Advanced Prostate Cancer
4,552 members4,401 posts

How to enhance the efficiency of Zytiga

Hello Friends

These two articles describe how to enhance the efficiency of abiraterone (Zytiga) with low fat meal ( diet).

1-

health.usnews.com/health-ca...

2-

healio.com/hematology-oncol...

So please don't take Zytiga with a cheese burger and large Fry, it wouldn't work (joke, don't answer).

Bruce

27 Replies
oldestnewest

They got it wrong, as the media often does. It says to take with a HIGH FAT meal in the study:

meetinglibrary.asco.org/rec...

2 likes

He's right, the study is Abi with a low fat meal.

uchicagomedicine.org/cancer...

You were quoting from 2014, not most recent. My husband tried the low fat protocol, and the empty stomach protocol, and neither worked. He's been taking 4 pills with a high fat breakfast for several months and his psa is now 3. 7, the lowest it's been in years.

1 like

Well, the University of Toronto trial was based on 111 men and tested a high fat meal vs fasting, while the University of Chicago trial was based on 72 men and tested a low fat meal vs fasting. No one tested a high fat meal vs a low fat meal. But since both resulted in blood levels using low-dose Zytiga that are equal to fasting and high-dose Zytiga, I guess it doesn't matter how much fat you consume with it, only that you consume some fat. So have the cheeseburger with bacon and fries or just have a protein bar - either would work fine. (I'd prefer the Happy Meal)

5 likes

As an aside, if boiled potatoes boost testosterone levels,and your on ADT; should they be eaten?

Rich

If you are achieving castrate levels of testosterone, don't worry about potatoes.

Thank you for the reply. Jansen Labs considers below 50 on the Testosterone blood test as castrate level; do you agree?

Rich

More recent studies show more benefit with T lower than 32. Lower yet is better IMO.

My testosterone got down to 16, then 22, then 27, 44, 49 then 34. All the while my PSA was decreasing; PSA now 3.4 No one could explain the mystery of increasing testosterone and declining PSA.

Rich

"Below 50" is the consensus definition of castrate level. But most doctors would like to see it below 30, and ideally, below 20. T levels fluctuate naturally (always take it in the morning before 10AM). If your T levels won't stay down, consider switching to Firmagon.

2 likes

My testosterone got down to 16, then 22, then 27, 44, 49 then 34. All the while my PSA was decreasing; PSA now 3.4 No one could explain the mystery of increasing testosterone and declining PSA. My Hospital Cancer Center doesn't carry Firmagon.

I will take the test at 11:00 AM, I will try it before 10:00 AM, at your suggestion.

Rich

I was wrong - there WAS a small (n=36) randomized study that compared low fat meals and high fat meals. They found "In mCRPC patients, abiraterone [plasma levels] was two-fold higher with a high‐fat meal and similar with a low‐fat meal versus modified fasting state."

accp1.onlinelibrary.wiley.c...

So if you're going to do this (under doctor supervision), you're better off taking it with a high fat meal.

1 like

TA - to be precise, n=36 is he number if “healthy” participants. I don’t see a number for the mCRPC.

1 like

My father will start Zytiga tomorrow. So is it low fat or higher fat meal? His MO recommended 2 pills with breakfast.

His DLL3 negative, still waiting for the results from somatostatin and foundation one.

It looks like a 1000 mg fasting dose = 500 mg low fat dose = 250 mg high fat dose, but everyone will be different. I very much agree that this should only be done with medical oversight.

1 like

If you do this, you should do it with your medical oncologist oversight; in that, you should have monthly blood tests to check your liver status.

Rich

My Dr. at harvard medical said to do it with a high fat meal a few years back. I did full dose with bacon and eggs, with fried potates and high fat yogurt. First bacon and eggs I had in over 7 years up until that time.

1 like

It's easy to miss the point. It isn't so much about the fat as the meal.

"We sought to test the hypothesis that low-dose AA (LOW; 250 mg with a low-fat meal) would have comparable activity to standard AA (STD; 1,000 mg fasting) in patients with CRPC."

"At 12 weeks, there was a greater effect on PSA in the LOW arm ... compared with STD (-1.19), and noninferiority of LOW was established according to predefined criteria." [1]

NOTE that there was no "HIGH" arm, so we can draw no conclusion about the cheese burger breakfast.

Noninferiority was established, so men can have the drug with food, & at quarter of the dose with the low-fat breakfast. We don't know what the dose would be with a high fat meal.

As with many food-related studies, there seems to be bias against fat. The researchers probably felt that high fat was bad. & traditional breakfasts can be high in fat. Hence we have the structure of the study & the inevitable misinterpretation of the findings.

Note that "a conventional low-fat breakfast" was not defined [2]. But they don't mean Dean Ornish.

-Patrick

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/295...

[2] clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show...

You must have missed the University of Toronto study.

... and this randomized trial:

accp1.onlinelibrary.wiley.c...

Allen,

My point was that the new study showed that a meal taken with the drug allowed the dose to be lowered. The fact that it was a low-fat meal might lead some to think that the meal has to be be low-fat. Hence the cheeseburger comment by BBruce.

-Patrick

Pat, and in the case of man doing all 4 pills while fasting, when he fails Zytiga, He can sometimes get more time by adding a high fat diet, either one is a benefit to different subsets of patients.IMO it is important to get all we can out of our limited treatments.Also I had previously posted in when failing zytiga sometimes we get more time by switching steroids from prednisone to dexamethasone.

Low or high fat is secondary. The point (if proven true) is that we can achieve same/ better outcome with less chemical and financial toxicity.

There has to be a way to establish this without waiting for another 5years.

Cut it out guys, all this is making me hungry...

Good Luck and Good Health.

j-o-h-n Friday 03/30/2018 2:06 PM EDT

2 likes

Is anyone trying this ? My husband currently follows his oncologists instructions and has it on an empty stomach at least an hour.. usually 2 hours before breakfast.

thanks!

You may also like...