CAN RADIATION AND CHEMO BE INTERFERED... - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer
8,155 members8,797 posts

CAN RADIATION AND CHEMO BE INTERFERED WITH BY THE USE OF NUTRIENTS OR SUPPLEMENTS?

The RO or MO may tell a patient do not take any of your supplements. Those that ask why, are told some gobbiddy-goop about ROS[Reactive Oxygen Species]. Which is basically a compound or structure that is a free radical, having a negative ion that is loose, looking to attach to something, and that could be dangerous. Anti-Oxidants, and certain Anti-Inflammatory supplements will go after and neutralize, free radicals. Your body has a large store of Glutathione, and its job is to be a free radical scavenger. Hells Bells, cancer cells unto themselves can be classified as free radicals. They now, it has been determined to have a negative electrical side.

When talking about free radicals, are these doctors even educated in free radical chemistry of the body. Hell no! They maybe have read some papers, or they were told in Medical school, without having one class on Free Radical Chemistry of the Body. So they orally cite something they do not know and have not read the hundreds of papers supporting the use of Nutrients during Radiation or Chemo. Besides oxygen free radicals, does the group here or anywhere discuss the other free radicals besides the lonely oxygen looking to attach to something? How about the Peroxides, the Superoxides, the Benzones, the Hydroxyl, the Hydrochlorous.

I never hear anyone speak of the RNS[Reactive Nitrogen Species]. which include Nitric Oxide, Peroxynitrate, and other Nitrates. Or How about RSS[Reactive Species Silica]---SiO2, SiO3---these are associated with Fibrosis and damage to tendons and ligaments.

A lady was denied cisplatin if she did not stop her Vitamin E. She complied and wound up with painful peripheral neuropathy of the hands. Vitamin E is well known to those who study nutrition with Chemo, or Radiation, to off-set neuropathy from Chemo. This lady's neuropathy is now irreversible.

So this is not a take one side or the other post. NUTRIENTS ENHANCE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF OVERALL MEDICAL THERAPY AGAINST CANCER WHILE REDUCING TOXICITY.

Most of the 10,000 Oncologists, are under the thinking that antioxidant nutrients will reduce effectiveness of radiation and chemo. But there is more evidence to the contrary. These same Doctors will often prescribe Mesna, a pharmaceutical version of Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Well, Hells Bells again, are these not antioxidants.

Antioxidants can offset toxic side effects of nausea, gastro intestinal harm, peripheral neuropathy, and suppression of red,white, and platelet cell production. Cutting these off, does not kill cancer cells.

How about BIRM, where thousands of Chemo and Radiation patients being treated in Ecuador report almost no side effects, while using BIRM. Many report no loss of hair during Chemo. I assume this extract probably has a few antioxidant compounds in it.

I will do a Part 2. discussing Nutrients Patients might want to consider. They will be Vit. K, Vit. C, Vit. E, Vit A and Beta Carotene, Niacin, Fish Oil, Selenium, Carnitine, Quercetin, and Ginseng, and what role they play to benefit the quality outcome of the attack on the body by Radiation and Chemo, while killing cancer cells.

My conclusion, is that Oncologists should work with Nutritionists, as they design treatment modalities. We do not want irreversible neuropathy to be considered a good outcome when using Chemo.

Nalakrats

63 Replies
oldestnewest

Thank you for this!! Looking forward to more.

2 likes

Thank you! I feel fortunate that my husband's Oncologist was fine with me supplementing during chemo. And my husband suffered almost zero side effects except loss of some body hair. And the chemo beat the Pca back.

4 likes

Both can work together. Lets not hurt the host with the treatment, by denying nutrients.

Nalakrats

5 likes

Totally agree.

2 likes

Great information. I am a firm believer in supplements. Thank you for sharing. Kimberly

2 likes

The problem is they can't know the positive or negative effect of any particular supplement, without clinical trials.

Sometimes they can make an educated guess, but that's it.

Personally, if I am undergoing treatment, I don't want any more or less supplements than what I believe the patients in the original trial were taking.

I got a plan that calls for radiation/chemo next October, and there is no. way. my supps will be discontinued. In fact, while patrolling the Ecuadorian/Peruvian border, I was introduced to "Sangre de Arbol" by my counterpart. Have looked for it here, but the closest I've come is sangre de grado/drago. Could be the same or similar, but I doubt it. Has high antioxidant value, and is quite the panacea down South. Know where I can get it?

