Try A Natural Approach For Depression - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer
8,135 members8,756 posts

Try A Natural Approach For Depression

This is in following, a post by Dino24, and others seeking answers for treating their depression. Lots of drugs were suggested by users of them, in the Dino24 thread. I understand very well, as I was not a happy camper, upon my original DX, of Pca, and a cancer that was very rare, and very aggressive.

The Amino Acids 5-Hydroxytryptophan[5-HTP] and L-Tryptophan are precursors of Serotonin. Serotonin is related to anxiety, depression, and aggression. These Amino Acids alone or with others below, act as Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors, and can for some replace Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil.

5-HTP is generally recommended over L-Tryptophan because it crosses the Blood-Brain Barrier at a higher rate, and is converted into Serotonin more efficiently, than L-Tryptophan; and has a more pronounced antidepressant effect.

L-Glycine has a known calming effect on the brain. And the amino acid L-Theanine, discovered in Tea, and originally Synthesized by yours truly and published in 1966, is a calming neurotransmitter.

Personally I prefer L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP---> 500 mgs/3 times a day. Not prescribing, just a preference for me. There is a product, that I believe is called Amino Sleep, that promotes balanced sleep. So if done right, you can have Natural antidepressants on board during the day, and Natural help for sleep at night. Alternative Medical MD's or Doctors of Naturopathy [should be consulted], for the truly un-informed. And yet there are others that will just say the hell with it, and take their CBD, or THC, or smoke a Joint. Hope this helps. Many do not really need the drugs, unless, there is [significant depression], and then the fastest way to first base, is one of the popular antidepressants.

Nalakrats

29 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Nala,

As you know, I hit bottom, the anxiety and depression took over my world. Then insomnia settled in, just to pour gasoline on my fire. I did took your advice with some of the supplements, Vitamin d3 (5000 IU), Melatonin (5mg) and L-Arginine (2110mg), yes!

I'm now a born again "human" enjoying life, the other factor was the brain. Got back into my work, restarted my passion, now the brain is very busy and often not notice the hot flashes.

Love you brother,

George

8 likes

That’s remarkable George.... keep truckin buddy. 😂😴..

2 likes

Thanks for the post. I've used 5-HTP and it works well for mild depression and for sleep. I brought some home and my wife tried it. She has used it ever since at night before bed.

I've also had really good depression relief from Sativa strains of cannabis or hybrid strains that aren't too "indica heavy". You just need a little. I don't use enough to get stoned, just enough to lift me out of it.

9 likes

Sativa yes preferred for depression, and Indica for pain.

Nalakrats

4 likes

I also really like the hybrids, they provide both. The Sativa part is first and then you get the body relaxing aspects of the indica after, just in time for bed. I remember waking up and feeling like my entire body was being messaged. Talk about a great night's sleep!

5 likes

What State do you live in?

Nalakrats

1 like

California. We have medical and "recreational". I think I'll recreate today! What a joke.

I can't believe people are still going to jail for that when alcohol, cigarettes, and "legal" opioids kill so many people. What a F*d up world we live in.

8 likes

👏🏼

3 likes

I have avoided Texas for 40 years.

1 like

Thank you for this - especially the part about l-theanine.

I'm a huge fan of it and my best friend's husband who is a psychiatrist said that he suggests it to many of his patients. So now we know who to thank!

3 likes

Over 50 years ago---but it took into the early 2,000's when the value of it was determined. When I did my work it was to get enough pure Theanine to study. I left Lipton Tea Research shortly after, in 1968---to continue my career into other things.

Nalakrats

7 likes

5HTP and Melatonin didn't help me in the past, but I am using Passion flower capsules (solary) 350 mg X 2 with Lavender capsule 400 mg X1 plus Motherwort capsule 400 mg X1 and Valerian 500 mg X1.

So I take all these total 5 capsules before bed time and have a good sleep and next day I feel so relaxed with clear thinking and better mood!

I am not on ATD yet and will start Firmagon injections with SRT soon and to be honest I am so worried about how to deal with hot flashes....

My job needs meeting with other managers at work so will try exercise and L Arginine, but not sure what else will help for the hot flashes, cognition and mood alteration!

2 likes

You have a good program--the Lavender, and Valerian Root, are very key.

Nalakrats

3 likes

Ralph, I am on Lupron for 4 months now. I’m 53 and meet with external people frequently. I get hot flashes but almost exclusively at night. My weight is really good and I exercise, both of which I am told benefit me against hot flashes. Good luck!

1 like

Thanks JavaMan,

Yes exercise, plant based / healthy diet with meditation are really good for any one specially PCa people on ADT. For fatigue I believe that Nalakrats agree with Ginseng (American or Wisconsin ginseng) 2000 mg daily plus L-Arginine 1000 mg two or three times daily.

As for Tall_Allen he also agree that if hot flashes are untolerable we can use prescription of "Venlafaxine" (Effexor) that will help improving mood changes too caused by ADT.

2 likes

For what it's worth, I had about one hot flash per hour, night and day, lasting about one minute each. Your mileage may vary. If you work in an air conditioned building, that will help a lot. I don't think the flashes will turn out to be too much of a problem in meetings.

Think of each hot flash as evidence that the drugs are working against your tumors.

Good luck with it.

3 likes

Motherwort? That’s cool . Anything in the storm ..

1 like

Chocolate chip ice cream (two scoops)...

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Sunday 06/02/2019 4:50 PM DST

3 likes

I rubbed the two scoops all over my body. You are right. Works fantastically!

1 like

ugotme giggling again..... thanks

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Monday 06/03/2019 4:47 PM DST

1 like

😂🤣😁😂🤣😁

Nice analysis..Nala..5 HTP is raw material to produce Serotonin which calm the mind and lifts mood. Valerian root increases GABA in brain and reduces anxiety.

Also, meditation about what is truly meaningful. With or without prostate cancer, we are all destined to die..Cancer diagnosis brings us very close to this ultimate reality of life and creates maturity and depth in each day of our life. That awareness and understanding can be very liberating.

3 likes

Thanks! I was going to add GABA, and Valerian Root, but did not want to leave too many options on the table.

Nalakrats

1 like

Well said!

Thanks

These can be beneficial to folks regardless of pca, correct? This is what you would do if you were stressed and having difficulty sleeping whether with cancer or not?

2 likes

Yes.

Nalakrats

2 likes

Thanks!

1 like

Sam-E has helped me with moods plus joint and muscle pain .. also hono pure is another mood enhancer that I use. THC I’ve use daily since dx. Don’t wish to do without any of these home cures. ⭐️

1 like

You may also like...