Does cannabis oil kill prostate cancer?

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has read the story about Dennis Hill and how he cured his prostate cancer using cannabis oil? Is this a true story, and does, in fact, this treatment really work? Also, if medical marijuana is an effective cancer pain reliever, then why do medical institutions such as Mayo Clinic, not readily prescribe cannabis oil? Rochester Minnesota does have a medical marijuana dispensary!

Mark58

27 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Mark, this comes up quite a bit so if you use the search function you'll find other posts about this topic. I've joined loads of Facebook groups and seen some amazing anecdotes about curing their cancer with CO (cannabis oil) and I have not yet found one genuine story where the user had advanced prostate cancer. When someone does claim to be disease free, there is always something else going on such as ADT and/or chemotherapy. I wish it was possible to cure PCa with CO but so far I've come up a blank. I did see one guy who seemed to have success, but he had a very low grade form Gleason 6. I have no idea about the truth about Dennis Hill, I have read just about everything ever written about him, but I'm skeptical. Why he's the only one who's succeeded when so many else have failed, I have to idea. I hope someone else can shed more light on it.

• Thank You!

• Not shown to do so in any study, as per paulofaus BUT well known to have therapeutic effect on many symptoms, including many not related to cancer (e.g. migraines). One of my Drs gave it a ringing endorsement. No downside other than a small chance of testing false positive for maryjane. If you do have to take pee tests for your job, read numerous articles on the net and weigh the risk of that low probability. I'm going to up my consumption to seek relief from my new and worsening neuropathy.

• Thanks!

• My neuropathy seems to continue worsening, was taking Gabapentin 300 mg but decided to eliminate one of the several drugs I'm taking. After 2 weeks of that elimination the pain seems to be the same, so I'm ready to try something else. CO might be the next choice. What's causing the peripheral neuropathy, maybe Elligard and Xgeva combo, I need them, but would like to know.

• I had neuropathy before,but now after 2yrs of treatments ,procedures and 1solid yr of strong antibiotics it now at times feels 20X worse. C.O. works so does a good foot massage hot and cold dipping,and low impact cardio often. Accupunture does wonders for some also..I'd look into dietary fixes also anti inflammatory veggies... .

• Well said

• endoca.com/blog/news/cbd-oi...

Summary: It can't hurt. Keep at your regular treatments. Nobody knows.

• Thankd

• Mark,

Everyone seems to have heard of Dennis Hill. Anecdotal evidence can be treacherous - people shape their stories so as to be convincing, & one rarely get the full picture.

But I did have a response to a similar question a year ago - see below.

-Patrick

What keeps my interest in this topic alive, is the presence of cannabinoid receptors in the prostate, particularly CB1.

Incidentally, the natural ligand that binds to CB1 & CB2 is anandamide. The body doesn't make much & it is cleared quickly. It was discovered ~25 years ago. A synthetic analog of anandamide is methanandamide.

The discovery [3] [4] that CB1 is upregulated in PCa cells, coupled with research showing that CB1 could be an attractive therapeutic target, seems almost too good to be true. However, PCa also upregulates FAAH (fatty acid amide hydrolase), the enzyme that metabolizes cannabinoids. It looks as though a FAAH inhibitor will be needed, for CB1/CB2 agonists to be effective. [8]

Almost all of the patient interest in cannabinoids is confined to cannabis sativa. There is an assumption that the psychoactive THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) must be the only active ingredient. However, CBD (cannabidiol) shouldn't be ignored, particularly since there are hemp oil companies that mail CBD products to every U.S. state. Seemingly, legally at the moment. [6]

Ultimately, we might see a synthetic therapeutic cannabinoid with a strong affinity for binding to CB1/CB2, without the psychoactivity of THC. Some PCa studies have used WIN 55,212-2, which is a much more powerful CB1 agonist than THC. It is banned in the UK, so presumably is not without psychoactivity.

For a 2013 review of the literature, see [7].

{The vanilloid receptors in the prostate are also of interest, since there is some overlap with the cannabinoid receptors, in terms of the ligands that bind to them. The most well-known vanilloid receptor ligand is capsaicin, from cayenne.}

Studies:

[1] (2003) "Both mRNA for CB(1) and the corresponding protein are expressed in the human prostate gland at a level comparable with the receptor expressed in cerebellum. ... Immunohistochemical studies show that CB(1) is preferentially expressed in the epithelia of the prostate."

[2] (2003) "The potent anti-proliferative and cytotoxic effects of {Anandamide} on metastatic prostatic cancer cells might provide basis for the design of new therapeutic agents for effective treatment of recurrent and invasive prostatic cancers."

