Hi I'm new here and I've created this post for my husband Tony who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Dec 2017. He has a 3+4 Gleason score and his PSA has been steady at 6.4 (as of last week). He had surgery scheduled in March 2018 but decided to postpone it to June to explore alternative treatments. We look into brachytherapy, but the lack of options in the event brachy fails (hubby is 57) got us to reconsider that choice. So now my husband is considering doing hormone therapy as the FIRST option to lower his PSA and shrink the tumor (which is contained within the capsule). It is a short-term solution but the rationale for it is to delay surgery as far back as possible (rather than completely avoiding it). We are not sure if that strategy is sound but given how slow the disease progresses and aggressive culture of fear that pushes men under the knife, my husband has doubt about undergoing robotic surgery so soon. Although by June 2018, it would be 6 months of having been diagnosed. FYI, this is not active surveillance as he's looking into hormone therapy I'm not sure how sound this approach is but we are definitely looking for guidance. We live in LA by the way and my husband insurance is with Kaiser.
Thanks for reading!