WOW! NO BELLS & WHISTLES?

Just got diagnosed at 49 a few month back. I was put on ER Adderall and was quite surprised at how the medication worked so subtlely. I was expecting to feel like the zombie that I've seen kids through the years turn into when administered stimulants for ADHD.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome! I thought generic Ritalin was also pretty subtle, but it really helped once I got to an accurate dosage. I hope you’re feeling good about your progress with meds. Unfortunately for me, I need to learn LOTS of other skills to get closer to feeling like I’m making progress. I’m learning to love incremental progress. Best Wishes! Diana

• Well do you think that subtlety might mean wrong dosage? I tried doubling once and I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

• When Ritalin was first prescribed to me, my doc gave me 10mg pills and told me to take them until I noticed a difference. I didn't understand that she meant I should add pills until I experienced a positive effect! So I stumbled along for 3 months not noticing any difference! Eventually, I worked up to a 40mg dose for approx. 4 hours of focus. On the busiest of days, I would normally take that dose twice for approx. 8 hours of focus. I could do that three times on occasion, but then the drug would interfere with my ability to sleep. When I really need to focus, that has worked for me. On the other hand, I’m a plus-sized human. I expect weight/height influences your body dose. People often respond very differently to medications. If you don't notice a change with twice the dose, talk to your doctor.

From what I’m reading, it seems to take many people a few months to figure out what works. You may also need to consider other things that influence your focus: coffee intake, chocolate, etc. Patience isn’t my strong suit... but you may want to discuss a method with your doc (try X for Y days, if nothing, then try Z for Y days, etc.). Be sure you’re getting plenty of rest and listen carefully to how your body/mind is feeling. This new medication experience may take awhile to understand. Unfortunately, you’re the only one who can KNOW how you’re feeling!

I tell everyone about Jessica McCabe’s “How to ADHD” videos on YouTube. I’ve found them to be very comforting when I’m feeling like nothing is working. Hang in there!

• Thank you so much for that. I wish I could explain things that clearly, lol! I will definitely check out those videos!

• My 44 yo son was just rediagnosed with add and I sas wondering how you are doing with your meds. He is anxious about meds.

• I'm good. I really like the idea of being able to focus when I need to although I do still get distracted from time to time and need to get myself back on task but this is much easier for me to do with meds.

You may also like...