Nous Defions

Charlie

2 likes

Call 408-612-4508---ask for Fernanda--Tell her Dr. Nalakrats recommended you call. Ask her if she knows. If not knowing, ask her to Communicate with Dr. Cevallos and ask him down in Ecuador. He should know for sure, how to obtain. If this does not work, I have a Broker Friend in NYC, who handles exotic materials from Peru.

Nalakrats

4 likes

Will do, & thanks again.

Nous Defions

2 likes

It's somewhat dated, but Dr. Blaylock, a neurosurgeon who used clinical observation coupled with knowledge of functional medicine to investigate the role of vitamins and supplements, wrote an excellent book: Natural Strategies For Cancer Patients.

A lot has been learned since its publication in 2003 - but not by the majority of oncologists. They have a saying in Cambridge: You can tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him much.

The strategies outlined by Dr. Blaylock in preparing for, undergoing, and recovering from radiation, surgery, and chemo are still valid today. I strongly recommend this book to anyone confronting harsh cancer treatments. Even if, especially if, your oncologist tells you it won't be harsh.

1 like

I have not read it--but know of it--maybe I can add it to my to read list. Thanks.

Nalakrats

1 like

We have found his information useful also, hubby was looking for cause of back pain, found to have elevated PSA in search, PSA of 2800! March 2018 As an RN I knew we were going to need help, began extensive reading. His suggestions were begun while doing the confirmed dx. Ins auth etc took two months for bone biopsy confirm, doing the nutrients til then knocked PSA down to 1700; now on Lupron, Xgeva, and PSA now 74, with a continual downtrend, and good QOL, was able to keep working in his own HVAC business at a lighter load. Recently had to have a hernia repair, so recup in process. MO and second opinion at Fox Chase have both supported full list of supplements. No surgery was done due to bone scan showing Many Mets. So far so good. Also did a overhaul of diet with focus on total organic, mainly plant based, had to add beef occaisionally due to low hemoglobin not helped enough with vegetarian foods. Back up in range with 1-2 x a month. Breakfast is heavy on veggie smoothies, and lots of green teas. And BIRM as suggested here, not on Blaylock list. Added CBD , no THC in NJ

Focusing on thriving - see also Dr. Geo book and blogs for his positive input

You can get Desiccated Liver Tablets, to support the Beef intake, or reduce the intake.

Must be Argentina based. No hormones used there.

Nalakrats

"Focusing on thriving" Yes! "Cancer survivor" is fashionable, but in my mind I see someone desperately clinging to a piece of flotsam in the middle of the stormy sea.

I'm a cancer thriver. I'm in the best health of my life because of this disease. Diet, stress, weight, BP, exercise, everything is better because the cancer made me pay attention to what is truly important.

2 likes

You are quite right that doctors don't talk to each other and that nutrition plays a big part in maintaining good health or coping with disease. My wife is pre-diabetic and she had a hell of a time getting to talk to a nutritionist.

"if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid." If your supplement/alternative is working for you, you would be dumb not to continue no matter what anyone says.

The great physicist, Nils Bohr, had a horseshoe nailed above his door. One of his colleagues, seeing it, commented "Nils, you don't really believe that silly superstition, do you?"

Nils replied "Of course I don't believe it. But i understand it works even if you don't believe it.'

3 likes

Wow! Now I'm really freaked out. Time to burn a bad one and put the Stones on my turntable.

2 likes

Better to eat it than smoke it. Nutritionally better.

Nalakrats

1 like

As long as you decarboxylate it first......

Yes I know--not putting out methods, which may be illegal in certain States. I first decarboxed. in 1966. I have a bit of knowledge on this.

Nalakrats

I recommend people use a dry herb vaporizer, a pen is fine as long as you can set the temp within a range of 200 - 450F. CBD is going to be found around 350 - 360F and THC much lower, around 240 - 260F, and one can get both by doing two passes, one at each temp.

