Perhaps try estrogen patches if CRPC ... - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer

17,297 members21,239 posts

Perhaps try estrogen patches if CRPC or desensitized to advanced anti-androgens?

smurtaw profile image
9 Replies

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

spandidos-publications.com/...

9 Replies
pjoshea13 profile image
pjoshea13

I am using oral DES, which was standard treatment for decades before Lupron.

Yes, there is a risk of unwanted coagulation, but nattokinase eliminates that. I check D-dimer periodically.

DES is cheap - <$50 for 90 day supply.

DES is synthetic, but is recognized as an estradiol equivalent for bone health.

DES seems to have ab anti-PCa property unrelated to its effect on testosterone [T]. Indeed, I know of two men using low-dose DES where T is unaffected. Both men have fairly high T for their ages. If only ...

-Patrick

smurtaw profile image
smurtaw in reply to pjoshea13

Does DES have anti-PCa properties that patches don't?

pjoshea13 profile image
pjoshea13 in reply to smurtaw

"DES has at least three mechanisms of action in the treatment of prostate cancer in men.[66] It suppresses gonadal androgen production and hence circulating androgen levels due to its antigonadotropic effects; it stimulates hepatic sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) production, thereby increasing circulating levels of SHBG and decreasing the free fraction of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the circulation; ...

"... and it may have direct cytotoxic effects in the testes and prostate gland.[66] ...

"DES has also been found to decrease DNA synthesis at high doses."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieth...

-Patrick

kainasar profile image
kainasar in reply to pjoshea13

Interesting, where would one buy the medication? thanks.

smurtaw profile image
smurtaw

A petmed site? Or can an NMD get it - maybe compounded? My NMD gets me all sorts of stuff.

pjoshea13 profile image
pjoshea13 in reply to smurtaw

A compounding pharmacy.

Here in western NC, the compounding pharmacy haven't been able to obtain the powder for at least 5 years, but CareFirst in NJ has a different source. You need a script.

-Patrick

dhccpa profile image
dhccpa

Yes, a comment or two on suggested sourcing would be nice.

smurtaw profile image
smurtaw in reply to dhccpa

The only things I found for oral DES are pet med sites and research labs (they charge $1000s of dollars).

Estrogen patches (e.g. Climara) can be obtained from your local pharmacy if you have a script. You can get a month's supply of 0.1 mg/day patches for about $20 through goodrx.

dhccpa profile image
dhccpa in reply to smurtaw

Thanks. I've had a hard time finding a flexible doc in Daytona area. If anyone knows of one, please pass it on.

You may also like...