[3] (2005) "... expression of both CB1 and CB2 receptors was significantly higher in prostate cancer cells LNCaP, DUI45, PC3 ... as compared with normal prostate cells ..."

[4] (2009) In biopsies from Swedish men "... the tumour CB(1)IR score and the Gleason score were independent prognostic variables. It is concluded that a high tumour CB(1)IR score is associated with prostate cancer severity and outcome."

[5] (2009) "This study defines the involvement of CB(2)-mediated signalling in the in vivo and in vitro growth inhibition of prostate cancer cells and suggests that CB(2) agonists have potential therapeutic interest and deserve to be explored in the management of prostate cancer."

[6] (2013) "Cannabidiol (CBD) significantly inhibited cell viability."

"Two standard drugs for the treatment of prostate cancer, bicalutamide and docetaxel, were tested on either LNCaP or DU-145 cells, cultured in the presence of serum, with or without different concentrations of CBD. Given alone, docetaxel did not markedly affect the proliferation of LNCaP cells (IC50 > 25 µM), however, when tested in combination with pure CBD, a greater effect was observed, even though this appeared to be due to an additive effect (Figure S3A). Docetaxel was more effective at inhibiting DU-145 cell growth, and CBD (only at the lowest concentration tested) potentiated the effect of this compound (Figure S3C). Finally, CBD significantly enhanced the efficacy of bicalutamide (10 µM) on LNCaP cells, although only at the highest dose tested (Figure S3B)."

"We carried out studies in vivo on the effects of docetaxel, bicalutamide and CBD–BDS on xenograft tumours obtained in athymic mice with LNCaP and DU-145 cells. CBD–BDS dose-dependently inhibited the growth of xenografts from LNCaP, but not DU-145, cells. At the highest dose tested (100 mg·kg−1, i.p.), the extract exerted an effect on LNCaP xenografts, quantitatively similar to that of docetaxel (5 mg·kg−1, i.v.), although it reduced the tumour growth inhibitory effect of this agent (Figure 2A). In DU-145 cell xenografts, CBD–BDS significantly potentiated docetaxel (Figure 2B). In a second experiment with xenograft tumours from LNCaP cells, two doses (25 and 50 mg·kg−1, p.o.) of bicalutamide alone or CBD–BDS alone (100 mg·kg−1, i.p.) produced little effect on tumour weight and volume at the end of the treatment, possibly because this experiment was interrupted after only 35 days. However, co-administration of bicalutamide at 25 mg·kg−1 and CBD–BDS significantly inhibited xenograft growth (Figure 2C). In a third experiment, survival was assessed by Kaplan–Meier analysis. After 47 days of treatment, CBD–BDS plus bicalutamide significantly prolonged survival as compared with bicalutamide or CBD–BDS alone (Figure 2D)."

-Patrick

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/124...

[2] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/127...

[3] cancerres.aacrjournals.org/...

[4] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/190...

[5] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/196...

[6] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

[7] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

[8] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/208...

Reply Like (2)

• Thanks

• Interesting studies, thank you.

• Here's what MSKCC said not long ago about this and a couple of other topics.

mskcc.org/blog/truth-behind...

It can be quite a leap to get from studies of biochemistry in lab cell cultures to studies involving live mice to well-designed Clinical Trials demonstrating safety and efficacy in humans for the treatment of any specific type of cancer. Palliative or symptom-management needs will likely continue to be the primary uses of cannabis products for a good while, as opposed to the medical prevention, cure, or treatment of cancers.

Charles

• Thanks

• Charles,

While I don't disagree with the opinions in the link, I feel that by combining Cannabis Oil, Laetrile & Manipulating pH Levels, the effect will be to make the users of the first seem as delusional as the users of the other two. That's unfair.

-Patrick

• Two reasons hospital or HMO doctors won't prescribe:

1. Lack of double-blind studies in human showing a significant advantage. (Who knows where we might be on that front if the federal government had not made research so difficult for all these years, perhaps doing the bidding of the alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceutical, law enforcement and corrections industries?)

2. Fear that the DEA will revoke their ability to prescribe narcotics, and other concerns about repercussions on their ability to practice medicine or keep their jobs.

