Adult ADHD Support

Hope floats...

Hello, n Happy New Year!

This is so new to me that I'm worried I'll keep rambling on and on... My brother tells me I'm better when I write, rather than when I'm simply talking, which is true... So, let me start by admitting that I have been trying to get my diagnosis from my GP, after years of struggling without having any idea how much I needed the help. I've got two daughters, one with ADD and the older with 9Pminus syndrome and it's associated Learning Difficulties. It was my Cousin who suggested I seek help. He has ADHD too and we met after 10 years last month. ( he lives in Australia).

I am hoping a formal diagnosis will open avenues such as medical help because I've been struggling a lot more recently. I'm not able to sleep more than four hrs a night since 25 odd years, I forget where I keep things even if I accidentally moved them myself. I am aware I'm disorganised and need writing things down and keep things going by making routine-charts, To-Do lists ( daily) and list everything.

Can anyone suggest what and how to tell the GP I'd like to be assessed, please??

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, I am sorry no one has responded. I myself don't know how to reply. But let me try though. I basically told my doctor all my symptoms and she asked if I had tested for ADHD. My therapist suggested that I had it, so I looked into that, and boom. I seem to fit the criteria. Just knowing this has changed my attitudes, and given me more peace. I did get some medication from my doctor, but honestly I use it about once a month, and only in days when I write or grade a lot.. I don't need it more often. However I have increased my meditation practice and do it in the morning with the intention to be focused. I also use binaural music and guided meditations during the day. This helps a lot. I am however aware that I am most probably a mild case (I have a PhD and am a professor: The ADD never got on the way of my learning, but it does get on the way of my daily life: I lose everything.)

1 like

Thank you dear EladeCali

I'm hoping to start by listing everything down that I struggle with. The GP is a very good doctor so I'm sure he'll catch on to whatever is wrong with me.

I work in the Hospital as a phlebotomist and I like to routine of the job. A few years ago I was in another role, as an HCA in Neurophysiology, and I found I like routines and regularity in my work and home life.

I hope to get diagnosed and in turn, be able to help my daughters understand their needs and be able to ( on their behalf, whenever necessary) articulate these....

I'm very thankful to you for your reply!

Regards,

Ruchi.

Tell your GP that you would like to be referred to a psychiatrist for a mental evaluation. I feel that is the best physician to diagnosis you. When I first went I was afraid I might be bi-polar but the doctor told me that bi-polar and ADHD can have the same symptoms so you need a proper diagnosis

1 like

You may also like...