Even better is the fine German engineering of the Volcano dry herb vapor console that looks like an East German space ship circa 1954 and costs a lot more, but works great. Anyway, save the residue after vaporizing, which should be brownish but not burnt, and when one has at least 3 TBS of the stuff, grind it to a floury powder and mix with any standard brownie mix (even better if you use hemp oil as the fat) and then cook and eat them.

IMO best is to cook the longer option, for 52 min or so for the very best decarboxylation (which was already partially completed in the vaporizer but this finishes off whatever is left that needs doing in the process). Each batch should make 24 single servings, or for lightweights a half a brownie. If just CBD, as with industrial hemp, it will take about 10 minutes to take effect, but THC consumed in a brownie will take anywhere from 30 min to a much more likely 2 hours to take effect and then last for 4 to 6 hours. Obviously, one should never operate machinery or cars or do anything more dangerous than sit on a couch during that time if one took the THC option. Ideal is to have a brownie 2 hours before bedtime.

This method, vaporize then make brownies, it's the safest approach I know, aside from cannabutter.

PS you got me beat by 3 years, old timer.

Love your Chemistry, friend.

Nalakrats

Can’t get me no ...

1 like

Just an FYI for those on Metformin and considering chemo, I asked my MO about Metformin again last week just because there is so much anecdotal evidence and research beginning to suggest its benefits. He said "we don't prescribe it as we think there is a lot of bias in the publications and, in fact, we are beginning to see data that suggest Metformin interferes with chemo." I don't know anything more that that. I am not on Metformin (yet) and not doing chemo. Just adding to the supplements discussion here.

2 likes

If you had diabetes would the Doctor again suggest not to take it.

Nalakrats

2 likes

Don’t know.

Well I do! 50 years of this--I should have learned something.

Nalakrats

3 likes

I am taking Metformin 500 mg twice daily because of my diabetes since 10 years. Strange thing happened when I added daily vitamin D 5000 mg and C 1000 mg to my suppliments 2017 because of PC. My HbA1c went down from 6.5 to 5.4 and my primary physician wondering what happen? I thought that PC cells are consuming my blood sugar so it stays normal? But most likely is vitamin D high dose effect! Any study on this Nalakrats?

1 like

There's quite a bit of study on Vitamin D and hypertension. Searching pubmed with the term ("vitamin d" hypertension ) produces nearly 2000 hits.

One study on essential hypertension and Vitamin D wrote

In this article, we critically analyze clinical findings on the effect of vitamin D on blood pressure, combined with progress in molecular mechanisms. We find that vitamin D repletion exerts a clinically significant antihypertensive effect in vitamin D-deficient EH patients. Of note, a few trials reported no antihypertensive effect from vitamin D due to suboptimal study design. Short-term vitamin D supplementation has no effect on blood pressure in normotensive subjects. This could explain the mixed results and may provide a theoretical basis for future trials to identify beneficial effects of vitamin D in intervention for EH.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/264...

5,000 IU per day isn't a particularly large dose. This is a good time of year to get your 25(OH)D or 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood test. You can order them online yourself at places like ultralabtests.com. Healthy adults look for 40-60 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml). Some doctors advise higher levels for cancer patients, 60-100 ng/ml. The risk of toxicity from too much is quite low.

WOW, and I thought 5000 IU vitamin D is high. My VD level at time of PC diagnosis was low 29,000 and so low levels did increase my risk to get this lousy PC. After 6 months if daily vitamin D3 5000 IU my blood level went up to 59,000 which is still not high enough I think...

I was taking Metformin for DM type 2 for 10 years, yet my HbA1c was between 6-6.5 and since started VD it is ranging 5.4-5.6 (normal non diabetic level).

Should I add Berberine to my suppliments to slow down PSA doubling time? What is the daily dose?

Nalakrats you are the expert please advise.

Thanks

I think you must be using units of ng/L instead of ng/ml. So 59,000 ng/L = 59 ng/ml, near the top of the range recommended for healthy adults (40-60) and near the bottom of the range for cancer patients (60-100).

The half life of circulating vitamin D (25‑OH) is 2‑3 weeks, so you can take 5,000 IU per day or 35,000 IU once a week and get pretty much the same results.

You could increase your supplementation to raise D levels, or now that the sun is getting stronger you could expose your skin to the sun once or twice a week, just long enough to have a slight darkening or reddening the next day. That produces about 20,000 IU in your skin, but there's virtually zero chance of producing too much Vit D with sun exposure.

