Trigger Finger, Finger Joint Pain Analysis

About a month plus ago I asked for men who were experiencing that in the title to respond to me. I received exactly 30 responses, 28 had details, of drug use. 2 respondents had nothing to note, just that they had the malady.

Having been suspicious in my case, that having had an X-ray by my GP, one by my Orthopedic Hand Surgeon, and an MRI---which all showed perfect hands, and fingers. A CT Scan might have shown a shortening of the tendons or ligaments, but I did not go there.

Instead, I opted for a C-Reactive Protein Test to prove I had abnormal Inflammation, as pain normally would show some inflammation. Well my C-Reactive Protein came back abnormal. It showed Undetectable. And none of my Docs. ever saw an undetectable. Well I figured it was due to certain supplements I am taking, but cannot prove it.

So to go forth with a thesis that this Malady was drug induced, I asked for men to participate in this survey.

Results: 30 responses: 2 eliminated for lack of info. of the 28 men who provided drug information, 10 where both on ADT and Metformin, and the other 18 only indicated ADT.

There was suspicion, that some of the men only on ADT with Trigger Finger, may have been on Metformin also, and did not count it. That was subjectively determined by reading how the men presented their information. Absolutely some were not on Metformin, they made that clear. No time study was analyzed, to determine how long it took from the beginning of the taking of the drugs, like in my situation, I started Metformin a year after starting ADT. A much larger sample would be required with definitive start dates from the respondents. Taking into account when each protocol was started, and to the best of their knowledge how long it took to define the finger pain.

So this study is not scientifically correct as to being able to statistically be able to calculate % significance data, regarding use of the drugs. But we can make some intuitive conclusions.

Conclusion: That men either on ADT alone, but more surely with the addition of Metformin, have an unknown % of probability to acquiring this Malady. It is understood, theoretically, that age probably would have to be a consideration. Best proposal would seem to indicate the older you are there is a greater likelihood, with use of these drugs.

The incongruity of the lack of inflammation in my case, is a mystery.

Alan Meyer made a valuable contribution as to the use of using squeeze balls, and hand grippers, usually used to build hand strength, as a plausible cure. I have added hand exercise, and I am seeing some minor positive improvement.

Another improvement is coming from a new Supplement, I have added., called ROOT2, BioCell Collagen, Which you can get at Vitacost--It appears it is made for them by Life Extension and contains: Proprietary Chicken Sternal Cartilage Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen Type 2, Chondroitin Sulfate, and Hyaluronic Acid. From my perch, a real advancement in joint, tendon and ligament supplementation.

Anyway this concludes my investigation. I will for myself, continue the Alan Meyer protocol, and the ROOT2. Hope there was value above.

Nalakrats

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • For others with the problem:

I was doing about 1,000 squeezes per day with each hand (100-200 squeezes at a time) using one of those steel spring hand squeezers. Often, when not doing anything else with my hands, I squeeze them into fists and open them again with isometric resistance of the close and open muscles for the fingers, or do other finger exercises.

The other components are:

Use hot and cold water to rinse the hands when they're cramped or painful. That temporarily freed the cramping, pain, and trigger finger for me.

Sleep with the hands closed in fists. That reduced the incidence of waking up with stiff hands.

Incidentally, I looked up the drug label for one of the Lupron preparations and it said up to 33% of men taking Lupron long term (I don't remember the actual time period) will experience "joint pain".

Alan

• Nalakrats,

I had trigger finger. I could not make a closed fist. The surgeon said without surgery I would not be able to close my fist. I did not have surgery, and instead squeezed my rubber ball and tried to close my fists. Eight months later I could to make a fist.

Rich

• I also mostly recovered from this. At first, i had trigger finger in 4 or 5 fingers. It was super painful when i woke up in the morning. Now, a year later, i have just some slight stiffness in the morning, but no trigger and i can close my fists. So maybe my body was just reacting to the hormone changes at the beginning? I didn't really do anything about it, no surgery, no special exercises. It just seemed to slowly get better.

• Interesting Info

Nalakrats

You may also like...