Advanced Prostate Cancer
7,760 members8,034 posts

Plant based protein powder question

Does anyone know of a plant based protein powder that tastes good? Was using a caseine/whey based product and wanted to totally eliminate dairy, but the stuff I bought (garden of life) tastes abysmal. Put it in my almond milk and realized that getting my protein just got a whole lot tougher. Appreciate any input....

Fish

27 Replies
oldestnewest

Why drive yourself crazy, do what us body builders use---> Muscletech's Whey Isolate Chocolate Flavored Protein Powder. One scoop equals 32 grams of protein. And it tastes good. Can put it in your Almond milk--or other fluid, like POM.

Nalakrats

1 like

Nal: Is this it?

MuscleTech Premium 100% Whey Protein Isolate, Deluxe Chocolate

Trying to paste a link or image here but can't figure that out.

Lot of Muscletech product options.

Thx, Leo

Yep that is what my label says, right in front of me!

Nalakrats

Thanks

Thanks...I am trying to go vegan 3 days a week and no dairy...if I can't find something that tastes good, then maybe I'll use this 1x/ day....this disease is bad enough, so why sacrifice taste? Garden of life in almond milk is like pea milk with a hint of chocolate...I like chocolate so why suffer needlessly....

1 like

You are making too much of a deal about the little Dairy Component in Whey Isolate Protein. It is the Dairy Fat you want to avoid not the protein---you are trying to cut a fly in half with a saber sword.

Nalakrats

I use a light saber, myself....I get your point....

Nutritionally whey is the best type of protein. So going to plant means you will be losing something. You don't need that much protein if you aren't a weight lifter, and maybe even if you are one.

I had you same problem and my solution was to just use less protein powder. You shouldn't be using it for your sole source of protein any way.

1 like

Nope, I eat chicken and fish--3-4 days per week, nuts, almond butter, beans and other sources--rest of week

I will use whey and maybe less as advised...I just want it to taste good...I refuse to totally sacrifice taste for this disease....bad enough I gave up bourbon and premium cigars....

It tastes a whole lot better when you lighten up on the quantity.

By the way, all these protein supplements tend to have arsenic and other metals in them. There is an online study of like 100 brands where they tested for that. I think it was maybe published in association with Consumers Reports. I would check it out before settling on a brand. There were a lot of good bad brands and a few good ones.

I ended up getting an expensive European brand that uses grass fed cow milk. I trust European food production more than US. LOL

Thanks...Will look at the reports...

If you find that link, perhaps you might consider posting it here.

I should have saved it when I found it, but failed to do so. I think they tested something like 120 different brands.

2 likes

Vega (can get it at Costco,Walmart,etc.) is pea protein based. Tastes good

2 likes

Thanks....

Garden of life is like drinking pea milk...tastes bad...

I saw powdered peanut butter at Costco. Haven't tried it.

1 like

Swanson health products has goat whey protein and organic pea protein I use for cream soups

1 like

Thanks... another choice...

North Coast Naturals Vege Pro-7 tastes great, chocolate and vanilla flavors.

1 like

Thanks....Garden of life tastes like I got a mouthful of peas when I drink it...my previous powder was whey/caseine and tasted great....

I bought one by Vega, Organic protein, which also has greens and antioxidants. It tastes good to me.

Best

1 like

Someone else advised Vega...will try it...pitching garden of life....taste of putrification...

1 like

Jack daniels in a powdered concentrated form...

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Wednesday 01/16/2019 5:52 PM EST

1 like

Didn't know Jack had moved into the protein powder arena....bet it mixes up nice in a coke...

HIC...

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Wednesday 01/16/2019 6:39 PM EST

1 like

I use Organic Super Protein from Touch Stone Essentials. thegoodinside.com

Free of Soy, Gluten, Vegan etc etc. I also have used the product Nalakrats recommended. Both are acceptable in my humble opinion. I use it after every workout.

Peace.

1 like

You may also like...