Urinary melatonin-sulfate/cortisol ratio

New Taiwanese study [1] below.

There are a number of interesting PCa papers on melatonin. Melatonin will be a topic in my "Foods/Supplements-Vitamins:" series of posts.

I take a lot of metatonin: 50 mg nightly. For those who don't take any, its important to know that turning a light on during the night will stop production. (Don't sleep with a light on, either.) Shift workers experience more PCa. & so on. (Night nurses get more BCa.)

Cortisol is the stress hormone.

Intuitively, increasing the melatonin:cortisol ratio should be desirable, regardless of PCa.

Relora will be a future topic too. It is marketed as a diet aid. Which is a little crazy. What it does is reduce the anxiety that causes some to head to the refrigerator. It lowers cortisol levels.

Cortisol levels are supposed to decrease at night, but they are at the highest 24-hour level at about 7 a.m., coinciding with peak testosterone for the day. (Overproduction of cortisol will kill libido as effectively as underproduction of testosterone.)

For many men with PCa, cortisol levels will be elevated at some point - perhaps chronically so.

Relora contains: "Magnolia (Magnolia officinalis) and Phellodendron (Phellodendron amurense) barks." Coincidentally, both of which have activity against PCa cells. But see [2] for the Relora/Cortisol study. Can be taken at any time, but just before bed makes most sense - unless you take it more than once / day.

In the new study [1] of the urinary melatonin-sulfate/cortisol (MT/C) ratio:

"... those with above-median levels were significantly less likely to have prostate cancer ..." (41% less likely)

"... or advanced stage prostate cancer ..." (51% less likely)

"The combined effect of both low MT/C ratios and PSA levels exceeding 10 ng/ml was an 8.82-fold greater likelihood of prostate cancer and a 32.06-fold greater likelihood of advanced stage prostate cancer, compared to those with both high MT/C ratios and PSA levels less than 10 ng/ml."

I have always resisted the impulse to assign blame for my PCa. I have had some work-related periods of intense stress, but that has to be fairly common. When I read the following, 11 years ago, I shrugged it off:

"Jim Kiefert {chairman of the board of Us Too in 2005}, is absolutely convinced that stress led to his prostate cancer. It was diagnosed in 1989, when he was 50. Mr. Kiefert was a school superintendent, and he was in the midst of difficult negotiations with teachers over their contracts. "I was stressed out," he says. "I know stress caused my cancer." [3]

Jim is still around. 2013 video:

He runs a support group in Olympia, Washington (for those who live nearby & didn't know of it):

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/273...

[2] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/239...

[3] nytimes.com/2005/11/29/heal...

You may also like...