Advanced Prostate Cancer
7,108 members7,082 posts

Cycling with Advanced Prostate Cancer

Hi All just a quick question since my diagnosis I have avoided cycling but I now feel ready to get back in the saddle. Is this a wise move? Can it raise issues as I have not had my prostate removed. I’m on Zytiga and hormone therapy.

17 Replies
oldestnewest

I cycle every weekend. PCa patients should exercise.

1 like

It may affect your PSA, but it won't affect your prostate cancer. Just refrain for 2 days before a PSA test.

4 likes

I love cycling, but I can't sit on a normal seat, due to pain in the prostate area, so I invested in a spongy wonder. I had to order from Canada, but I'm very happy with it. See spongywonder.com

1 like

Thanks Paul I’m ordering a seat as soon as I finish typing. 👍

Awesome Ant, I think you'll love it.

1 like

I just did the Ride to Conquer Cancer over here in Perth this weekend. I managed to do 42km on my 'spongy wonder' bike seat. Not bad, doing 42% of the ride, after 3 days of chemo! The seat worked a treat. Cheers Paul.

2 likes

Wow Paul that’s inspirational especially 3 days after chemo! 👍

1 like

He was a globetrotter with the bicycle. I asked my doctor, I have significant bony problems.

He has not recommended it to me in case I have a fall.

I have opted to walk at the fastest pace I can. An average of 7.5 miles per day.

2 likes

I was diagnosed in July 2012 with a Gleason 9 PCa and mets to the bladder and pelvic lymph nodes. I was on ADT for 26 months and had external beam radiation. I have not had any cancer treatments for 4 years now and my PSA is stable at 0.2. I bike very extensively - over 2700 miles in each of 2016 and 2017 and slightly ahead of that pace this year. Go for it!

3 likes

Thanks for the advice. 👍

Great exercise and if you have no dizziness problems hop on and peddle to your hearts content.

I am a committed x bike rider. Rode one week after brachi and 65 miles on my birthday in Middle of radiation. I continue riding 20 miles daily. Seldom take day off. Try for 5000 to 6000 miles annually. Have riden age in miles at 66 and 67. Use recumbent Schwinn . While that may seem excessive and it does lead to some soreness , it is the gage to how I feel. While Dr says no riding before PSA I am not a good patient. I had brachi, hormone ( which caused weight gain and was stopped) and 26 radiation treatments. Psa now undetectable.

1 like

YES! Hubby has stage IV with mets all along his spine and gleason 9 and just did a double century last month and still rides! It's what's keeping him alive in two ways: he loves it - a mental "keeping him alive" - and it's healthy and good for him and helps keep his muscles strong and the rest of him healthy.

Thanks for the reply I’m really excited to get out there! I’ve been having really bad sciatica and I’m hoping this will ease the pain. I cycled a lot before my diagnosis but was a little hesitant to get back on the bike as I worried it could effect my PSA. 👍

1 like

To Apollo123,

Two wheeler or three wheeler?

Good Luck and Good Health.

j-o-h-n Tuesday 10/09/2018 6:05 PM EDT

A two wheeler? 👍

Round wheels or square ones?

Good Luck and Good Health.

j-o-h-n Monday 10/15/2018 1:44 PM EDT

You may also like...