I double checked my vitamin D level results: It was 29.4 ng/mL (low) before PC diagnosis dated 02/24/2017, and 56.9 ng/mL (6 months after taking vitamin D 5000 IU/day).

In the lab report it says the normal (reference range) level is between (30.0 ng/mL to 100.0 ng/mL)

So as far as I don't reach the upper level I should be safe form vitamin D toxicity!

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Metformin is obvious, but addition of healthy supplements could be the blame of your success---as to papers I know of none. Do not have time to search it. You may be able to search it.

Nalakrats

My MO is a top researcher in pre-clinical drug development and drug evaluation. No doubt he probably does not prescribe Metformin because there are not enough clinical data to support its use. He, and perhaps the institution he works within, have guidelines that most likely depend on on phase 3 trials and FDA approvals so even though I think Metformin might be beneficial, I respect his answer. I am still considering adding Metformin because the anecdotal data are compelling.

On the other hand, if somebody of his caliber said they believe Metformin is not advisable during chemo, I would probably not take Metformin during chemo. Just sayin' and putting it out there in the spirit of sharing information that some may find useful.

You should ask him to provide his research papers that support his decisions. I usually get silence, on these subjects. I would follow your doctor, but consider after Chemo to consider Metformin, as by itself, I do not see an extra benefit while on Chemo, we see the benefit after, or before, to knock down the aggressiveness, of BCR cancer cells, and to keep this aggressiveness down after Chemo.

Nalakrats.

The only supplement that I am aware of regarding radiation therapy, and has a warning on the label is UltraSoy by Life Extension because of the high levels of genistein... I take grapeseed extract, zinc citrate, 5 Loxin inhibitor, curcumin with ginger, D3, and K-2... The fact that D3 , omega 3 and curcumin are in current clinical trial says something--see below:

cancer.gov/about-cancer/tre...

The fact that other supplements are also in trials...muscadine plus and chitosan...says that the medical community has some belief that some of these will prove efficacious...

All the best,

Fish

Nalakrats informed us that "My conclusion, is that Oncologists should work with Nutritionists, as they design treatment modalities."

If I had $1.00 for all the health chemicals and potions and diet ideas I could be involved with, I'd be wealthy.

I have heard old nurses say don't use antioxidants when getting RT cope better and you need to weaken you body to make RT more effective.

Other folks I say use every possible vitamin and health stuff you can find. One man I know is trying to get me to buy products from ASEA because he said he has many testimonials from his customers who say that it cures cancer. I can't believe a single word of the mountain of promotional sales talk about all this stuff and when I ask ppl to prove their claims they just hit me with more sales talk.

I eat a large amount of raw green vegies, and rarely eat meat and have a low calorie diet and at 71, and 184cm I maintain a weight of 83Kg, waist 95cm, I do plenty exercise, and maybe I get enough anti oxidants. If you have more than your body can absorb, it all just goes down the toilet, but you see yourself as doing something to help yourself, but I doubt it makes much difference to the cancer.

I am having Lu177, had No 3 shot 1 week ago, but I have a sore right hip so tomorrow I see a radiation planning nurse about getting 20 Grey of EBRT to part of pelvis and femur because its become painful. The radiation doc said that if the cancer in pelvis and hip can be stopped, they'd let me have a hip joint if it is still painful because there is some arthritis there.

Doc giving Lu177 says I might need DNA analysis, thinks I have Brca2 gene, maybe I need PARP inhibitor and wants me back on Zytiga, so there are a pile of medical appointments but I remain cheerful and accepting of everything they are offering me.

I really don't think I could make any difference if I ate better, took more vitamin pills or bottles of snake oil. I tried apricot kernels for a year, cannabis cbd oil for 8 months, ppl SCREAMED online how it all worked for them but my Psa did not go down with these things, so afaiac, I have ZERO confidence that alternatives work. I had ppl tell me I should starve, put my body into ketosis existence, because they said Pca wants lots of carbs, so I should reduce blood glucose and starve Pca to its death. But Pca grows slowly, and needs a very tiny amount of blood sugar to grow well, so the only way to starve the cancer to its death is to starve yourself to death.

