Getting a Dr to give ADHD meds when you have past drug use

Not sure if anyone here has had this problem-- I am a past drug user & I have been treated for ADHD with stimulants before. Now, all of a sudden I am having problems getting my psych to write them. Anyone got any tips on what to say or what to do? Thanks in advance!! :)

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh.. and I also binge eat. That's the main reason I want back on Vyvanse. But I have no clue what to try to begin to tell the doctor!

Hello Kayla.

A great book that could help you understand the food and our minds is Bright Line Eating. REALLY good - I just listened to a chapter that finally helped me understand my mind's sabotaging reaction to elements in my life - food and emotion. When I add in a lack of focus or direction, no wonder I feel life can be so much work!

As a career and college/life success coach, who works with ADHD clients, I'm so thankful for more and more understanding of the real science of our brains.

1 like

Did you abuse you medication? What if you ask your doctor to prescribe it one week at a time.

Mine does is two weeks at a time. Works great, no problems, over a year sober.

Congratulations! I am on that path right now

Thank you!! It really helped me get my needs met by showing my psych that I understood my addiction, and took sobriety very seriously. I would have done that no matter what anyway, but he is able to trust me and knows I’m responsible. I hope you get the help you deserve.

Thank you! It’s a long process for me

So your main reason to get on Vyvanse is because of your binge eating?? Yeah, i wouldn’t know what to “say” to your doctor. You should try a therapist for your addictions.

I ended up getting prescribed the non-stimulant type of ADHD med for this reason. (They consider me a drug user for marijuana, although this was before it became legal to use recreationally in my state). I like the non-stimulant variety and I do think it cuts down on binge eating as well; I feel like I get a satisfied feeling after eating a meal, that I imagine is what a lot of "normal" people get when they eat.

You may also like...