. Had 4 episodes since end of November, 2014. The !st time I had no symptoms whatsoever, other than my BP cuff said my rate was 150. A 6 day hospital stay (could have been 3 days if my case was handled efficiently) including cardioversion completely fixed it for about 14 months. But it came back (again, asymptomatic), and instead of going to hospital ER, I went to my family doctor. He prescribed Verapamil, in which case two days later, 1st thing in the A.M. I was surprised that my rhythm was completely back to normal!

The Verapamil lasted about 2 months. Then I had to go to hospital, because the 3rd time I had serious symptoms (shortness of breath after even minor exertion). They did cardioversion, this time 4 shocks, and it still didn't help, but fortunately 2 hours later, my sinus rhythm returned!!!

But a mere two weeks to the day, my a-fib/a-flutter returned, and a short 2 day hospital stay using medication alone returned me once again back to normal.

During the month I had to wait for my ablation & not wanting to take any chances, I drank not a single drop of alcohol.

I found this study that says moderate drinking does NOT cause AF in patients with a history of AF. Only binge drinking does. So good news for those that hate the thought of giving up drinking altogether!

content.onlinejacc.org/arti...

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Sorry, the alcohol study is at: content.onlinejacc.org/arti...

There are others who believe that any alcohol at the least encourages AF because of changing the cell composition and conductivity structure and potentially affecting the heart. Predisposition is a factor.

My personal approach was why chance it (even though I am in persistent AF). Interestingly on New Year's Eve I had 1/4 of a small flute of champagne which appeared only to have had a smallish affect (did have some extra activity the next day). However at a christening last month had two sips of prosecco and heart was racing well and additional activity all within 5 or max 10 minutes. Obviously inconclusive as to whether just the alcohol or the type of drink or both.

Others have some smallish quantities and are ok.

Probably everybody needs to experiment on their own, as everybody's body is different. I am trying moderate quantity. Even before I was officially diagnosed (like almost a year before) I swear I must have caused a short burst of AF on a New Years eve., when I had WAY too much to drink. It was a rough night trying to sleep, but I didn't know what was going on.

Whilst I agree that alcohol does not cause AF, for me even a sip certainly triggered an episode, when I had PAF, red wine was the worst offender.

I had 2 RF ablations, Nov 2013 & Mar 2014 and have been AF free since then. Alcohol now does not affect me. Make what you will...........

That is interesting about the red wine, because I take resveratrol tablets, equivalent to 5 bottles of wine daily. Hope that has not been causing mine!!!

Hi....where do you live in Florida? Not too often I see people in USA on this forum never mind Florida....I live in Jupiter.........

Ft. Pierce! Just a stone's throw away.

Wow! Amazing. Maybe we meet for caffeine free tea someday?!

You may also like...