• I can tell you of my experience. I took it early on before Casodex and it slowed my PSA and even saw it drop a few times, however my disease progressed maybe at a slightly slower pace. My disease has moved on in a typical manner and I'm now failing Zytiga after a little more than a year. I still use it as there are other benefits...better sleep, lowered anxiety, pain relief. I have Gleason scores of 9 and 10...it's my guess that a less aggressive prostate cancer could be halted or even cured with the oil. Make no mistake...whatever your feeling about getting very high are...be prepared. My stoner friends don't even use it.

• Hi Wrando,

What oil do you use and where do you get it? Unfortunately, I live in the very unenlightened state of Texas and can't get medical marijuana.

Clint

• Clint,

The people who sell CBD oil, mail to every State. The THC component is small but variable, & can sometimes get above the accepted range. The FDA would normally jump over any company pushing a product for cancer treatment. But they say it falls under the jurisdiction of the DEA, who appear to be ignoring the issue.

Will Jeff Sessions step in & shut hown the industry?

Meanwhile, you will not get into trouble for purchasing CBD oil.

-Patrick

• Clint

I don't know how legally. There are a couple of facebook sites that deal with it. There many helpful people and some will give you tailor made prescriptions. I will tell you this because I'm 100% sure...don't buy any cbd or Cannabis oil online. It's all worthless and a huge rip-off. You can make it yourself...let me know if you pursue it.

I did see some interesting clinical trials being run in Texas.

• Thanks!

• Bravo! Rando...

• Then someone must travel or know someone to help....In the eyes of law the stupidity continues ,inTexxas it might always.But in the eyes of many cancer Drs there is notation of the harmlessness and for many patients the benefits towards side effects and symptoms of treatment and meds..I personally believe that Canabis Oil in the proper RS oil method does implode "C" cells and does not harm healthy cells..That is the theory ... Opposed views might see my ignorance but also must see some bliss..When facing this animal inside of us ,we can choose to "Kill" this beast that actually is our own body fighting itself or heal this sick kid that we be raised so well ..Doing things that heal are needed in my opinion to counteract the the Killing treatments that most of us have taken in order to see another day.. So M. M. Compared to rest of the protcals is a pleasure..I'll try almost anything if I believe it could help......I'm on the test tak-700 drug with all the crazy side effects and who knows what that'll do to me now or in the long run. Only a couple of guarentees in life everything else is on faith.. Rec M. M. In Colorado so any one 21 w/ID can buy RS oil there.. Enjoy life !

• FYI... I went through a very intensive regimen with THC and CBD oils for about 4 months to see if it would impact my metastatic cancer. I managed the ratios and built up to several hundred milligrams of each per day. (I was very altered!) I did this in CA using oil from WAMM in Santa Cruz and in conversation with the director and other patients there about suggested regimen. I did this before going on ADT because I wanted to measure any impact on my PSA... which continued rising. So... no luck here... just another anecdote.

• Thanks-That helps a lot!

Mark58

• I voted for medical marijuana years ago thinking that I might need it one day. Prostate cancer is a qualifying condition so I have my card. I have a very active history of sprouting basal cell skin cancers. I have a cannabis tincture that I am applying to precancerous lesions. So I guess I am a cannabis researcher? I haven't decided yet whether I even like the effects of smoking it. I guess it is a vacation of sorts. I am wondering about the potential to ward off dementia. There was a 'weediquette' show I watched suggesting the use of cannabis to protect football players' brains from the effects of concussions. I'd like to believe that there are medical benefits to be had from this plant. Too bad the government actively discourages research of it. Oh yeah. I did read Dennis Hill's account with interest. That probably convinced me to get my MM card.

• Good message. If you're not sure whether you like how you feel after you smoke, you might not be smoking the right strain to get you where you want to go. I like Cookies, or a comparable strain that leaves me feeling more cheerful, more social, more appreciative of whatever there is around me to enjoy & less aware of or bothered by pain--& yet not so loaded that I can't get some work done if that's what I need or want to do. The staff at your dispensary should be able to help you choose a strain likely to get you where you'd like to arrive when you smoke. Good luck!

The pleasure millions of people get from smoking marijuana involves the stimulation of pleasure hormones, while suppressing stress hormones. You may recognize this as similar to the way you can feel after athletic activity, a concert, a chocolate chip cookie, sex, etc. Note that increasing pleasure hormones & decreasing stress hormones is believed even by Western medicine to help fight cancer.

Smoking isn't a cure or a substitute for medications or other treatments. If cannabis has a potential to achieve great things with PCa, it would involve concentrated versions, such as cannabis oil. Some people with significant pain say it helps them fight the pain.

There are known benefits during chemo. There were small studies that suggested benefits. It's a crime against us that we don't have the research we need to make informed decisions.

You may also like...