Hi. I write this post from my hospital bed. A week ago I was admitted after suffering pain, cold and numbness in my right foot reaching up to my mid-calf. After a visit to the walk-in centre and several tests and a CT scan at A&E they diagnosed a blood clot just below the knee.
I am a fit and healthy 32yr old, I do not smoke, have not travelled recently or undergone any kind of trauma to my leg, I have no family history or previous DVT issues and I am not on the combined pill. I suffer Raynauds Syndrome and have Sickle Cell Trait.
I was first put on an intravenous infusion of Heparin at 0.70ml/hr (reduced from 1.2ml/hr after my blood thinned too much after 6hrs). I remained on this from the early hrs of Friday morning until Sunday afternoon. It then changed to Clexane injections (97.5mg (I think that's the unit. Dr states this is a high dose as usually 40mg given to patients). I have been giving myself the injections once each day. The pain in my foot disappeared today (Thu) but have been experiencing a dull aching sensation from the hip to my calf since Mon/Tue but the Dr assures me this means the discovered clot is dispersing/dissolving??
Regular obs indicate my blood pressure, temp and heart rate are fine, though at times my BP has been low and my heart rate is approx. 50-55. I was informed that my bloods on admission indicated a low white blood cell count and this has dipped since being in hospital and now remains constant but still low.
I have undergone:
- a CT scan (found clot)
- two ECGs (showed no concerns)
- an Echogcardiograph (showed no concerns)
- Several bloods have been taken but four taken specifically for testing for disorders/causes. Dr states results returned from one was negative (this was looking at a variety of conditions). I am now awaiting the results of three others (not likely to return until next week but I'm possibly being discharged tomorrow with Clexane until results return).
- I was seen by the Senior Rheumatology Consultant today and she appeared to be asking questions relating to signs for Lupus. However, from research I do not believe I fit this (though I know there can be several types and I've mainly researched SLE). This consultant has requested a second Echo (likely to be an oesophageal one) and some other tests, which I am sure I will discover tomorrow when my consultant is on ward rounds.
As my post title states, I am off travelling in Canada, USA, Singapore, SE Asia, China and Japan and leave in 5 weeks. Firstly, I am concerned if I will be allowed to fly, secondly, what kind of questions or tests I should be asking my doctor for, if not already done. Thirdly, if I am able to fly, is anyone able to signpost me to a good and reputable travel insurance company?
As all my test results are not back yet, I know the above and below may be difficult to answer but I am trying to pre-empt the different possibilities and so far I see two and have the following questions:
1) All results return and no cause is found for the DVT.
+ Is this common?
+ How is it likely to treated?
+ Could DVT/blood management be determined in 5 weeks ready for my trip?
+ Is there a likelihood that I would then need to use health services abroad to monitor the management or could I do this myself (or am I being naive)?
2) The last three results return and a cause is found.
+ From the info I have given above, does anyone have any suggestions of what the issue could be or has anyone endured anything similar in relation to their DVT (I'm not looking to accept your comments as a diagnosis and nor would I, I just want to gain more knowledge and possible angles to explore).
+ From the info above, is there anything I'm missing given I have never dealt with this before?
Any help/advice appreciated.