Advanced Prostate Cancer
7,141 members7,128 posts

Prostate Cancer Patient Survey

Dear all,

I am working on a group project for a class to gather opinions from patients with prostate cancer regarding treatment, follow-up care, and prostate cancer surveillance. The goal of the project is to better understand how current prostate cancer patients are monitored and followed-up after their treatment.

We created a prostate cancer patient survey (see link below). This patient survey gives people a chance to voice their opinions and ideas for improving their follow-up care and prostate cancer surveillance.

The responses we collect from patients will be anonymous.

Prostate Cancer Patient Survey:

goo.gl/forms/7pnOeyczKCXI0bR13

Your help and willingness to take the survey is greatly appreciated!

Thank you~

10 Replies
oldestnewest

What educational or research institution is sponsoring this study? Please show a link to the faculty or administration group that is reviewing and monitoring your efforts under the Human Subjects guidelines?

3 likes

Hi BerkshireBear, we are doing a group project for a class we are taking at BU. This project is not funded by or done under any faculty. The information we gather will be presented at our final presentation at the end of the class.

1 like

I echo BerkshireBear's comments. The introduction to the survey says you are Boston University students, but nothing about approval from the human subjects review board (or IRB as the group is often called) to conduct the survey. That approval would specify that you include a consent form at the beginning of the survey, which also would have the name and contact person of both the principle researcher (you or, more likely, your professor) as well as the review board chair's name and contact information.

Trust is essential to getting responses to such a survey. Following the human subjects guidelines will go a long way toward engendering that.

1 like

Hi dogstar1, meanwhile we are affiliated with a university, we are not doing this project under a faculty. There is not a sponsor nor a faculty sponsor behind our project. It is a class project initiated by us where we do our due diligence to gather first-hand information and find out how prostate cancer patients are followed up and monitored for relapse rather than just relying on the internet resources. We are not studying a drug, medical device, or biologic. We do not receive funding from anyone. And we do not plan on publishing our results in a journal. We will present our data in the final presentation at the end of class. Responses are voluntary and anonymous.

At the risk of being pedantic (I am a faculty member, so probably cannot escape that <grin>), here are some additional considerations.

1. Fair enough. Some universities do not consider a survey that is used solely for a class project, with no publication intended, to be "research" and thus exempt it from the review board process.

2. Nevertheless, in requesting the help of others, it would be good to follow established research procedures -- since this assignment IS a research assignment.

3. In asking people to disclose very personal information, the survey sets up a norm of reciprocity. Make the first gesture. You identify BU in the survey intro, but we don't know the course, course level (undergrad? grad?) or the faculty member's name and contact information. There IS a faculty member involved and s/he should be willing to be associated with the work of students in his/her class.

4. Given that you are in Boston, the home of many hospitals, you might have better luck associating with one or two physicians and seeking approval to contact their patients -- though that might then involve the hospital's review board. With this survey, we do not know who you are, yet you are asking for quite personal, private information and reflection. Establishing that personal connection first, might get you the responses you are seeking.

1 like

I took your survey, but I highly suggest removing the last question. As you are simply a group of students, asking for peoples contact information should NOT happen. There is no guarantee that such information will not be shared or stolen.

1 like

Hi alephnull, thank you for your feedback. I have removed the contact info questions. We were thinking about reaching back out to people if we had further questions. But you do have a point.

1 like

I thought the survey was benign and wanted to help a student out. Good luck.

Thank you 8knots! We appreciate it!

to studentresearcher: Got any pretty young ladies involved with your survey? If so, please complete my survey "oldgizzerisstillaflirt.data". <===<<< Yankee fan.

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Thursday 11/08/2018 5:45 PM EDT

1 like

You may also like...