AF Association
13,563 members16,447 posts

Warfarin and what to take for a head cold

I am wary of all non prescribed medication interfering with the warfarin I take. However, I have a head cold and don't know if I should ignore it or take something. Advice please. Incidentally, I am also on penicillin for an abscess.

Thank you

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Dml

My Mother used to tell me, treat a cold and it goes in a fortnight, leave it alone and it goes in two weeks.

But if you are struggling go and see a pharmacist they are the best to advise you what you can take and what not. Many cold "cures" contain aspirin so be careful.

Be well

Ian

1 like

Thanks for advice

dml

Paracetemol if fine. Never anything with ibuprophen and avoid cold remedies with decongestion remedies s some of these affect heart rhythms.

Bob

2 likes

Thanks BobB.

I have a bottle of Boots own honey/lemon/ glycerin and was going to take some as the ingredients list looks innocent.

I did look in the medicine cabinet and saw we have a Boots own Lemsip (and it's in date) but as it contained paracetamol I put it back as I thought paracetamol is a no no. Am I wrong?

Regards

dml

You need to have an INR test to check if the anti-biotics have affected your levels.

Thanks. As luck would have it I finish the penicillin on Monday next and have a pre-booked INR on Wednesday. So a careful check on Vitamin K intake and I should be ok. In any case my head cold is feeling a lot better.

dml

For future reference paracetamol is fine

Eileen

Thank you for your reassurance. I imagine there must be a maximum number you can take in a day ~ 8 I would guess Personally, I try and avoid all non prescription drugs.

dml

Local honey in warm water....

Thanks. I wonder where I can but local honey ~ Google will no doubt advise.

dml

You may also like...