My Lu177 doc wants me back on my bicycle asap, but despite what is planned for me and what is already going to be done, the Pca may well march on and cripple me and then riddle me with pain and discomfort and then kill me.

But I have had a good 9.5 years since diagnosis. Total cost of treatments paid by myself and Medicare could be $150,000+, and without that, I would have died 6 years ago, so I feel thankful to still be alive.

Each day alive, and each waitress and nurse I see all get more beautiful as my time runs out.....

Patrick Turner

3 likes

Life is good

Well lets keep you around another 15 years.

Nalakrats

You are so right. I have no interest in sex whatsoever. Thank you Lupron. But a pretty face still turns my head.

1 like

Mine too!

Nalakrats

1 like

Too much alcohol used to bring out the beautiful women but there was a country song that explained it "I never went to bed with an ugly woman but I woke up with quite a few."

Good Luck, Good Health and Humor.

j-o-h-n Wednesday 03/06/2019 6:18 PM EST

Been there and understand.

Nalakrats

Vit E will prevent neuropathy?

Tests show that taking before chemo, during chemo and after can reduce the effects of Neuropathy. It is not a 100 %, but there is enough data for it, We also know BIRM also puts a hold on Neuropathy, while on Chemo, again before, during, and after.

Nalakrats

Thx!

Specifically against radiation damage, which supplements could be of aid?

I wrote this because of you, and your ebb and flow of using not using supplements. All are good, that I mentioned.

Nalakrats

Ok! Imagine we were sent to the alternative medicine session of the hospital to check that, quite curious what they say. But already not bad to have this "opening" mind in a Hospital, trying to get oncologist, radiologist, cardiologist AND natural therapy on the same boat!

For now they just spoke about not taking St. John's Wort ;-))

Good luck with that.

Nalakrats

Great info Nal, thank you.

Good advice. However when I underwent a six month clinical trial, I was told absolutely no supplements. The reason, possible skewed trail results. In fact I had to give a list of any before I started and when I stopped.....

GD

And what controls did they place on the food you ate? There's nutrients in most foods. Wouldn't that also result in possible skewed trial results?

3 likes

Dairy products are the only group that I remember.

GD

There was a recent discussion here about the use of BIRM 7X. I sent an email to the recommended address given to get information on obtaining the product and dosage. This was a couple of weeks ago and I got no reply.

Can you help with this information?

Hugh

California time---call 408-612-4508, ask for Fernanda. Tell her Dr. Nalakrats asked that you call. Start with Her. She represents the Company in the USA. You can obtain at this number. There is a Web Site. But why wait. Fernanda, is great! Speaks perfect English.

Nalakrats

Thanks a bunch

Still, chocolate chip ice cream (two scoops)...

Good Luck, Good Health and Humor.

j-o-h-n Wednesday 03/06/2019 6:21 PM EST

Love this ❤️

Sheri (cheerleader for you all now)

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Nalakrats

Definitely staying on here as I do have interest in all these insights and information as a precaution for my son, who may be affected by this disease one day also.

And I so love this forum and the great friends and relationships acquired through it.

Keep up the excellent research you do!

Sheri (cheerleader for you all now)

I’m with FCoffey. Our sups are food. Our creator made our bodies to heal, and they still will do that still under great duress. It is not another person that heals, only can do some clumsy human attempts to remove or stop the disease. It amazes me that in our progressive society it isn’t standard of care in medicine to strengthen the bodies systems as part of the overall treatment. THEN IT REALLY WOULD RESEMBLE ACTUAL THERAPY. It angers me the way ‘Therapy’ is used. Androgen deprivation therapy, radiation therapy, chemo therapy. Nothing therapeutic about it. It should be replaced with the ‘destruction’. Then it would be ADD. 🤣 whickcis more accurate in a number of ways...

Thanks Nal for posting this. ❤️

Thank you so much for your informative posts. My husband is on Lupron and will begin RT in 2 months. I have a lot of research to do before then. He has been on COQ10 200 mg since he has been on statins for over 20 years and he had heart bypass 12 years ago. I am not comfortable with him stopping this anti-oxidant when he starts RT. Since his PC diagnosis he is on Burdock Root Complex from Standard Process. I would greatly appreciate your comments. Thank you for this forum!

You may also like...